“Don't bother, go to Disney World if you want a castle”

Castello di Amorosa
Napa Valley Wine Trolley and Castle Tour
Ranked #1 of 67 things to do in Calistoga
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Castello di Amorosa is one of Napa Valley's most unique wineries. At over 136,000 square feet, the authentically-built 13th-century Tuscan-style castle and winery offers a variety of tour options including Reserve wine tours, food and wine pairing tours and a cheese and wine tour. Castello di Amorosa makes a variety of award-winning wines from its location on the hillside above Calistoga. Try "Il Barone," the wine that Robert Parker rated 94 points. The Castello also produces Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer, Rose, Pinot Bianco, Sangiovese, Barbera, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Il Brigante blend, Cabernet Sauvignon, La Castellana Super Tuscan Blend, Il Raggio del Sole, Fantasia, Il Passito Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon and Late Harvest Gewurztraminer, the top dessert wine at the San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition for two consecutive years.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Chicago, Illinois
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Don't bother, go to Disney World if you want a castle”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

This place is really overrated. It was extremely busy and crowded when we went, which probably added to the overall poor experience. The castle is pretty, for sure, but it felt very artificial. There were lots of families with small children running around. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not necessarily looking to share my wine tours with toddlers. It just doesn't make much sense to me. We did not pay extra for the castle tour, which others have seemed to enjoy.

The wine was fine, but I didn't love anything I tried. The gentleman who served our tasting was not at all social. The servers at every other vineyard we went to were extremely pleasant and seemed to enjoy interacting with the visitors. The people here just didn't seem to care.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“BEAUTIFUL!!!”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Just took the castle tour and wine tasting. For $34, you get a guided tour (group) through the entire castle. Our guide (Nick), who was wonderful btw, was very knowledgeable and gave us the whole history of the castle and the area. It's a very beautiful place and if you haven't toured the castle before, it is worth it to do the tour!
At the end, you can choose 5 wines from an extensive list, that you would like to taste. Once again, Nick was very knowledgeable of the wines and helpful with any questions that we had.
I plan to take my in-laws back in July!!!

Visited January 2014
Los Angeles, California
“Great place to visit!”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I had heard about this place from a friend and was looking forward to visit. I took the tour with the wine tasting and it was all that I expected plus more. Jeff was a great tour guide; he was informative and he was really good about waiting for the elderly to catch up to the group. I was pleasantly surprised with all the animals that live at Castello di Amorosa. They seem to be well taken care of and happy, and added to the beauty of the castle.

This is definitely a great winery to visit and definitely worth the drive.

Los Angeles, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Perfect fot the King/Queen of wine”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

What a beautiful and breathtaking location! We were amazed by what stood at the end of the driveway..Wow! Perfect for anyone- young and old. Our wine tasting host (And I beat myself up for not remembering his name) is such an amazing man, full of energy, knowledge and really entertaining to the kids- really important. Huge selection of wines, marvelous views and photo ops. Perfect for a wedding proposal...just saying' :)

Oakland, California
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“My favorite place in Napa Valley”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I've been to the Castello several times now, and I'm a wine club member. Not only is it a feat of architecture (take the tour, you won't regret it!!!), but the wines actually are quite amazing! I heard someone at another winery describe the Castello as a "tourist trap," but I couldn't disagree more. We live an hour away, and I've yet to find another winery with such ambience and quality wine. When I'm there I just lose myself in the sheer awesomeness of it all. I like a homey winery, with rich colors, old-world charm, and friendly staff. You get all that and more at the Castello.

As a wine-club member, we've been able to take part in the amazing parties they throw there. The Pagan Ball was fun, and the Murder Mystery Dinner was... to die for... (Insert groans here).

I've been promising my kids they could come with us and visit the Castello also. They have a really delicious Muscat grape juice that the kids get at tastings. You definitely don't need to be a wine lover to have a great time here! The grounds have all sorts of animals, and you can easily spend the better part of 4 hours here, even with kids in tow. Just remember that under 5's can't go on the tour. The people behind us in line were disappointed to find that out when they got there.

Lastly, because of the old-world construction and uneven surfaces, wear comfortable shoes! I've seen a couple ladies in beautiful heels take not-so-beautiful dives into the stones because they wore inappropriate footwear. Finally, even if you love wine, try the grape juice! You won't be sorry!

Visited January 2014