“Wandered the grounds”

Napa Valley Wine Trolley and Castle Tour
Ranked #1 of 67 things to do in Calistoga
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Castello di Amorosa is one of Napa Valley's most unique wineries. At over 136,000 square feet, the authentically-built 13th-century Tuscan-style castle and winery offers a variety of tour options including Reserve wine tours, food and wine pairing tours and a cheese and wine tour. Castello di Amorosa makes a variety of award-winning wines from its location on the hillside above Calistoga. Try "Il Barone," the wine that Robert Parker rated 94 points. The Castello also produces Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer, Rose, Pinot Bianco, Sangiovese, Barbera, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Il Brigante blend, Cabernet Sauvignon, La Castellana Super Tuscan Blend, Il Raggio del Sole, Fantasia, Il Passito Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon and Late Harvest Gewurztraminer, the top dessert wine at the San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition for two consecutive years.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Visited Napa on our cross country roadtrip (9950 miles). We are light weights so could not possible drink at each vineyard we visited. Decided to just wander the grounds of Castello and admire the architecture. It was a beautiful spring day and the grounds are really both beautiful and fun. Many critters (ducks, geese, goats, etc) to look at, interesting architecture, the vines and other plantings. A place that appeals to all ages. Maybe next time we will enjoy the wine.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

Napa Valley is one of the best places you hear and see in Hollywood movies. Least expected place to visit since I don't know anybody from there. Fortunately one of my BFFs lives in Fairfield, CA, did not have an idea on where it is until I googled it. She took us to the castle, bought us tickets to the wine tour. The castle was built with love and passion by the owner. I am awed with how they make wine. I don't drink so it was really a challenge during the wine tasting. I requested for sweet wine (Fantasia) while my husband is enjoying every single drop of wine our tour guide is serving. The place is well kept and well staffed. I am amazed with the vasts grape plantation as well as the olive trees. It is a very romantic place to hold special events. I wish I can go back and celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary with sweet wine and cheese under the moonlight. My experience at Castello di Amorosa is worth every penny. For sure I will come back and buy a case of their red wine for my husband.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Beautiful castle, the best tour, seeing the dungeon, torture room, all the barrels of wines, cellars and great tasting bar. Add the chocolates on for only $4, they are delicious. Wine was good also, did the reserve for 2 and shared 12 wines!

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Not to be missed! You will simple be amazed at this breathtaking place! Our daughter recommended that we visit while we were here and we are SO happy we took her up on it. The castle is simply awe-inspiring with the views of the immense vineyards and the hills below. The castle itself makes you feel like you've gone back in time and journeyed to the Tuscan hillside. We took the guided tour ($35 @ person) and were just amazed at the artistry and architecture of this HUGE undertaking and OBVIOUS labor of love on the part of the owner, Dario Sattui. We visited the chapel, the great hall, the wine making area (including the two wine crushing machines named "Lucy and Ethel"!!), the torture room (which our guide, Carly, told us that Mr. Sattui added "just for fun"!) and, of course, the tasting room. We bought a CASE of my favorite --- that's some SERIOUSLY GOOD STUFF!! Even if you don't drink wine, come anyway --- you won't regret it, I promise. In fact, you'll KICK yourself if you are in this area and you miss it! A most memorable experience which I highly recommend.

1  Thank KatLSU
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Castello di Amorosa was our last stop on a 3 day trip to Napa. We signed up for the Food and Wine Pairing ($75/pp) and were part of a group of 12 led by Mary who only does this particular tour and tasting. The first hour was the tour which included parts of the castle that are not open to guests who pay only the $19 entrance fee. It was interesting enough and the castle and grounds are beautiful. The second hour is what we were waiting for. Mary took us to the Royal Apartments where we tasted at least 8 wines paired with a variety of foods. The food portions were small but served their purpose. We would taste each wine, take a bit of the food, and taste the wine again. Mary explained how each wine paired with the food and gave other suggestions as well. Since I have very little knowledge of food and wine pairing this was a great opportunity for me to get a better understanding of how it worked. Mary willingly poured more of each wine if you wished and answered any and all questions. At the end you were given the opportunity to purchase wine (of course) and Mary took care of it all. You filled out a check list of what you wanted and Mary met you downstairs in the gift shop with your order ready to be paid for at a dedicated register so you didn't have to wait in the long lines. While it may seem expensive, I was very glad we had signed up for this tour/tasting because I felt I really gained an understanding of wine and food pairing.

1  Thank Konadream