“Nice wine, nice views and nice people”

Madrigal Family Winery
Ranked #24 of 68 things to do in Calistoga
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: 3Rd Generation farmers in the Napa Valley, the Madrigal Family has been crafting small lot, premium wines since the early 90's. From vine to wine, Madrigal Family takes great joy in sharing tastings, family history and personalized tours. Our wines include: Petite Sirah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Sauvignon Blanc, Gewurztraminer, Tempranillo, Zinfandel, Bordeaux Blends, Cabernet Franc, Garnacha, and Petite Verdot.
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Nice place, with comfy couches and shade. The back of the place has some amazing views of the valley and mountains. Try their Petit Syrah, you will like it. People at the tasting room were very nice.

MadrigalW, Manager at Madrigal Family Winery, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

@Vinotico1 , we are glad you really enjoyed your visit. Please come visit us again soon!

Reviewed July 28, 2014

I have been to dozens of wineries, and it is rare to be charged $25 for a tasting. Ten dollars seems to be the going rate in Napa and Sonoma Counties. Nonetheless, I agreed to the charge, liked what I sampled and decided to buy one of their most expensive wines ($75/bottle). Stunned I was...to find out the tasting charge was additive. I have not yet opened the wine I bought, but at $100, I'm hoping it is superb.

I don't think I'll be back. There are plenty of other wineries within ten miles that I like just as much.

MadrigalW, Manager at Madrigal Family Winery, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2014

Dear CaliforniaFellow,

I read your review and I wanted to first apologize for confusion about the tasting fee charge, however it is our policy to only waive tasting fees with signing up for the Wine Club. When you arrived we discussed the tasting policy, as you stated you agreed to, and thus charged the agreed upon tasting fee when you left. I apologize if there was confusion about this. There certainly are wineries around with a lower tasting fee, but our price of $25 is actually quite competitive with the surrounding wineries of a similar caliber. You were poured several single vineyard reserve wines that ranged from $40 to $100 a bottle and you chose to buy a $75 bottle that you had tasted and enjoyed. I also remember we accommodated you without an appointment and were very welcoming and hospitable to your group of 7, in which only 2 tasted and shared with the group. As always, we would love to have you return to enjoy our wines again and wish you the best.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

After a five hour trip across the country and then another five hours to get to our first ever winery experience, we were two hours late for our appointment. We walked in five minutes before they closed, expecting them to say sorry, which I would have not have expected anything less, Chris Madrigal and the staff welcomed us in with open arms and cheeses and meat platters. The hospitality that they showed us, especially Chris was overwhelming. He spent 90 minutes with us, missing the start of dinner with his family to make my family and I feel like we were experience wine makers. We had so many questions and he took the time to answer all of them. We learned so much and will never forget our first visit to California wine country. It could have gone in such a different direction and we could not have left with a better taste in our mouth, which was some pretty amazing wines, petite Syrah was amazing. Thank you again.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

After 3 full days of wine tastings in St. Helena and Napa, this winery was our overall favorite. And the only wine club we joined! Chris, the owner, showed us around the bottling area. He was so welcoming and friendly. Mark, the winemaker, described the bottling process (and more). The staff is incredibly helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable (Matt, Matt, Meagan). They will pour 9+ tastings, if you are enjoying the wine!

The views are amazing. The wine - even better! Highly recommend if you are looking for a fun boutique (and delicious) wine tasting experience. After the tasting, buy a bottle and sit out on the deck overlooking the vines! Very interesting family story too!

Reviewed May 19, 2014

We have been members here for a while. Have always had great tasting room experiences. Now they have added a deck overlooking the vineyards. Great when it isn't too hot outside. They do a great pairing - free 1x per year with our membership. You can make it lunch. Would have been nice to have some alone time during the tasting, but Matt and Hannah are great and easy to talk to. If we did not have another event to attend, we'd have shared a bottle on that deck.