“Best Spa Experience Ever”

Solage, an Auberge Resort
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Anchorage, Alaska
“Best Spa Experience Ever”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have been to several spas. This was the best experience ever. The spa is top notch top to bottom. We chose a couples massage, followed by a Mud Slide. Can't tell you how wonderful it was. They staff is professional and very informative. My husband is a shy spa guy and he felt so comfortable and relaxed because the staff gave wonderful complete explanations of everything that was going to happen, especially during the Mud Slide. It is the BEST! Essential oil scented (pick you scent) mud and the most wonderful experience in a room that is purpose-built for the experience. The steam rooms scented with eucalyptus were amazing! The organic vodka and fresh fruit cocktail during the mineral bath soak was incredible. Will always include this in our itinerary. Lunch after our spa experience was incredible. Solbar was definitely in our top dining experiences for lunch and dinner.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from our second trip to Solage. This time we splurged on a Capella suite. The interior is well depicted in the hotel's photo gallery, two little rooms with a divider. The steam shower was great, the bath tub is huge. The patio is about three times the size of the smaller studios' patios, and is completely enclosed for privacy. The outdoor hot tub was great for star gazing after dinner, and a real luxury first thing in the morning with a cup of coffee. Pricey but super decadent! Overall Solage is our favorite place to stay in wine country, and we've stayed in a lot of places over the years!

Stayed May 2013
2 Thank West2EastandBack
Mountain View, CA
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Beautiful small property with lots of great touches. Our room (Atlas Queen Studio) was very spacious and well appointed. Large sitting areas both inside and outside. Freshly ground coffee and coffee makers provided in-room. Beautiful large bathroom with both a shower and tub.

Food at Solbar was very good. We had their signature "Lucky Pig" which was innovative and tasty, more food than the two of us could handle though! The outdoor seating area at the restaurant is really beautiful and memorable. Our room service breakfast was delivered promptly and was delicious -- especially the lemon ricotta pancakes.

Loved the pool area, it was nice that on a very sunny day there were plenty of places for us to sunbathe, they were thoughtful about the size of the pool relative to the number of guests. There are two other pools as well (one specifically for families and one related to the spa).

We didn't have time for a spa treatment, but looked through the facilities. We will definitely visit again for that experience.

Green Features: Really appreciate that they had solar, and thoughtful landscaping that (for the most part) wasn't water hungry. In room amenities (glass bottles of local spring water) were also nice, we appreciated the lack of plastic.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Solage is a beautiful property, and the staff was very friendly, helpful, and professional. I was there for a business meeting, and stayed one night. I am very fortunate to work for a company that seeks out unique venues like this. My studio room "cottage" was very nice, with a chic modern bathroom. The one thing that was problematic which did not allow me to relax was that I discovered black beetle like bugs running along the baseboard of the room and a few strays on the carpet and a couple in the bathroom. This was about 1:30 am so I figured I'd stick it out since I would be checking out in the morning. To top it off, I was half awake at 7:00am when I heard something scamper by above my head. When I jumped out of bed, I saw that a large brown spider had run across the top of my pillow! I know it's in the countryside, but I wasn't planning on camping. If this was fixed, I'd definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank testsqa
Richard H, General Manager at Solage, an Auberge Resort, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Despite our best efforts, wood beetles and spiders occasionally make their way into our studios due to our rural location. I have discussed your experience with our Director of Facilities and we have increased our pest control measures to ensure you and future guests do not face similar challenges. I sincerely hope we will have an opportunity to host you again at Solage when your travels bring you back to Napa Valley.

Warm Regards,
Richard Hill
Berkeley, California
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I did not stay at Solange, but friends and I had breakfast and a treatment there. I was underwhelmed by the Brannan breakfast ($16, $9 for a glass of pineapple juice), rubbery scrambled eggs, the most bland inhouse-made sausage I've ever (partially) eaten, and equally bland, slightly oily, deep fried hash browns in the shape of a cube of butter! To season your meal you spooned the salt crystals; Nice presentation, but it was difficult to distribute the crystals onto the food, besides which the hash browns should have been seasoned inside. Definitely not Michelin worthy.

The spa was another story, most definitely worth it (even with the $25 non-guest fee)! We booked in late morning and came back in the afternoon. Very nice locker rooms with all the amenities. I had the scrub/massage treatment; my masseuse (Jesse) was fantastic, very professional and attentive. I loved showering the excess scrub off in my own private outdoor shower!! We spent the rest of the afternoon at the mineral pool and had late lunch poolside. Yes food service was slow and oddly we had two charges from different parts of the resort (one charge from the restaurant for the food and another from the spa for the drinks--get your act together guys!); yes, those fish tacos are delicious! The poolside attendants were excellent. I would defiitely come back here again for the spa.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank rmanchego
California
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed 3 days at the Solage Calistoga and what a wonderful experience. Well appointed private "cottages" with a great bed, private patio, and bicycles for your use at your front door. And they even provide loaner Mercedes Benz for those looking to cruise the winery's in style. The pool was quiet, however the pool service was very slow and understaffed. One of the highlights and best features of this resort however is Solbar, the Michelin rated restaurant on premises! I have never had such incredible food! The fish tacos are worth the drive alone, regardless of where you live. This is a beautiful property in a quaint little village with beautiful scenery all around you. What else does one need?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Castro Valley, California
Reviewed May 6, 2013

After hearing rave reviews about this place from family and friends, I decided to book a 2 night getaway with my family to see what all the fuss was about. There truly is nothing bad to say about this resort. The rooms, service, food, pools, and spa were lovely and relaxation was easily had. You are bound to get a good night's sleep since all rooms are essentially single units. I recommend the Rise and Dine package. It grants you access to the spa area and includes in-room service.

I rated this hotel excellent because it is. However I don't think I will be coming back. I guess I came into the experience with too high expectations and was hoping that at some point during my stay my breath would be taken away, especially for the price I paid. It wasn't. I have been trying to figure out why and the best I can come up with is that for me, relaxation is not too hard to find, and I probably could find it elsewhere for less. Perhaps I don't require high-end luxury. I was also thinking that I probably would have been more impressed if there were glorious, unobstructed views from the rooms-- there are not.

Room Tip: For some people and depending where your room is located, using the cruisers may make the most sense...