“Fabulous!”

Castello di Amorosa
Ranked #5 of 70 things to do in Calistoga
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Castello di Amorosa is one of Napa Valley's most unique wineries. At over 136,000 square feet, the authentically-built 13th-century Tuscan-style castle and winery offers a variety of tour options including Reserve wine tours, food and wine pairing tours and a cheese and wine tour. Castello di Amorosa makes a variety of award-winning wines from its location on the hillside above Calistoga. Try "Il Barone," the wine that Robert Parker rated 94 points. The Castello also produces Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer, Rose, Pinot Bianco, Sangiovese, Barbera, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Il Brigante blend, Cabernet Sauvignon, La Castellana Super Tuscan Blend, Il Raggio del Sole, Fantasia, Il Passito Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon and Late Harvest Gewurztraminer, the top dessert wine at the San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition for two consecutive years.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed March 19, 2010

This tour and tasting was unbelievable. The drive up to The Castle was breathtaking. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable (he previously worked at The Sterling Vineyard) and a tad comicable. The architecture of the building was very interesting as you can tell Mr. Sattui was very detail-oriented (hiring architects from Austria, shipping bricks in from Italy, etc). The wine was very smooth and I liked how we could even choose to sample from the dessert wine.

We paid $26/person for a tour and tasting (since then, they have raised the fare to $31) and I thought it was money well spent. Especially since The Castle was recently seen in the series finale of ABC's "The Bachelor". This tour is particularly good for individuals who are not big wine fans as the tour of the massive Castle grounds is entertaining in itself. We toured The Castle and Hess Collection and this was everyone's favorite!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,467)
All reviews
in 150 reviews
"farm animals"
in 45 reviews

Reviewed February 15, 2010

My most favorite girl and I had just taken the tram up to the Sterling winery when she spyed "The Castle" across the valley....She was thrilled when I told her that's where we would be dining that evening at the "Sweetheart's Gala" Valentines dinner....
The host, Daryl Satuii, the venue, the food and wine pairings, the Phantom of the Opera theme and music.....all perfect.
I'm admittedly a bit of a travel snob, having been invited to private and public functions in the Castles and Churches of Spain and Italy. I can tell you, I had no more fun in the period themed private party I attended in a Palace on the Grand Canal of Venice than I had here.
Although I'm not much of a wine snob, I found the Super Tuscan palatable, more fruitty than mineraly and although young (2005 ), I don't think it will need a long time in the cellar. The Il Barone, 100% Cab was robust and am looking forward to seeing it mature over the next 5-8 years. ...although not the reputation of Caymus, Stags Leap or Far Niente, I thought it was a good enough value to pick up 4 cases for my cellar. I love finding good wines before everyone knows of them. Especially ones with fond memories as well. I will return for other functions and tastings....too much fun!

Reviewed December 23, 2009

Castello di Amorosa was by far the highlight of our trip to CA wine country. My wife and myself spent from Dec 18-Dec 21 visiting different wineries in Sonoma and Napa Valleys. We were very hesitant to pay the $30.00 per person fee to tour the castle (which did include a tasting at the end). I am so glad we did. Our tourguide Kerry was wonderful. We went thru all 4 levels of the castle. We were shown how the wine was made, where it was made, how the wine is moved thru "pipes" in the castle walls. The place was like a maze! It had its own "torture" chamber! Part of the movie, Bedtime Stories, with Adam Sandler was also filmed here. We learned more about wine during our 1 hour with Kerry than we had the rest of our trip combined. Oh yeh, the wine was very good also. The only reason we only purchased one bottle was it would be too hard to tranport much more all the way back to Missouri since we had made purchases at other wineries!

2  Thank goosehunter1975
Reviewed November 17, 2009

We had a tour of the castle and were hosted at a wine tasting by Joe. He was knowledgable and very entertaining and made the tour very worhtwhile. I would recommend the castle and the tour and tasting and ask for Joe!
P.S. The wine was good too, especially the dry Gewurztraminer which you don't find often. We brought one home to Canada!

See more reviews
Reviewed November 14, 2009

Castello di Amorosa is what the the name implies, it is a labor of love. The owner of this vineyard went to great lengths to build a castle as true to form as possible as one found in 14th century Italy. The attention to detail, stone work, chapel, iron works are all works of art and will evoke a sense of awe. The winery, though crowed, provides a nice sample of wines. The tour of the castle is worth the price of the entry (with wine tasting). The friendly marmalade cat in the tasting/gift room is a great host. If you notice him among the wares, give him a gentle pat.