“Simple, clean and an enjoyable stay”
Review of Calistoga Inn

Calistoga Inn
Ranked #15 of 27 Calistoga B&B and Inns
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Simple, clean and an enjoyable stay”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed here for a wedding in nearby St Helena. Room was a good size, clean and a comfy bed. The shared bathroom was very clean with good showers, hotel was quiet though which would have helped this.

There is a bar downstairs which was nice but again quiet. Only downside is that reception is not at the front door so you have little interaction with the staff which is sometimes quite nice for a tourist. In addition, the cleaners liked to camp outside our room door and chat for the morning which is not ideal really.

A side from the hotel, taxi prices are ridiculously high to get around if you don't have a rental car or would actually like to drink at the various wineries!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 12 - nice room away from bar area.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chris D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

I live 20 minutes over the hill from Calistoga in North Santa Rosa. I attended a party at the castle that provided shuttles to and from Calistoga hotels. I wanted to drink at the event and not have to worry about driving. All of the other Calistoga hotels had a two night minimum for the weekend. I did not want to pay for two nights at a place so close to where I live. The Calistoga Inn was the only hotel where I could stay for only one night. The drawback, the rooms do not have a bathroom, though they do have a sink. The bathrooms are down the hall. I was a little hesitant but I figured that I would drive home in the morning to shower so no big deal. The Inn has a perfect location with attractive public spaces and a great little bar. The room was nicely decorated, had a great bed and was very clean. We were in room #12 that overlooked a quiet tree lined street. The shared bathroom was very clean with two very private toilet closets and two large private showers. The hotel was full but I rarely saw any other guests. My friend used the shower and said it was great. In my youth I have stayed at hotels in Europe with shared baths and the Calistoga Inn was nicer than what I remembered of those places. If you just need a clean and comfortable place to hang your hat for the night at a reasonable price this place is definitely worth consideration.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sgsilva
Shasta Lake, California
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We looked all around the Calistoga area for a hotel on Labor Day Weekend - for only one night - not a thing to be had except for the Calistoga Inn. We arived on Sunday and had brunch on the patio and it was really really good. Our waiter was great and the food was great, thank you. The management let us check in an hour early which was very much appreciated. The room we had was #11, at the back of the Inn and facing Cedar Street. We knew going in that they didn't have airconditioning in the rooms and it was a warm weekend. We opened up the windows at night but the airconditioning unit for the whole hotel was outside and right downstairs from us so it ran all night long (in the hallways of the inn but not in the rooms??) so we had to shut our window. We turned on the fan but it made a ticking noise so we had to turn it off (and I'm deaf in one ear). We were left with one window open and it was just hot. On the plus side, our room was really cute and clean but the beds are REALLY firm. The walls are really thin or the maids are really noisy, not sure which. They cleaned the room next door to us and it was so noisy it woke us up which is not what you want to happen on vacation. We will definately look for somewhere else to stay next time, especially paying $160 for one night.

Room Tip: I would choose a room at the front of the hotel on the patio side.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Randi D

Travelers are raving about these Calistoga hotels

NY
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed here in mid July. It turned out that the hotel wasn't quite finished and the downstairs was still receiving finishing touches. We were the only people in the hotel, which had benefits since the bathroom is shared. We didn't see the hotel before the fire, but the new rooms are lovely in a spare kind of way. White walls and wood and very comfy beds. The showers were fantastic, in fact the whole bathroom set up was great, though I am not sure how it would be with a full hotel. Looks like it will be a fun place to stay once the restaurant and bar are open!

Room Tip: Once the rest of the hotel is open I would probably choose a room at the back as I imagine it might...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suedeani
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 25, 2013

It is a shame that prices in Napa Valley have gotten so out of control that a place like the Calistoga Inn would be considered a bargain at ~$150/night (including taxes), since I’ve stayed in much nicer places (even in New York City) for less. We stayed here two nights when we came up from SF for a wedding at a nearby winery. Originally, we had planned on staying only one night and the Calistoga Inn was the only hotel I could find within a 25 mile radius that allows single night stays on summer weekends. First, the good: the rooms are very clean and the bed is very comfortable. Do not expect to get ANYTHING more than that for your $150/night. To the Inn’s credit, they never promised anything more than that, and they were very clear about what the hotel offers before our stay. The bathrooms and showers are “European style”, meaning shared and down the hall. Perhaps the absence of toilet paper is “Eastern European style”? The women’s room ran out of toilet paper on Saturday evening and there was nobody at the front desk to replenish it. In fact, it remained out of toilet paper until we saw a maid at about 10:30 the next morning and asked her for a roll. Also, rather than having paper hand towels in the centrally-located bathrooms, they installed a loud airblower hand dryer, which guests have the pleasure of hearing throughout the Inn every time it’s used. The toilets in the men’s room are in tiny enclosed rooms, to which the door opens in, making it very hard for larger men to squeeze past the door to open or close it. There is no air conditioning and it was very hot when we stayed, so we had to have the windows open and the fan on all night. This worked well to cool down the room, but the down-side is all of the street noise got very loud early in the morning (we were staying in one of the front rooms). The brewery is still under construction, and it looks like it will be very nice when it is complete, however, my expectation is that this will only add night-time noise to the side and back-rooms as well as the front rooms. My overall impression is that they opened up too soon, since the construction downstairs is still going on. This left me with the impression that they are trying to recoup some of the costs of the construction, which only added to a general impression that they don’t really care about their guests’ comfort. Not a good impression to be left with by a hotel, whose primary concern should be their guests’ comfort. The Inn told us beforehand that breakfast would not be included because the construction is not complete, but I do not know if we got any price break for that. Regardless, even if breakfast were included at $150/night I cannot recommend the Calistoga Inn and, in hindsight, it would have certainly been worth spending an additional $50/night to stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Rooms in a different hotel are quieter and cooler.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple