“Good Tour”

Napa Valley Wine Trolley and Castle Tour
Ranked #1 of 67 things to do in Calistoga
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Castello di Amorosa is one of Napa Valley's most unique wineries. At over 136,000 square feet, the authentically-built 13th-century Tuscan-style castle and winery offers a variety of tour options including Reserve wine tours, food and wine pairing tours and a cheese and wine tour. Castello di Amorosa makes a variety of award-winning wines from its location on the hillside above Calistoga. Try "Il Barone," the wine that Robert Parker rated 94 points. The Castello also produces Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer, Rose, Pinot Bianco, Sangiovese, Barbera, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Il Brigante blend, Cabernet Sauvignon, La Castellana Super Tuscan Blend, Il Raggio del Sole, Fantasia, Il Passito Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon and Late Harvest Gewurztraminer, the top dessert wine at the San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition for two consecutive years.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My fiance and I had a great time on the tour of Castello di Amorosa. The tour was informative but also fun and relaxed. Tasting was also great!

There are newer reviews for Castello di Amorosa

Reviewed March 13, 2014

The wine is not very good.
I've been here twice. The tour is awesome.
But if you're just here for a tasting, it's very crowded and you'll feel stressed out.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

This place is a great little secret. My girlfriend and I were in San Fran for a long weekend. We didn't have any strong plans to go up to wine country until I saw a brochure for the castle. We headed up on a Saturday, hitting Muir Woods on the way, so traffic was rough and the castle itself was packed. Despite the crowds, Castello di Amorosa really hits you with the "wow" factor. Its shocking that you don't see anything about it in the media and travel outlets considering the US has so few, if any, true castles. And while this castle doesn't date back to medieval times, or even the Clinton administration, it is a true castle, not the theme park type plaster blow-over-in-the-wind kind of castle. It is a real stone and mortar fortification complete with a moat, a keep, battlements, and turrets. When buying tickets, you have the option of buying a general admission ticket or a tour and tasting. We got the general admission as we were short on time. We first walked up onto the towers to take in the view of the surrounding mountains and vineyards. We were there mid-autumn so we were surrounded by a sea of golden grape leaves. We made our way to the great hall (I believe) which houses an enormous dining table, brilliantly ornate painted walls from floor to ceiling, and massive chandeliers. From there we headed through the beautiful courtyard and down into the wine cellar. One interesting thing is that the castles wines are not sold outside the castle, which is a shame as they seem to be fantastic wines (it should be noted that I'm not a connoisseur). On the way out we passed by the front gated area that holds some goats, chickens, and an emu. A great place evocative of ancient times in the middle of wine country. Would be an unforgettable venue for a wedding or just about any other event.

1  Thank CaptainBerwick
Reviewed March 11, 2014

My husband and I visited about 2 years ago (Nov. 2011) & it was one of the highlights of our trip. Nice tour, beautiful views, amazing castle, great wine. Even though my husband isn't much of a wine buff, he really enjoyed our time there & it is most definitely at the top of our list for the next time we're in town. Don't miss it!

Reviewed March 11, 2014

My boyfriend suprised me on Valentine's Day with the VIP wine pairing with Mary. She was absolutely amazing! If you are in Calistoga you have to go see her. I think she puts this on a few times a week. She leads you and about 6 or so other people on a fun/informative tour of the castle (torture chamber included!) followed by a VERY generous pouring of 7-9 of their decadent wines paired with 5 or so bites (which she actually prepares herself). She has such a passion for wine & food and a sweet soul too! I think this runs about $70 bucks and its sooooo worth it. Enjoy!