“Just go to see the castle”

Castello di Amorosa
Napa Valley Wine Trolley and Castle Tour
Ranked #1 of 67 things to do in Calistoga
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Castello di Amorosa is one of Napa Valley's most unique wineries. At over 136,000 square feet, the authentically-built 13th-century Tuscan-style castle and winery offers a variety of tour options including Reserve wine tours, food and wine pairing tours and a cheese and wine tour. Castello di Amorosa makes a variety of award-winning wines from its location on the hillside above Calistoga. Try "Il Barone," the wine that Robert Parker rated 94 points. The Castello also produces Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer, Rose, Pinot Bianco, Sangiovese, Barbera, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Il Brigante blend, Cabernet Sauvignon, La Castellana Super Tuscan Blend, Il Raggio del Sole, Fantasia, Il Passito Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon and Late Harvest Gewurztraminer, the top dessert wine at the San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition for two consecutive years.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed January 19, 2011

The castle was the highlight, but then again, it's kind of like a Disneyland experience. The castle is new, not old, so if you've seen castles in Europe, you could just move on. Although it feels like an ego project, I will say that it is impressive considering that it's new with old relics. The wine tasting room is tailored to the Disney experience as well. Very little attention was paid to us because our pourer was trying to milk out as much as he could from the couple next to us (got them to join the wine club and was working to get them to get a case). He would ask everyone the same question - "Did you like?" but never listened to the answer. Too bad. Maybe we would've bought a bottle. Rather, maybe not. It was not particularly good wine with obscene prices. Your money would be better spent somewhere else.

1  Thank scoles

Reviewed January 11, 2011

Although we didn't have enough time to go into this winery, we sure wished we did! We had a little bit of time to kill before heading across to Sterling, so we decided to walk around the grounds of this winery. Talk about photo opps.

From a beautiful castle on the grounds which you can walk into parts of the castle for free which offers amazing views of the vineyard and the valley to sheep grazing on the grass near the grape vines, you'll definitely want to stroll around this winery.

Will post photos later!

Reviewed January 11, 2011

My friends and I recently visited "The Castle" winery. our tasting room staff member "Gordon" was exceptional. Plenty of knowledge and information about winemaking without the snobbish-ness of some of the other places we visited. On our way out we bumped into another staff member "Damian" who was very personable as we spoke about the size of the castle he asked "if we would like to see it". "Damian" showed us their barrel room and gave a few more tid-bits on their process while answering his walkie-talkie we thought he was security as it turned out he was a manager. The whole experience was second to none! Thanks castle staff! Oh! The wine was incredible as well!

Reviewed January 5, 2011

While the castle is beautiful, I would have never paid the entrance fee had I known the tasting room expereince. Upon arrival, the gentlemen, with his FAKE italian accent crammed us in a corner of the tasting counter (and there were 3 other people there at the time). It was cold, arrogant and rude. I took my glass at one point to walk and look at something in the gift shop behind me, he stouted at me that I had to return to the tasting counter or he would give my spot away...again now there were maybe 10 people in the tasting room. We now refer to him at the Wine Nazi, and if this was the last winery in California I would never return. We shard our expereince with other people we met along the way and they stated they had heard similiar stories. Word of mouth will catch up with them.

4  Thank NancyD4
Reviewed December 30, 2010

We're not huge tour people but this one is definitely worth it! This place is really cool. We did a tour and it was entertaining and quite informative. Yea, it's kind of a tourist trap, but so are many of the other wineries around here. The place is built to look like a castle and you can get some awesome pictures here. If you do come, I highly recommend the tour, since you won't have access to the underground rooms without a tour guide. And Fantasia is the best sweet wine I have ever tasted, it's not like the dessert wines at other wineries. We shipped some wine home, and will be ordering from their site in the future. If you're looking for a good tour, don't miss this one!

1  Thank OceanLove3