“surprised at lack of consistency and attn to detail” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Solage, an Auberge Resort
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
San Francisco
“surprised at lack of consistency and attn to detail”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Arrived around 4pm, settled into our room and noticed the menu book had time restrictions and did not include a menu providing for the hours between lunch and dinner. I called the front desk anyway to find out about it and was told curtly that they “only” serve a Lounge Menu at that time. Okay, that’s fine but there’s no lounge menu in my book. Curtly again – it is explained to me that the Lounge Menu is not included in the book and that a bell hop would have to run one over. This little exchange was awkward. I was made to feel like a pest for wanting a little snack after a long drive in the pouring rain! What time is check in? 3pm? -- if the only menu offered from that time to dinner-time is from the lounge menu – then why not add it to the services book in the room? The front desk gal was irritable and made me feel like she was doing a big favor and if she was doing me a favor then why not be gracious about it? Why be snotty and ruin the gesture?

The Lounge Menu arrives and I call our order in and clearly state “no shitake”. The gal even reinforces the request, “no mushrooms?” – me: “yes, no mushrooms.” Food arrives with mushrooms (tucked inside of our sushi). We pick the mushrooms out but I call to report the mistake, figuring they should know about it. I’m asked if I want a new plate and let them know we do not want a new plate of food, and that I only wanted them to be aware of the error (figuring that these things are very important for world class establishments). I’m told the food will be taken off our bill. Fine, I really don’t care. I care more about getting things right the first time. At this time, I note that we don’t have the key to our mini-bar and am told someone will come by with the key. The key never (ever) arrives. However, an unwelcome interruption to our room arrives (-- a new plate of sushi, sans mushrooms). I send the person away and explain that we told them not to send a replacement plate. Then, a few minutes later, someone from the restaurant (the Chef, I think) calls to apologize. Oh, geez … this is getting exhausting! The trip was supposed to be peaceful.

Decide to take a bath. Lovely bathroom (Adara suite .. lovely.) Then the bath water would
not drain. I feel like a pest at this point but have to call the front desk again and they send maintenance over to fix it. He needed his tools – it was not operator error on my part. Just kind of irritating on top of the food and mini bar key issues. The maintenance guy was very good. No issues with him. Would have simply preferred not to have so many things go wrong.

Spider on the ceiling and I’m more afraid of spiders than snakes. My husband kills it by throwing a tennis ball smack dab at the spider. It’s getting comical at this point.
Dinner at Solbar. Absolutely lovely. Excellent staff and food.

Spa treatment the next day was amazing and the technician was top notch. In fact, he gave me the best massage I’ve ever had. Even with the atrocious elevator music in the background. Yikes people! Really – how hard would it be to give your less new-agey clients a few musical options to ensure it enhances the experience and doesn’t become a creepy distraction.

Room service b-fast was delicious and my husband said it was the best bacon he’d ever had. There are two “bests” in my eval. here, but honestly – it’s not enough to defray all of the little misses in terms of attention to detail and poor phone etiquette by the gal at front desk.
In sum, I would return for the spa experience with girlfriends -- followed by lunch at the restaurant. I would not return for an overnight romantic getaway with my husband.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elena C
Richard H, General Manager at Solage, an Auberge Resort, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for your recent visit to Solage and taking the time to share your feedback with us. I was pleased to learn you experienced two of your “best moments ever” while at Spa Solage and dining in your studio. I was disappointed to read our guest service associate at the guest reception was not warm and welcoming. Our associates are usually quick to offer assistance and I apologize this was not your experience. I was glad to know our team was quick to address and provide a solution to your in-room dining challenge on the first night but I am sorry to hear you felt it was an intrusion. We look forward to welcoming you and your girlfriends in the hopes of exceeding your expectations so that you will return on both girlfriend getaways and romantic retreats.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed here for New Year's celebration, in an Adara Studio. (Room 83, slightly away from the main part of the hotel but quiet and seemingly more private.)

Fantastic design, modern farmhouse style. Comfortable but chic. Great service on site, though found concierge by email prior to arriving to be less responsive.

Food at Solbar is low-key but superior. Everything from a simple egg breakfast with homemade chicken sausage to tasting menu for New Year's Eve. Room is simple, not pretentious and even small.

Spa is nice. Massage was not the best, but access to same-sex hot tubs and heated saline pools with bar service is great. Drinks included smoothies made with vodka!

Not inexpensive but worth it. Would like to try it again in summertime though fear crowds may make it feel less special.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Fremont, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Great experience at Solage Calistoga.Great room which has private sauna and hot tub. Excellent service. You get almost anything you ask for. All the amenities are good and spa is great. Very relaxing experience overall. Tad expensive but is worth the experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Karthik R
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is a big statement, i've stayed in literally hundreds of 4/5 star hotels in 30+ countries and the Solage Calistoga is up there with the best of them.

While the rooms are great, the staff are knowledgeable, the food exceptional, and the spa amazing - it really is difficult to point your finger at something specific that elevates this hotel from the excellent to the exceptional - I think it just comes down to the totally relaxing feeling that washes over you when you are there.

Seriously, just book it.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms that face the car park.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JordanNYC83
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Solage. I went as part of a work event, but loved my little cabana. It was very clean but there was a light that was out in my room which never really got fixed. But there are nice touches: little small carafes of water with mint are placed in the room each night with turndown service, and a little golf cart to help you to your room.

Each cabana is provided little beach cruiser bikes for you to get around the property. The food was excellent and the spa and exercise facilities clean. You just feel like you can really de-stress here and I loved that. I will be coming back in the future. Stay here - you won't regret the experience. Truly memorable.

Room Tip: All rooms are good but you may want to select a room closer to the central area of the property if y...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Oakland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed at the Solage this past weekend. At first, I was reluctant to stay here after reading all the negative reviews. But since my girlfriend's birthday wish was to swim in an Olympic size pool, this is the only facility I can find that has nearly the size of an Olympic pool.

Upon arrival, the staff were very helpful. We were also greeted with a complimentary champagne. The food and the spa was excellent! My overall experience with Solage is nothing but a memorable experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jesse B
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

Vega King along with a great Dinner at the Solbar. Clean mondern property, every room has beach crusiers and a small patio area. Close to downtown and some of the areas great vineyards, stay in and enjoy the first rate service or explore.

Room Tip: All the suites are great, just decide it you want to be close to the action ie ;pool, restaraunt , s...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Bardessono
Napa Valley Lodge
Napa Valley Lodge
#4 of 6 in Yountville
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,221 reviews

Been to Solage, an Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!