“Delicious Food & Wine pairing”

Castello di Amorosa
Napa Valley Wine Trolley and Castle Tour
Ranked #1 of 67 things to do in Calistoga
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Castello di Amorosa is one of Napa Valley's most unique wineries. At over 136,000 square feet, the authentically-built 13th-century Tuscan-style castle and winery offers a variety of tour options including Reserve wine tours, food and wine pairing tours and a cheese and wine tour. Castello di Amorosa makes a variety of award-winning wines from its location on the hillside above Calistoga. Try "Il Barone," the wine that Robert Parker rated 94 points. The Castello also produces Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer, Rose, Pinot Bianco, Sangiovese, Barbera, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Il Brigante blend, Cabernet Sauvignon, La Castellana Super Tuscan Blend, Il Raggio del Sole, Fantasia, Il Passito Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon and Late Harvest Gewurztraminer, the top dessert wine at the San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition for two consecutive years.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Los Angeles,CA
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Delicious Food & Wine pairing”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Castello di Amorosa was our last stop on a 3 day trip to Napa. We signed up for the Food and Wine Pairing ($75/pp) and were part of a group of 12 led by Mary who only does this particular tour and tasting. The first hour was the tour which included parts of the castle that are not open to guests who pay only the $19 entrance fee. It was interesting enough and the castle and grounds are beautiful. The second hour is what we were waiting for. Mary took us to the Royal Apartments where we tasted at least 8 wines paired with a variety of foods. The food portions were small but served their purpose. We would taste each wine, take a bit of the food, and taste the wine again. Mary explained how each wine paired with the food and gave other suggestions as well. Since I have very little knowledge of food and wine pairing this was a great opportunity for me to get a better understanding of how it worked. Mary willingly poured more of each wine if you wished and answered any and all questions. At the end you were given the opportunity to purchase wine (of course) and Mary took care of it all. You filled out a check list of what you wanted and Mary met you downstairs in the gift shop with your order ready to be paid for at a dedicated register so you didn't have to wait in the long lines. While it may seem expensive, I was very glad we had signed up for this tour/tasting because I felt I really gained an understanding of wine and food pairing.

1 Thank Konadream

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Phenomenal experience”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Our first trip to Napa Valley was incredible, and this was definitely the highlight of our winery experiences! The tour we took was fantastic. Chris D. M. our tour guide was absolutely BRILLIANT! His energy, passion, and knowledge of the castle, its history and wines etc was mind-blowing and he wow'd us all with his enthusiasm. He definitely made our trip worthwhile on the nearly 2 hour guided tour which included delicious wine tasting, plus from a barrel! The castle was nothing short of spectacular, a true marvel made by man, and it is an experience we will never forget. Thanks again to Chris for the wonderful tour and experience, you are the man! It was a little crowded due to the long weekend but we were only in line for about 5-10 minutes until we joined our 1:10pm tour, the rest was smooth sailing. Highly recommend this tour and try to get Chris as your tour guide, you will see why!

1 Thank johnt_83
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Beautiful views”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We made a trip to Sterling Vineyards the day before and saw this castle from their overlook. It had a lot of reviews so we thought we would check it out. It has gorgeous views, and just walking around the castle itself is pretty neat. We did a basic self guided tour and tasting. The wine was ok, the service was good. It was very crowded so it wasn't too much interaction during the tasting. I would go for the views but probably not so much for the wine, there are so many places to try in the area, I would recommend the Castello if you have extra time to kill.

1 Thank ostracoby
Cleveland, Ohio
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Dissappointing”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

My wife and I made the trek up to the castle and were not impressed. For a complete day of wine tasting, my wife and I always share a tasting so that we can make it through the day and enjoy what we are tasting. If that is your style too, this is not the place for you. We told the ticket sellers this is what we wanted and they said you still have to pay for two admissions, 19 per, and you only have to take one. We had no interest in a castle tour. Skip it if you want to taste wine.

1 Thank George G
Manhattan Beach, California
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Somewhat Disappointed”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

From everything I read before our trip to Napa, this was a must stop. Even people we talked to while in Napa said we had to check it out. I don't know, I just wasn't overly impressed. It costs $19/person just to get in the door and that includes their basic tasting. Ok, not horrible considering that seems to be a fair price for a wine tasting in Napa. We walked around the grounds a little bit but it was so crowded it wasn't an enjoyable experience. It seemed like this was the spot every family took their kids. I get it, it's a castle and they have live animals but keep your kids in line. There was screaming and running around everywhere we looked. The worst part was in one of the public areas where they had a video running which we thought would be interesting to watch....nope, someone puked on the ground and it was just sitting there baking in the heap, the room smelled disgusting.

So we skipped most of the castle grounds and went downstairs to do the tasting. The bar was very crowded and we had to wait to get a spot. We walked around down there which is basically a big store and even found a room just for kids! Once we nudged our way to the bar, none of the wines really impressed me. Maybe it was the environment and not the wine, I don't know.

This place has potential but I think they need to limit the number of people they let inside and try to keep some order in the place. It almost felt like Disneyland to me.

I will say the the castle and its concept are very interesting and impressive. You have to pay more to see the "dungeon" and other parts of the castle not open to the public but we did not opt for this. Honestly, we just wanted out.