“Mixed quality food; polite but inefficient staff”
Review of Boskos Trattoria

Boskos Trattoria
Ranked #6 of 44 Restaurants in Calistoga
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 23, 2009

We picked this because it looked like a decent choice for family dining in the area. The menu had a decent selection of Italian dishes at fairly reasonable prices for the Napa area. The staff seemed pleasant enough, but as the meal wore on they displayed tremendous inefficiency from the perspective of both the customer and the restaurant. They made no effort to offer more drinks (wine and beer - so revenue lost), and committed one of my personal pet peeves - bringing the entrees before we had finished our appetizers. When the entrees were cleared the bill was immediately put on the table. I informed them that our daughter wanted a dessert. Ironically I wish I hadn't, since the tiramasu ended up being a big stodgy sponge concoction in a typical USA quantity over quality kind of way. Kids' Spaghetti Meatballs was adequate / Napolitana Pizza was OK / Gnocchi was good. All in all, not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but could have been much better with a little training or attention.

There are newer reviews for Boskos Trattoria

Reviewed June 2, 2009

My wife and I were celebrating out 10th wedding anniversary in Napa. I included Boskos Trattoria in our itinerary since we were in the area. The ambience was welcoming but overshadowed by the personnel’s disappointing performance and the average food quality.
The server was not informative, courteous, attentive, prompt or efficient. Took about Refills were far in between as well as seeing other people being served that arrived and ordered after us. I had a feeling that we were not welcomed in their restaurant. I still gave it a chance so I wouldn’t spoil our special outing. We ordered the following items: The Garlic Bread with the garlic butter and Romano Cheese and the Italian Sausage sandwich. My wife ordered the Bistecca Americano. The quality of my wife’s entrée was average and not worth the $21 price tag. Although the Garlic Bread was delicious, my entrée was also disappointing and certainly not exciting. I could have taken her to subway ordered a $5 meatball footlong and would have continued out wine tasting without delay and no fuss.

Our overall dining experience was disappointing and would never recommend this restaurant.

I almost forgot, the server was attentive only when he brought the bill and it was time to pay.

Reviewed March 7, 2009

My girlfriend and I ate dinner at Boskos Trattoria, it was a great choice! I ate a panini and my girlfriend ate chicken alfredo. Our waiter was very friendly and helpful as we were trying to decide on a good wine. The food was delicious, I highly reccommend this place for dinner!

2  Thank an8844
Reviewed November 15, 2008

This is a very good casual Italian place in Napa Valley. The service is good, the food is very fresh...we really enjoyed our dinner here.

My husband got the pepperoni pizza which was really, really good! I had the pasta dish with scallops which was also pretty good. The pasta is made in house and it is very fresh.

Definitely one of the better places to eat!

2  Thank soontobemrsf
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We were out all day and needed a quick bit of food before our reservation at one of those expensive restuarants. We stopped by and got a quick Margherita pizza. WOW! We looked at the winelist and had a glass. We then cancelled our reservations and ate there. Great service, even better than some of those big time places in Napa.

1  Thank ebrad0310