“Amazing winery and wines!”

Castello di Amorosa
Ranked #5 of 70 things to do in Calistoga
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Castello di Amorosa is one of Napa Valley's most unique wineries. At over 136,000 square feet, the authentically-built 13th-century Tuscan-style castle and winery offers a variety of tour options including Reserve wine tours, food and wine pairing tours and a cheese and wine tour. Castello di Amorosa makes a variety of award-winning wines from its location on the hillside above Calistoga. Try "Il Barone," the wine that Robert Parker rated 94 points. The Castello also produces Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer, Rose, Pinot Bianco, Sangiovese, Barbera, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Il Brigante blend, Cabernet Sauvignon, La Castellana Super Tuscan Blend, Il Raggio del Sole, Fantasia, Il Passito Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon and Late Harvest Gewurztraminer, the top dessert wine at the San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition for two consecutive years.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed July 29, 2014

The castle is breathe taking and they built it to look and feel like an old, authentic Tuscan castle! Job well down! The grounds are beautiful, the staff are warm and welcoming and the wine is incredible! They do not mass produce and market their wines. You must be a wine club member to get them. To be a member you have to commit to one case a year! I highly recommend visiting this winery on your visit to wine country!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,468)
All reviews
in 150 reviews
"farm animals"
in 45 reviews

Reviewed July 27, 2014

Toured the castle today and found it most informative and loved the attention to detail. Sam was our guide and provided an interesting and comfortable tour ensuring that all of the guests on our tour were at ease. The wine tasting was good and loved the animals on the property.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

Really had fun at this place. Only did the tasting, would like to go back and tour the castle as well. Went with a group of 5 people. Our Sommelier (or salesman) was very entertaining as well as telling the stories of their wines. It was crowded with several friendly, happy wine lovers enjoying the wines and the social aspect of the place. They did a good job of accommodating the crowd.

They start out by indicating you get to sample 5 wines from their non-reserve list for the initial fee. After you indicate an interest in purchasing a few bottles that rule disappears. We received many samples including some from the reserve selections. He also starting pouring more when we indicated we would be leaving soon.

Our group bought a case between us with some discounts. I'm not an expert but did like many of their wines as much as any of the 6 vineyards our group visited that day.

Checkout at the cashier was a little slow but our order was a little weird so maybe that explains it.

Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

I thought this winery was over priced and very cheesy. Was very dissapointed when we got there. I would recommend going to other wineries in the area or smaller ones to get a true experience.

1  Thank Christielucas
See more reviews
Reviewed July 25, 2014

If the wine tasting is the most important part of your experience then this is not the place for you. If you want incredible landscape VERY unique architecture then you will enjoy this. I can't say enough about how wonderful the castle is. Every single detail was authentic and the owner should be commended for his attention to detail. It would have been worth just visiting the castle. Here is the thing, it cost $90 for my wife and me. The wine was great, but the tasting was so thrifty, miserly, awkward, and weird. For $90 you'd think you could try most of the wines and seconds on some that you were on the fence. This place gives you a sip for maybe 20% of the wines available. The guide sure to give you a sip, and no more. I was on the fence about buying a wine, but that ship had sailed because he wasn't going to pour any more. They were weird about glasses too. My wife had dirt stuck to the inside of her glass. The guide merely poured the wine from the dirty glass to a new glass. He didn't start with a new pour. That was awkward. The wines were great, it's just one of the worst tasting experiences in my experience. Is it worth $45 per person? Probably not. I think you can get a general admission and just tour the grounds. I'd consider that to be fair. For the record I did buy a case of wine anyway. It is good wine.

1  Thank Jfrinzi