“Spa hotel in Napa - Expensive but relaxing”

Solage, an Auberge Resort
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed April 17, 2009

Pros: It's very sunny up in Calistoga, so when you go up in Sept, Oct, November (yes, even november, you can hang out by the pool). The pool is the best part of the hotel. It's spacious, generally quiet (except on Saturdays), really great if you are a lap swimmer. Try ordering the sliders and french fries as a snack in the afternoon. They are delicious. The gym is also excellent, spacious, has all the machines you need.

Cons: Expensive. The rooms go for over $550/night and these are the basic rooms without bathtubs. The showers are also very questionable. There isn't enough water pressure. Insects, yes, they are a problem. One night I woke up to an itch and turned on the light finding a very large insect on the bed. I think they come in from the front door which isn't sealed completely.

Overall: I really like this place, it is very relaxing. The food is good. Service is sometimes inconsistent especially in the restaurant. I've been there a couple times when it was pretty empty and I would have to stand waiting to be seated for over 5 mins because the manager is chatting with someone or just can't figure out which of the empty tables to seat us in.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Solage, an Auberge Resort

Reviewed April 11, 2009

We had the most wonderful time at Solage! We arrived super late one night after hitting traffic coming out of SF. We were saying silent prayers the whole way up hoping they were still serving dinner as we were starved! We got there around 9PM, and greeted by a wonderful receptionist who alerted the kitchen we were coming! We had the most spectacular meal at their bistro, the Solbar...truly the best of our trip (separate review).

The room was super comfortable and we had a heavenly night’s sleep. The fireplace warmed us up wonderfully. My husband was delighted with the fact that you could make your own strength coffee (they provide the coffee grounds versus prepackaged amounts). I loved the Sumbody amenities and ended up buying them at the Spa to give my best friend for her birthday. I wished we had stayed longer to use the bicycles, but what a lovely touch!

We did stay for breakfast the next morning which we have to say was the absolute highlight of the entire trip (another separate review). All I will say is try the made to order cinnamon sugar donuts - oh my goodness!

This is a gem of a hotel and we will definitely be coming back with friends to visit the wineries surrounding the area. This is a much better location than staying in Napa. We had stayed at the Carneros Inn the week before and we definitely prefer Solage.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2009

From the minute we arrived we felt relaxed. Sadly we only stayed for two nights but the room (each is a separate single storey bungalow), food, surrounding and facilities where perfect. Bikes are supplied and once you have mastered no brakes/pedding backwards to stop they are great fun. The Sterling vineyard is in walking/cycling distance and worth a visit. The main town was a little disappointing and, if you stay for a few days, you might find your choice of eating limited - but if you just want to get away from it all - this place is perfect.

Reviewed March 30, 2009

We loved this hotel. My husband and I went to Calistoga for Valentines weekend this year and enjoyed every minute. Solage has great bungalow type rooms that makes it feel like it's your own little house. We had huge windows looking out onto a beautiful garden area. The room decoration is very modern and minimalist but it's exactly what we like. The spa and mud treatments were awesome and the mineral pool was wonderful. We even took advantage of some yoga classes. To top it all off it rained the whole weekend but we didn't really mind! It was a blast and we were lucky enough to get some rainbow views after the rain cleared. We will definitely return and have already recommended it to friends.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2009

Me and my wife had a wonderful two night stay at Solage. The rooms are very nice and everything seemed great. I just got done wasting my time trying to figure out why I was overcharged 400$. For some reason hotels.com charged me and Solage charged me for my room, so I was charged twice. Called hotels.com and they told me it was a mistake on Solage's end, and hotels.com took care of the details of the dispute. Now I have to wait another two weeks before I get the 400$ back. My biggest problem with this is what if I had not checked into this matter? Would they have called me 2 months from now and said we were going over our records and we found a mistake, very doubtful. This incident has left a bad taste in my mouth, if I go back to the Napa area I will look to stay at another hotel, the way in which they handled this matter was very unprofessional. Make sure you check your bill over a couple times when staying here.

1  Thank GregRI
Reviewed March 27, 2009

This is the ONLY place we've ever gone back to, from Big Sur up to Napa. No doubt the rates are good, pricey, but not crazy like a few other places. But what stands out is it's minimalism and it's spa services. It doesn't have the fire logs for your fireplace, the wood or faux wood paneling, or extra froofy take home bath products.

What it does have is a pretty robust workout room that opens into courtyard, a floor to ceiling dance mirrored room (for yoga, pilates etc) that also faces the courtyard, and just OK bath products. We also thought of all the places we've visited, Solage has some of the better masseuses. Allison got rid of the knot in my shoulder and the Thai woman spent serious time on the BF's twisted calf muscle, like as requested. Totally on point with our requests, unlike other spas where they pretty much give you a light rub down no matter what you say. Their eucalyptus steam rooms (the BOMB) are serious business, as are the segregated clothing optional OUTDOOR hot baths. Whoo hoo! There's a heated co-ed pool, if you still need together time outside. But yeah, kudos to Allison!

So we went early in the day up the much more pleasant Silverado Trail (skip 29), worked out, steamed, got superior massages, steamed some more, and super cleaned before checking in and parking our butts on the individual cottage patio in the super soft robes. They're like little puppies hugging you, really. The restaurant is quite messed up at the hotel, so stay away from it. We dined in St Helena and then passed out while waiting for "Marley and Me" to resolve itself. Great relaxing time away. Take the bikes out to downtown Calistoga but watch out for the drunks on the road. Go for the workout and the massage, but remember, it's more minimal than most.

1  Thank urbanlm
Reviewed March 12, 2009

We stayed here in June 2008. Its a nice property, but does not warrant the prices. It seemed like they were going for the 4 seasons type price; but the service and accommodations do not stack up. The hotel wasnt bad by any means, and neither were the staff. However, it just lacked that 4+ star touch.

The property is very nicely landscaped, and the bungalow approach is nice and allows for privacy.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Erin B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Auberge du Soleil
#6 of 6 in Yountville
Vintage House
Vintage House
#5 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Solage, an Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!