“Very relaxing”

Solage, an Auberge Resort
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed June 16, 2008

This resort was a wonderful place to stay for a relaxing weekend. We stayed in an Adara king studio that had a bath and pebble floored shower. Our studio and the neighbouring studio were in the same building but there were no connecting walls as there was an electrical/maintanence room in between the rooms. We heard absolutely nothing from our neighbours whilst we were there - we could easily have believe we were the only people staying at the resort it was so peaceful.

We ate dinner at SolBar one night and it was good but nothing special and quite pricey. The breakfast was delicious though - but service was slow (nearly one hour for breakfast).

The bikes are a great touch and you can pedal to downtown Calistoga in just a few minutes. We had a nice meal in the Italian restaurant there (I think it was called Bosko's)

The spa treatments were good - we went for the couples mudslide. For what it was though, it was incredibly expensive but we were expecting the high prices after reading reviews on Tripadvisor.

This place definitely attracts the upscale crowd with their designer clothes and fancy cars. We had a great time people watching! The staff are not at all snooty though, so don't worry if you are not the designer type (we're not!).

The green theme is good - solar panels on some buidlings, rooms cleaned with "green" products, drought resistant landscaping. If you are after lush landscaping then this is not the place for you. Also, it looked like they were putting up apartments at the back of our studio so not sure what the contruction noise will be like as the project progresses (we were not bothered by it but we were there over a weekend so it was quiet).

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anon1927

Reviewed June 10, 2008

This review is written as a cry for help to the management of Solage Calistoga, and in particular, the management of the Auberge Group. Please improve the service at this hotel. The hotel is a diamond in the rough and has many favorable attributes. It is in a superb location, the design is excellent, and the food is quote good; however, the service is mediocre at best and significantly detracts from the guest experience.

We are blessed to have travelled extensively and have stayed in numerous "luxury" hotels (including several Auberge Group hotels). We presume that many if not all of the guests at Solage have experienced other "luxury" hotels and know first hand the type of service that should accompany a $500/minumum per night room rate.

We ask the hotel management to explain the following: 1. Why didn't you mow the waist high weeds that fronted the patio to our room (or at least install a screen if you were unable to mow them)? 2. Why did the restaurant "run out" of black tea on a weekend? Why couldn't someone from the hotel quickly run to Cala Food in Calistoga and purchase a box of Lipton for the enjoyment of guests who wanted a cup of tea for breakfast on a Sunday morning (desperate measures for desperate times). 3. Why was our salt grinder filled with pepper in the restaurant? I could go on, but I think the above is illustrative of the issues that plague this hotel.

Yes, its the little things that keep guests coming back. We own property in Calistoga and welcome with open arms a "luxury" hotel, but reputations and return guests must be earned. Solage Calistoga continues to provide "uneven" service even 1 year after its opening. This is a shame as much of the staff provide good-excellent service, but the careless or poorly trained staff are ruining it for everyone else. I can hear Solage's management defending themselves now by complaining about the unavailability of good staff. That dog won't hunt as your competitors are not plagued by the same level of poor service. If they can do it, why can't you.

Stayed: May 2008
4  Thank zingrower
Reviewed June 7, 2008

This place has the worst customer service I've seen for a $500 per night room. For example, I slept in on Saturday morning, and arrived at the restaurant for breakfast at 11:05 am. The waiter handed me a lunch menu (which is the same as the lounge menu, the same as the dinner menu with only a handful of selections of heavy foods--isn't this a spa resort?). I let him know that I just wanted some breakfast, and they could not accommodate a simple request for scrambled eggs. I expect McDonald's to turn me away from an Egg McMuffin after 11 am, but one of the more exclusive resorts in Napa? Huh? Stay at Meadowood instead.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Napa99
Reviewed June 6, 2008

