“Avoid this place!”

Cuisines: Sushi
Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania
“Avoid this place!”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Rather odd in that the owners do everything but not cheerfully. The sushi was passable but the whole experience wasn't a good one. Was in the mood for good japanese and didn't get it. Get your sushi fix elsewhere.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank PaDave

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“a four on a scale of 10”
Reviewed October 8, 2010

A passable sushi fix if you are hard up in Calistoga! I recommnend the steamed edamame and a large Saporo.

1 Thank fondacox43
cktng
“Worst Restaurant Ever!!!”
Reviewed December 16, 2009

My family and I were in Napa on Thanksgiving and stopped at Kitani. There were NO other customers when we entered. When I looked at the menu, I felt that his prices were high (for a sushi joint and when the food came, the sushi rolls were small). When the lady boss came to take our orders, she kept trying/pushing to sell the higher priced items on the menu. We did not succumb and ordered only what we wanted. When the sushi rolls came, they were small (relative to what I am usually served in San Francisco) and they gave very few ginger slices. When I asked for more, she said she will have to charge. I said go ahead, even though this would be a first for me (and I have to been to many sushi joints around the world).

So given that we weren't too thrilled with the prices and service that we got, and that the owners themselve were the ones preparing and serving the food (they had/have no staff), I decided to just leave the change as tips. (The total bill came to $56+ inclusive of taxes, so we paid $60)

When the male owner saw the tips, he shouted loudly about how Asians can't tip. When I heard that, I had half a mind to ask the money back from him. I mean come on, he already made 200% returns off the food (restaurants' food costs are usually 30%-40% of prices) + he already saved on labour and the service sucked. What more did he want?? But it was Thanksgiving after all, plus I had women folk with me. It wouldn't have been wise to get into a quarrel with a knife wielding cook.

That little episode ruined half our afternoon. While my parents were prepared to let it go, I decided that I can't allow this to happen to other people too. He was rude, ungrateful, and just plain un-nice. Don't think people should pay to receive such a horrible experience.

Thanks for reading.

4 Thank cktng
London, UK
“Not your average sushi restaurant”
Reviewed September 29, 2009

We initially wanted to eat at the Kitani Sushi one lunchtime, but were rather rudely turned away with the instruction: "Come back evening". We did venture back at about 8.15 pm but shortly after arriving it seemed that the restaurant was about to close, with tables being cleaned and things put away, which made for a rather unrelaxing atmosphere. The atmosphere is far from the pristine cleanliness one tends to associate with sushi restaurants as the place if full of Japanese kitsch, but it does have quite a homely feel, which isn't surprising given the husband and wife partnership behind it. The range of sushi includes the usual standards but also some unusual cooked fish sushi, such as the 'crazy monkey roll' and 'dragon roll', both apparently devised to counteract some disquiet about eating raw fish. We were informed that these were "very popular", but we didn't think they were that successful as the fish was deep-fried, which tended to swamp the delicate flavours. Standard sushi was good and tasty although the rolls were on the large size and tended to fall apart if one tried to bite in half.

2 Thank DELondon
california
“My favorite place to dine in Calistoga”
Reviewed August 1, 2009

My wife and I and our friends dine at Kitani restaurant often.. and were always commenting on how good the food was and how full we are when we leave. The sushi is always fresh and prepared perfectly. I havent tried everthing on the menu yet but I will. The service is always great. Your greeted at the door with a smile and a welcome. All I can say is I'm happy for Clive moving the coffee shop down town but I.m also glad it made room for Kitani restaurant