“A charming diamond in the rough”
Review of The Bergson

The Bergson
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
San Diego, California
“A charming diamond in the rough”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed here on Friday night and were met by a friendly staff person who was happy to see us. The Inn is small with a tranquil garden setting and room (#12) has some charming elements including a full size fireplace, beautiful King bed, and an addiitonal day bed which we used to store our luggage. More on that later! The breakfast was more than ample with fruit, bagels, pastries, mini quiches, cereal and yogurt, but go early because by 9:45 am it was slim pickins. This property has been recently purchased by a new company and I'm sure they're aware of the "needs improvement items" and will make changes as fast as they can. Here are the things I would change ASAP. The lighting in the bathroom vanity area is too dark and the mirror is rusted so I had to put my makeup on in the patio area with a compact mirror. There's a privacy issue where the toilet is. The sliding doors are from a closet but are 4" too short on the sides and bottom of the doors. The jacuzzi tub is nice but the water pressure on the shower head is so forceful that it is like a fire hose. The shower curtain only came down half way, so the floor was sopping wet in about 10 seconds. I had to angle the shower head toward the wall to avoid a flood. The bed is beautiful but it's huge and right in front of it is a tv is on a huge cabinet. There's very little walking space bewteen the bed and T.V. There's also no place to stack luggage so we used the day bed. A mini-fridge would be a great addition! Again, I want to stress that this is a charming diamond in the rough, and I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 2, 2012

This is based on a stay in room 9. Great location, friendly staff, lovely landscaping, cozy gas burning fireplace. However, for $200 you get a room that is only big enough to fit the bed in and a "patio" that is really the landing to the room that is three feet from the parking space. For the money, try exploring any number of the great B&B's in the area so you won't feel so cooped up! Room was clean, but hardly luxury. I can't speak to the other rooms, but avoid #9!

Room Tip: call to check actual size and location of the room - varies widely
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed here about a month ago together, while on a trip to CA just the two fo us. WE were both very pleased with the location of the Inn, and even more impressed with the staff. Everyone was very kind, and gave of us tips of the best local places to visit.

Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We arrived after midnight, quite exhausted, but found a very warm reception from the Inn keeper and an unbelievably clean and comfortable suite. The fire was burning bright and the jacuzzi tub was a welcome treat to our tired travel bones. I recommend Christopher's Inn 7 days a week on twice on Sunday!

Cheers,
Brian

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank briguy410
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 16, 2012

We thought this was a great place to stay when in Calistoga. it is not a spa but there are plenty close by. It is a little pricey but so is everything else in Napa Valley. The TV is not great but no one comes here to watch TV. I was very pleased with our location and accommodations and would have changed very little.

1 Thank Andy2112
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed March 9, 2012

My husband and I arrived in Napa Valley as we do every year at this time to celebrate our anniversary. We pulled into the driveway and were immediately disappointed. The Christopher Inn in our opinion looked runned down from the exterior. When we entered to check in, the office smelled of burnt coffee and the Dixie cups full of pub mix was uninviting. We are not snobs by any means, but when you are going to spend $600 plus for two nights you should expect more than a Dixie cup greeting you. Adella was very nice and showed us three different rooms as our first one was dirty and had hair and mildew and a silver fish in the shower. The second room we viewed was better, but the wolf spider and the dirty Jacuzzi and funky worn and stained pink carpeting Along with cob webs in-between the TV and wall through us off. The third and final room was one of the suites upstairs from the reception desk and looked promising. By this time we were done and asked to be allowed to get a refund. Not to mention it is located directly on the Hwy. We were so disappointed as we were excited about staying. This place is in serious need of renovation.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Laurapear
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed February 22, 2012

At first I was skeptical after looking at users photos but with a last minute trip we had no other choice! I was really scared to learn I was getting the same room, but was ever o pleasantly surprised. Warmed pastries, decanted wine and a roaring fire awaited me. The bathroom was mildew free , dated but reminded me of taking a bath at grannies house - the sounds f birds were amazing along with the fountain. As an avid bird watcher I was pleasantly surprised to see a varied thrush as well as an Oregon junko and humming bird all in one tree mean while a scrub jay and robin hoped on the ground ! I wanted to break out in song! The woman st the front recommended great spots that we could walk to so the night turned out great, I can't wait for my next day off especially when more if these flowers bloom! Love Calistoga

Room Tip: Book early for a jacuzzi tub !
1 Thank Jenniferbrooke
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Mount View Hotel & Spa
Indian Springs Resort and Spa
Solage, an Auberge Resort
Solage, an Auberge Resort
#2 of 15 in Calistoga

Been to The Bergson? Share your experiences!