My wife and I stayed there for our 15-year honeymoon. I have been to Napa, notably Calistoga four times before and have visited a few of the other spas while there before also. Starting with the room, it is well done, a very modern feel. The view out of my particular studio was not enjoyable, a mixture of tall overgrown grass and trailer homes. The two turndown services are a nice compliment but certainly do not merit the overpriced studio rates. The spa is nice and I would recommend it, though to swim in the warm pool within the spa, one has to either have a treatment done that day or pay $25. Or you can just sneak in and swim regardless, as I did for two days. The restaurant is very nice, prices are a bit high but you get what you pay for in terms of quality and freshness. The service was mediocre, almost borderline snobbish for a $230 tab. I was charge for something in the mini-bar that my wife nor I consumed. Later, after I disputed the charge it was taken off. Overall the atmosphere is very nice and being that it is less than a year old, very clean. I certainly would not stay there again, as there are many other place of great quality in Calistoga, but the concept of semi-individual studios and a great spa certainly does make it an appealing place to say you stayed there once.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brianaf81
Reviewed May 5, 2008

We stayed here in late April '08 and this property was our least favorite spa we've visited over the last few years. The property was very stark and felt more at home in Palm Springs than in Napa. One tree at the entrance, four giant palms that framed the pool, and a few very small olive trees were the only significant vegetation. The cottages, which are smaller than a standard size hotel room, are craftsman style on the outside and ultra modern inside, making for an odd mix of architecture. Cold unheated cement floors wake you up quickly on a cold Napa morning, and the three-quarter high wall separating the bedroom from the bathroom doesn't work well for couples who wake at different times or like their privacy. Our unit offered no privacy from other units, although others had fenced in patios. Our view was the back of another cottage and we had one of the nicer units. The brochures look lovely, but are not representative of what you'll find here. Compared to other resorts and spas we've enjoyed, this one fell short and didn't meet our expectations. The spa is excellent, but we would recommend staying elsewhere and simply paying the small day use fee to enjoy the Solage facilities.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Spatraveler1018
Reviewed May 5, 2008

"We just stayed at the Solage and found the experience good and bad...

Design of the resort is great - modern, hip, 'green' and natural. Inside the rooms or 'studios' as they call them, the space and decor is modern and the bathroom and showers are great. Attracts a hip, upscale crowd as we saw a nice porsche in the valet, but it later displaced by a new ferrari.

Service is hit or miss - some employees are great, others seem to be brought in from the high school with no training. We waited 45 minutes for a sandwich at the pool, when there were only 8 other people there... We got a nice message saying the maid service was unable to clean because we had our 'do not disturb' sign and to call to have our room cleaned. When may wife called they gave her attitude and almost refused to have it cleaned!

Design: 5 stars
Service -2 stars to get to 3 stars overall"

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 1, 2008

Stayed 2 nights at Solage while wine tasting in Napa. I booked a studio several weeks in advance directly with the property, and found a cheaper rate on their website a week before my arrival, so called up and they adjusted the rate without a fuss.

The property is very unique. It consists of a bunch of single level "apartments" set in a cul-de-sac style complex. My unit was joined with one other, but otherwise the units are separated (didn't hear any noise from my neighbors). The patio area has 2 seats, but no privacy so you end up looking at other patio areas (some units did have a fence for privacy). Some grass would be a welcome addition, but I didn't mind all the gravel and brown sand.

As others have noted, inside the floors are concrete with the exception of a small area rug beneath the bed, so I'd encourage guests to bring flip flops for use in the apartment (they do provide a complimentary pair of slippers). The pebble shower was fantastic, and the sink/bathroom areas were simple and clean. Bed was comfy, breakfast at their restaurant was good, and the staff was friendly. Had a couples mud bath at their spa, which basically involved spreading mud on each other and baking in a room for 20 minutes, followed by a soak in a mineral bath and 20 minutes in a vibrating chair with headphones and relaxing music. Mud baking was just ok, but I enjoyed the soak and the chair.

When I return, I'll opt for a bigger unit next time, mostly because of the fact the bed sits several feet from both the main door and the sliding glass door. I believe larger units have a wall separating the bed from the living area, and as mentioned above, I think some have a fence for privacy on the patio. All in all, a good stay and launching spot for some wine tasting.

• Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank soljc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Auberge du Soleil
Villagio Inn and Spa
Villagio Inn and Spa
#5 of 6 in Yountville
Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort

Been to Solage, an Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!