“Even better than we thought.”

Solage, an Auberge Resort
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Calistoga
“Even better than we thought.”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

It just doesn't get any better. If you are looking for the best this is it. Absolutely everything exceeded or expectations. I know there are several good options in the valley but I can't imagine any are better than Solage. Get ready to be pampered and surprised.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Ethan J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Reviewed February 9, 2014

This hotel is beyond amazing! I was so impressed with everything. .The staff, the food, and the spa was awesome! I have never experienced such amazing customer service in my life! The staff goes above and beyond, they are so kind and professional! The staff made my stay soooo much better! I will recommend this to everyone and I will definitely return. The food was fantastic! I can't say not 1 negative thing about this hotel. It was a blast!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

2 Thank Diana D
Reviewed February 9, 2014

It's hard to beat a weekend in Napa, but even more so with a stay at Solage Resort and Spa. The Howard Backen designed resort provides understated luxurious accommodations with a fabulous spa, pool and wellness facilities and an amazing chef. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

1 Thank Patton & Kather... J
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I have never written a negative review for a company in my life. As the CEO of a technology company I truly appreciate the seemingly endless challenges of running a business and know from first hand experience that when managing a large staff there is always a chance that things may fall through the cracks from time to time.

However, I reached my breaking point with Solage. I have never had a more negative experience with a "luxury" hotel in over two decades of travel across the world, which is why I am taking the time on a Saturday night to vociferously warn my fellow oneophiles to absolutely stay away from this hotel under all circumstances.

Let's start with the check in. We had called the front desk to let them know we'd be a bit late as we were stuck in traffic. We got in around 8pm and the front desk assured us that the restaurant would be open until 10pm. We checked into our room, which was located at the furtherest end of their property, only to find that it was infested with bugs. We immediately went back to the front desk and told them what we saw. They were unsympathetic and incredulously told us that they'd have to send someone to check it out before they'd move us to a different room! I was stunned. No apology, no urgency to get us in a different room, no offer to get us a drink while we waited, it seemed as if were inconveniencing them! Finally, after about 20 minutes, their attendant confirmed the infestation and they gave us another room. We put our bags down and went to the restaurant at 9pm only to find that they had just closed the doors for the evening! We knocked until a manager came and they informed us that the front desk should have told us that they don't close at 10pm, but they close whenever guests stop coming, and they decided to close at 8:55pm. My girlfriend and I were not happy. I asked if they could prepare something quick, sandwiches etc, and they said they could not because the cooks had left. Then they offered to give us the nut mix that they serve at the bar!!
My girlfriend and I gave up and returned to our room for the night, hoping that this would be the end of the horror story, but we were wrong.

The following day, I had booked massages for my girlfriend and I at the Spa. We arrived early, but were made to wait 20 minutes until they took us back. Not a big deal. After our massage, we were laying on the sun chairs in the adult pool, located at the sauna. It was about 5:30 pm and there was only one other couple in the pool. A waiter approached us and we both ordered cocktails. After about 15 minutes or so, we noticed that they other couple had left the pool, and that our drinks still hadn't arrived, so we waited for a few minutes and then a manager approached us. She told us that she cancelled our drink orders and requested that we leave so that they could close the adult pool early since there weren't any other patrons at the pool. I was absolutely livid. I reminded her that we were on vacation, spending $899/night to stay in their rooms, and I immediately requested that she bring her manager. She informed me that she was the manager of the Spa and I demanded that I speak with the general manager on site. My girlfriend and I, in our bathing suits, walked to the corporate office and waited outside to speak with manager. He was a young man and we knew he had been briefed about the situation by the spa manager. As he came out and I began telling him about the exchange with the spa manager. He immediately cut me off in the middle of my explanation and said that the spa manager does have a right to close early if they don't have any guests and that he was sorry that my drink order got cancelled without my knowledge and he offered to get us two complimentary drinks. I nearly lost it! I have never, in my two decades of travel, been treated so poorly by hotel staff. I told him that I would never return to his hotel, that I'd make sure I let everyone of my friends know not to go, and I told him that I'd let everyone on TripAdvisor know too.

I have been to Napa many, many times. It's a beautiful, enchanting place filled with dozens and dozens of high quality, customer centric hotels that will go out of their way to make sure you have a memorable experience. Solage is the absolute worst that Napa has to offer. Not only is the management terrible, but it is in the middle of nowhere with no scenic views (in fact, next to a big apartment complex that kills the whole "Napa" vibe), and most of the wineries are half an hour south.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel at all costs.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
44 Thank Samuel L
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Waited almost a year to write this review to see if in retrospect it was not as bad as I recalled. It was and it is. We had asked for a room near the pool since the Google map arial view showed that might be the only attraction at this facility. We arrived at dinner time to be advised a room would not be available in that the hotel had called all guests to tell them they overbooked it. They had not called us or we would not be there. Dispute ensued. They finally relented to assure we would ultimately get a room. We suggested dinner and a drink at their restaurant, but were informed we could not go in-private party. No offer to simply get us a glass of wine. No offer of restaurant advice. We had dinner downtown. Returned to be given a room in the outback, very far from the pool, overlooking a weed infested courtyard. Bugs in the room. Asked if we could have the night free, refused, they asked where I wanted to go. No offer of help. Fortunately, we have been to wine country several times and I made my own reservations at the Zinfandel Inn. Hopefully the passage of time has led to an entire change of hotel management. If not, beware. The property itself has no actual beauty and is surrounded by a high density residential property. Do yourself a favor, stay elsewhere. This is the first review where I reach the conclusion that a property is" terrible".

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
15 Thank BayHeadTravelinBear
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I don't think I've ever applied the term "perfect" to a hotel, but this place comes pretty darned close to being perfect. The overall design is a contemporary take on luxury - understated, spare, and modern. The room was immaculate - not just the cleanliness but the condition of the walls, carpet, and furniture. The service was prompt - we asked for champagne glasses and bar soap on separate occasions and housekeeping promptly appeared with the requested items, which is rather remarkable given the large size of the overall property. The yoga class was held in a a beautiful fitness studio. The grounds are beautifully landscaped, with a wide variety of ornamental grasses. A return trip is definitely on the wish list.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sfaaron12345
Fairfax, California
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Firing on all cylinders. The rooms are all separate cottage-style (although modern) - so no noise from neighbors. Food is outstanding, exercise classes challenging and taught by seasoned professionals. My massage was outstanding, and I get massages frequently. Can't recommend more highly.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Bardessono
#6 of 6 in Yountville
Vintage Inn
Vintage Inn
#4 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Solage, an Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!