“Best tour here!”

Napa Valley Wine Trolley and Castle Tour
Ranked #1 of 67 things to do in Calistoga
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Castello di Amorosa is one of Napa Valley's most unique wineries. At over 136,000 square feet, the authentically-built 13th-century Tuscan-style castle and winery offers a variety of tour options including Reserve wine tours, food and wine pairing tours and a cheese and wine tour. Castello di Amorosa makes a variety of award-winning wines from its location on the hillside above Calistoga. Try "Il Barone," the wine that Robert Parker rated 94 points. The Castello also produces Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer, Rose, Pinot Bianco, Sangiovese, Barbera, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Il Brigante blend, Cabernet Sauvignon, La Castellana Super Tuscan Blend, Il Raggio del Sole, Fantasia, Il Passito Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon and Late Harvest Gewurztraminer, the top dessert wine at the San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition for two consecutive years.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Huntington Beach, California
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 231 helpful votes
“Best tour here!”
Reviewed December 30, 2010

We're not huge tour people but this one is definitely worth it! This place is really cool. We did a tour and it was entertaining and quite informative. Yea, it's kind of a tourist trap, but so are many of the other wineries around here. The place is built to look like a castle and you can get some awesome pictures here. If you do come, I highly recommend the tour, since you won't have access to the underground rooms without a tour guide. And Fantasia is the best sweet wine I have ever tasted, it's not like the dessert wines at other wineries. We shipped some wine home, and will be ordering from their site in the future. If you're looking for a good tour, don't miss this one!

1 Thank OceanLove3

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Jose, CA
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Somewhere beteween cheesy and very cool - but worth a stop”
Reviewed December 19, 2010

Went to the castle on a rainy day as it seemed like a cool thing to do. The castle is billed as 100+ rooms, but really most of them are for the winery (that is, they store wine, or hold tanks etc). But a full replica of a castle would be too cheesy. Took the regular tour (the difference between that and the "reserve" tour is the wine you get to taste at the end). Our tour guide, Greg, was FANTASTIC. Funny and knowledgable. Absolutely made the tour worth taking. This is really a winery tour with some castle elements, more than the other way around. Again, that makes it more cool than cheesy. As for the wine, I found it OK, but you get 5 tastes, so for the price it's not too bad. Check around for 2 for 1 coupons too (I found one after the tour).

Santa Ana, California
“Incredible staff, incredible service & incredible wine!”
Reviewed December 8, 2010

I just wanted to relay my gratitude to Mr. Sattui and the incredible staff at the Castello di Amorosa. My sister and I recently were up at the castle to do some last minute wine tasting while I was up visiting her in downtown San Francisco. Unbeknownst to us, getting up to the castle, let alone Napa on public transportation was a nightmare! From the beginning of the day we were stuck on ferries and multiple buses, being at the mercy of the spotty public transportation schedule. I believe I called the castle multiple times needing to change my reservations and frantically trying to figure out the best way to get to the castle. Eventually, we got stuck in downtown Calistoga and with no cabs around were able to finally get to the castle, in the rain and luckily only a few minutes late for the last scheduled tour of the day!

From the minute we walked in, we were greeted with warm welcomes that we had finally arrived (I hadn’t even mentioned who I was yet!) and a quick check in to our tour. Ramona at the front desk told us that she would get us directly into the tour and that not to worry about anything because she will find us transportation back while we were gone. Overwhelmed with gratitude and such incredible service, after the hellacious day we just had, we were whisked to the tour and were able to relax and enjoy the beauty of the castle and the amazing wine!

Just as we were perusing the gift shop, Ramona tracked us down and told us that she and her husband Gordon (who works at the castle as well) would be more than happy to give us a ride down to Napa where we could pick up the bus on our route back from there. We realized right before she found us that we had just missed our bus anyways, so this offer was incredible. We could not believe that even before meeting me and my sister, she and her husband would be as kind and courteous to do something like this. Sometimes you forget the good in people and these two, as well as the Castello di Amorosa staff, bent over backwards to make this day happen for us.

Not only did those two make sure we got down there safe and with enough time to catch our bus, they gave us their information in case for any reason we get stuck again. Working in hospitality, I recognize the gravity of what everyone did for us that day. It moves me to think of how much help was done for us that day, just out of the goodness of someone’s heart… not for money or any sort of compensation. I will be making sure everyone I know knows how incredible this winery is and what they have done for us!

The castle is definitely worth a stop if you end up in Calistoga/Napa area!

Lincoln, Nebraska
101 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Great way to see a winery while keeping the kids interested.”
Reviewed November 11, 2010

European/Tuscan castle, and it really looked like some castles I've seen in Europe. The tour was interesting, part of the tour talked about the how and why of building a 120,000 square foot castle and part of the tour talked about how they make wine. Of course, the tour included a tasting at the end. The kids (ages 10 & 12) really like the parts about the castle, including seeing the coats of armor, weapons and masks, some of which date back over 500 years. The punishment (torture) chamber was our sons favorite room. The adults liked the castle part, really liked learning about making wine and loved the tasting.

Princeton, New Jersey
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Not to be missed!”
Reviewed November 11, 2010

What a treat. Castello di Amorosa is great for the entire family. We were there with our kids ages 6 and 9 and our parents who are in their 60s. We had Keri as a guide and she was terrific. The castle itself is amazing. The amount of time, money and creativity that went into building it is amazing. All of the different rooms stories are wonderful. We were part of a tour and had our own private tasting room. Thought the wines were delicious. Keri had juice, coloring and chocolate for the kids while we were sampling.