“Lovely New Resort”

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
California
“Lovely New Resort”
Reviewed April 23, 2009

We stayed here for our anniversary getaway. We took our 3 year old son. The grounds and the cottages are very, very nice. I read nearly all the reviews prior to booking our reservations. I noticed that most of the negative reviews were from the resort's first guests when it opened nearly 2 years ago. Now that the landscape has matured somewhat and the staff and service have been fine-tuned, I think many of those who were dismayed with their stay would find a different experience altogether if they were to give it another chance. It is a mite on the pricey side but there are definitely a lot of perks to staying here. Besides the gorgeous grounds, facilities and attentive staff, they supply complimentary cruisers, free wifi, iPod dock, and porches with each cottage. The food was good although, again, pricey. We didn't use the spa, opting for something more affordable at Lavender Hill. The gym is very nice. Our son loved the kiddie pool and the bocce courts and just wandering around the grounds. It's a really beautiful place and perfect for a relaxing getaway.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Sterling, Va
Reviewed April 22, 2009

The staff at Solage Calistoga is excellent. I started my visit with a deep tissue massage at the Spa and follow that up with a relaxing dip in the hot mineral pool. After my dip in the mineral pool, I had the most delectable shrimp and lettuce wraps at Solbar. After lunch I had the most wonderful facial ever ! I can't say enough about the staff at the Spa, they are very professional and knowIedgable about their individual craft. They never kept me or my friends waiting. The spa facilities are cozy and relaxing. When I returned to my room I was able to have a relaxing moment on my private patio. I had a large eco-friendly room and the bed was very comfortable. I really like the fact that they had a top-notched gym on the property, however, I only visited the gym, I did not work out. I also like the idea of riding bicycles on and off the property.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
springfield, mo
Reviewed April 21, 2009

The Solage is definitely an upscale resort, yet the atmosphere is relaxed and casual. We loved both the rooms and the grounds. The pool is beautiful, the fitness room is large with state of the art equipment. It is close to the main street of Calistoga. We enjoyed riding the bicycles (2 are provided for each room) through town. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed April 17, 2009

Pros: It's very sunny up in Calistoga, so when you go up in Sept, Oct, November (yes, even november, you can hang out by the pool). The pool is the best part of the hotel. It's spacious, generally quiet (except on Saturdays), really great if you are a lap swimmer. Try ordering the sliders and french fries as a snack in the afternoon. They are delicious. The gym is also excellent, spacious, has all the machines you need.

Cons: Expensive. The rooms go for over $550/night and these are the basic rooms without bathtubs. The showers are also very questionable. There isn't enough water pressure. Insects, yes, they are a problem. One night I woke up to an itch and turned on the light finding a very large insect on the bed. I think they come in from the front door which isn't sealed completely.

Overall: I really like this place, it is very relaxing. The food is good. Service is sometimes inconsistent especially in the restaurant. I've been there a couple times when it was pretty empty and I would have to stand waiting to be seated for over 5 mins because the manager is chatting with someone or just can't figure out which of the empty tables to seat us in.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
CT
Reviewed April 11, 2009

We had the most wonderful time at Solage! We arrived super late one night after hitting traffic coming out of SF. We were saying silent prayers the whole way up hoping they were still serving dinner as we were starved! We got there around 9PM, and greeted by a wonderful receptionist who alerted the kitchen we were coming! We had the most spectacular meal at their bistro, the Solbar...truly the best of our trip (separate review).

The room was super comfortable and we had a heavenly night’s sleep. The fireplace warmed us up wonderfully. My husband was delighted with the fact that you could make your own strength coffee (they provide the coffee grounds versus prepackaged amounts). I loved the Sumbody amenities and ended up buying them at the Spa to give my best friend for her birthday. I wished we had stayed longer to use the bicycles, but what a lovely touch!

We did stay for breakfast the next morning which we have to say was the absolute highlight of the entire trip (another separate review). All I will say is try the made to order cinnamon sugar donuts - oh my goodness!

This is a gem of a hotel and we will definitely be coming back with friends to visit the wineries surrounding the area. This is a much better location than staying in Napa. We had stayed at the Carneros Inn the week before and we definitely prefer Solage.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
LONDON
Reviewed April 2, 2009

From the minute we arrived we felt relaxed. Sadly we only stayed for two nights but the room (each is a separate single storey bungalow), food, surrounding and facilities where perfect. Bikes are supplied and once you have mastered no brakes/pedding backwards to stop they are great fun. The Sterling vineyard is in walking/cycling distance and worth a visit. The main town was a little disappointing and, if you stay for a few days, you might find your choice of eating limited - but if you just want to get away from it all - this place is perfect.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed March 30, 2009

We loved this hotel. My husband and I went to Calistoga for Valentines weekend this year and enjoyed every minute. Solage has great bungalow type rooms that makes it feel like it's your own little house. We had huge windows looking out onto a beautiful garden area. The room decoration is very modern and minimalist but it's exactly what we like. The spa and mud treatments were awesome and the mineral pool was wonderful. We even took advantage of some yoga classes. To top it all off it rained the whole weekend but we didn't really mind! It was a blast and we were lucky enough to get some rainbow views after the rain cleared. We will definitely return and have already recommended it to friends.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Auberge du Soleil
#6 of 6 in Yountville
Vintage Inn
Vintage Inn
#4 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Solage, an Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!