“The Average Wine, Terrible Customer Service”

Castello di Amorosa
Ranked #5 of 70 things to do in Calistoga
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Castello di Amorosa is one of Napa Valley's most unique wineries. At over 136,000 square feet, the authentically-built 13th-century Tuscan-style castle and winery offers a variety of tour options including Reserve wine tours, food and wine pairing tours and a cheese and wine tour. Castello di Amorosa makes a variety of award-winning wines from its location on the hillside above Calistoga. Try "Il Barone," the wine that Robert Parker rated 94 points. The Castello also produces Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer, Rose, Pinot Bianco, Sangiovese, Barbera, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Il Brigante blend, Cabernet Sauvignon, La Castellana Super Tuscan Blend, Il Raggio del Sole, Fantasia, Il Passito Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon and Late Harvest Gewurztraminer, the top dessert wine at the San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition for two consecutive years.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed September 2, 2013

As a small limo company owner, I always suggested this winery to some of my clients. Not because of the wines. They're at the average. Actually some wineries at Suisun Valley are much better. But this will be another review.

I even drove some friends of mine visiting California from Brazil. Until then, everything was fine.
But in February this year I drove my brother and his family to there. In the group was my 3 years old nephew.
I did the reservation by phone, one hour before. It was a cloudy, very cold day, with some drizzles.
Our bad experience started when I went inside to get our tickets, while some part of the group (including my nephew) were leaving the car at the parking lot with the stroller. I explained this to the girl that was "helping" me with the tickets. Since the beginning she didn't have any interest to serve us. She told me that my nephew couldn't go to the tour and that someone should stay with him AND pay a fee for it. She didn't tell me that I could go directly to the small shop close to the tasting room for free. Then she gave me all the tickets and went back to the office not telling us where to wait for out tour and who would be our guide.
Then another guy holding a door, told us to go inside and wait for our guide that never showed up.
As I knew part of the place, I grabbed everyone (including my nephew) and we ran to a guide that was there with a group. I thought that he was the one. But he rudely asked us the time of our tour and then told us that he wasn't our guide and we should go to office.
I ran to the office and explained to another person (with the original girl watching me) that we didn't find our guide. THIS guy was helpful and nice. He went inside with me and showed to my group our guide (That didn't explain anything why we weren't with them since the beginning). Another helpful guy showed me the elevator to the ground floor where the shop was located. And showed gently a place where I could stay with my nephew.

After all these headaches I'll never suggest this winery again to anybody. Clients, friends or even family members

4  Thank GustavoBastos58
Write a ReviewReviews (4,770)
All reviews
in 45 reviews
"great wine"
in 149 reviews

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Had to return to Castello. The first time around in 2010, I was so impressed by its ambiance, that I made my return at the expense of missing an afternoon SF Giants game. As a non-imbiber, I head to the Napa Valley for the photo opps, not its wine....so from an aesthetic point of view, Castello di Amorosa delivers like none other in Napa!....I've also been informed that its wine is as fantastic as it photogenics.

DON'T MISS IT!

2  Thank SHanson12
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife and I just finished our first trip to Napa Valley. We have visited many castles throughout Europe and were excited to visit here. The castle tour was nice but the castle itself did seem a little fake until you realize that the castle is not a home. It is a dedicated winery. However, the castle commons areas were impressive. They host several yearly parties here, including a haunted castle tour for adults and a Pagan Ball on Halloween. The tour of the upper castle was nice. Alison was our tour guide and she was very energetic and fun. The most impressive part was the catacombs under the castle were the wine is stored. Alison weaved us through dark, narrow passages deep underground that were lined with bottled wine and barrels. She told us great stories about the winery and its owner. You have your tasting in one of the underground rooms. This was not one of those tastings where you learn how to sniff the wine and detect subtle hints of blackberry, vanilla and pepper........ This tasting was all about the TASTE of the wine. You are given a list of the sampled wines and you grade them based on your tastes. Alison gave us little tasting tips along the way. You rank each wine as you taste it. Ultimately, you are able to make notes on the wines so that you can remember the best ones in case you want to purchase. This was a great experience ! My wife and I prefer sweet, white wines but we visited Napa Valley to broaden our knowledge of reds. You must try the La Fantasia. We bought a case. Do add the chocolate option for $4 a person. Castello di Amorosa was our favorite winery of all that we visited. THANKS Alison !!

2  Thank Todd M
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We have got details about this place in a coupon from some tourist information center in San Francisco so decided to visit it during our day trip to Napa Valley, once arrived there initially I was astonished then disappointed when realized the whole castle is not at all a medieval gem but rather a new modern clone of an Italian Castle built from scratch to be perfect... so basically just a money spending exercise which you can always do if you have the budget and the time/effort to invest.

Once you know that and set the expectations to a more reasonable level, the visit was actually interesting and enjoyable ( thanks also to the usual warm Californian weather in such moment of the year ), we did the whole loop plus the wine tasting tour and in the end we brought one bottle of local red wine back home to Switzerland.

My tip: stop by if you are driving nearby but this place only does not actually deserve a whole trip from San Francisco, unless you plan other things as well on your way, like the red woods park we saw on the way, that was amazing!

2  Thank Davide P