“Exquisite View - Great dinning”

Solage, an Auberge Resort
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I spent 3 nights there last summer.

Calistoga in simply breathtaking. The hotel property is superb. The available bikes is an original idea that allows you get to town easily rather than taking your car.

The pool is enormous. At sunset around the pool area, the view is worth a million dollars. Restaurant excellent also.

Only downside, it's not cheap. But definitely worth it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 3, 2013

First, did not stay here. Went for couples massage with my honey as a special treat. We booked the romantic something something that includes bath and couples massage. Bath was fun but not what I expected, i.e. the jacuzzi tubs in both places we stayed in Sonoma and Napa were bigger and better. I don't know what I expected, but a regular bath with a bath bomb didn't match my expectations of "mineral bath." My massage therapist was excellent. Very deep tissue, amazing, relaxing after she figured out I am hard of hearing and whispering things in my ear would not work.

The thing that bothered me was the $25 resort fee we payed for being non guests. Well, not that so much as the TWO $25 resort fees as there were two of us. Hmm. We knew about the resort fee as it was in the confirmation materials we were sent. I just didn't know it would be TWO fees. This was not fully explained to us at booking. We had one treatment, one bath, one room... yes I am sure you can justify it any way you want, we used two separate locker rooms, could have used the pools and such (didn't), but come on.

As a comparison, our local luxury hotel spa does not have a "resort fee" tacked on to their services, and in fact often runs specials for non guests during slow times.

I know it is silly to worry about small amounts of money when you are dropping lots of money for a Napa vacation, but it just bothered me. The resort fee was irritating, but acceptable. The doubling of the fee really bothered me.

Thank MelvinaSt.Louis
Richard H, General Manager at Solage, an Auberge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thank you for making us a part of your romantic getaway. We greatly appreciate your feedback regarding your experience at Spa Solage. I was disappointed to learn we were unable to exceed your expectations. As you noted we do require a per person fee for day guests at the spa. However, there are often seasonal specials available that offer additional value. Visit our special offers page to see our current specials. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Warm Regards,

Richard Hill

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I love solage. We arrived early to enjoy the spa before our room would be ready... The front desk is very helpful and accommodating and makes everything so easy. I love the spa- the "back to life" was the most perfect start of my stay at solage- dry brush, mud, wrap, massage, so special and wonderful... I followed this with the steam room and cold plunge routine before I had to get ready for dinner... The room is simple luxury. The bed, pillows, sheets-all wonderful. The bath products-delightful! I love the restaurant (the food is such an experience- what a delight). I wish I could afford to do this monthly. I feel rejuvenated in every way... My body, mind, and spirit! I felt like a princess.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank juliennereed
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We just returned from a trip in which we spent spent three nights at Solage Calistoga. It was our second time to stay at this resort, but this time was even better than the first. The setting is lovely, the landscaping immaculate, and the customer service is better than staying at a Four Seasons Hotel. We enjoyed the property with the amenities like the spa (with the outdoor hot tubs and swimming pools) fitness room, yoga studio and complimentary bikes. It is quiet and peaceful. The workers ride bikes to keep down on the noise and pollution; the housekeepers are fastidious and the linens and towels are plush and beautiful; the bathrobes are luxurious and soft. Everything here is done right and everyone who works here seems happy and content just to be working in such a wonderful environment. The restaurant is lovely and the food is so good that there is no need to venture out around Napa where you have to deal with traffic and crowds. The chef serves creative, locally- inspired dishes and the wine list is abundant. We booked our stay through an online website called Luxury Link, which we have used often with success.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely.
1  Thank Janet R
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I like it quiet. Really quiet. I never pack for a trip without including ear plugs. People talking in the hallways, herds of elephants in the room upstairs, doors slamming, the TV next door, the whoosh-ding of the elevator. They wake me up or keep me awake. I usually go home from a vacation more tired than I was when I got there.

So I may never go anywhere but Solage ever again. Because your room is it's own freestanding unit. There are no elephants upstairs. There are no hallways. There is no elevator. Blissful quiet.

We had an Adara king which was clean and fresh and new-looking. There's a pretty big flat screen TV, a gas fireplace, a little covered patio (a bit too frosty to use it this trip).

The free wifi worked great, which is a rare and wonderful thing.

We had two breakfasts and one dinner in SolBar, the restaurant. The dinner was very good. The breakfasts were outstanding.

Check-in and check-out were a breeze.

We were not able to fit in any pool time or spa time this trip, but look forward to returning so we can try both.

Room Tip: We had a room at a far end of the property. For a quiet-loving nut like me, this was a good thing. B...
2  Thank MrsCoffeeCake
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband took me here for my birthday, weekend of January 4th. Weather can be mixed in this part of Ca, which it was, a startling sunny day followed by cloudy and rain. Both were perfect at Solage and the surrounding area. The location is ideal, right on the Silverado trail with gorgeous mountains around you and very near St Helena, Napa, Yountville, Healdsburg. A quick walk into the town of Calisotoga. Hotel is actually a series of individual cottages, quaint on the outside and uber Zen modern on the inside with soothing color scheme and great use of space. There are 2 single speed bicycles parked by the front door for use, hiking and biking is a stone's throw away. It felt more adult to us, saw only a couple of babies in the restaurant. Service is seamless, quiet sophistication prevails. We used the large pool and spa, the mineral pool, very nice. Toured the work-out room and and spa but have been there and done that so we opted for long hikes and wine tasting. The restaurant is amazing, we've eaten here many times. Food is fresh, locally sourced and service staff is very professional. I had a tricky vegan/gluten free requirement and they met the challenge with enthusiasm. The grounds are flat, but made interesting with planted walkways and sculpture tucked in. Attention to detail is careful which makes the overall feel not a cold modern experience but rather a nuanced blend. We would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: not sure there is a bad one, but ask to take a look and see if it suits you. There is no Silverado...
1  Thank soma42
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This exciting stay started with a visit to the Sonoma Valley Visitor Center. The folks were great guides and suggested lodging at Solage and even helped us make a reservation.

After a wonderful day touring wineries and arriving in pouring rain the team at Solage looked after us in style ... I still pity the poor porter who had to ride a bike in the rain guiding us to our studio. It was wonderful and filled with first-class amenities.

We enjoyed a wonderful dinner in the Solbar before relaxing in for the night. The fresh ground coffee in the room was a nice extra luxury touch we enjoyed and appreciated in the morning.

Room Tip: I am not sure if there is a bad room at this location.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Hotel Yountville
Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer
Vintage House
Vintage House
#5 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Solage, an Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!