“Very Relaxing”

Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 24, 2006

Just returned from a three night stay and overall I was extremely impressed. We had one glitch, which I will note below, but otherwise my experience there was superb.

Resort and Rooms:

I stayed in a deluxe lodge and I think I really lucked out in terms of location. The size of the indoor living space was a little small, but the large bathroom and outdoor living space more than made up for this. It is so beautiful there that you will want to spend most of your time outdoors anyway. The resort itself does an amazing job of making the most of its natural location and the outdoor fireplace and shower were a very nice touch. My lodge was located near the restaurant and spa which was great, because we could just walk to these places.

Pool area was another highlight of the resort. It was the perfect size. I never felt like I was at a mega resort although the weekend I was at the Ranch there happened to be a wedding and it became apparent that the pool area may have been understaffed. Otherwise the pool service was terrific and the lounge chairs were very comfortable.

Restaurant:

I only had dinner once at the restaurant and breakfast there once. The staff was very attentive, even bringing us free champagne when they heard it was my birthday. The portions at dinner are small but I found them to be quite filling. I am not a big eater and I can see where someone with a more hearty appetite might come away unsatiated. Breakfast was especially good and we also loved room service. Our deck was so nice that half the time we didn't want to go anywhere else to eat.

Spa:

I had the "Traditional" at the spa and overall I enjoyed it. The person I went with had the same and we both felt that the spa was above-average, although maybe not exceptional. I loved the indoor/outdoor treatment rooms and the view from the relaxation area, but I could see where the space is not that large and if it was fully booked it could become uncomfortable. Overall I would recommend a treatment there, just because if you are spending this much money to stay some place you might as well try the spa. It will enhance the experience.

Service:

Service was exceptional. Everyone goes out of their way to please you, except we had one glitch when we checked out. For the entire duration of our stay the men who escorted us to our lodge on the golf carts would always pull up the hill in front of our lodge and drop us at the stairs. They did this when they checked us in with our luggage and every time thereafter. On the morning of checkout they refused to pick us up on top of the hill and the individual at the front desk told me that the five other individuals that had been shuttling us back in forth the entire time were not supposed to bring the golf cart all of the way up and that they would not pick us up there. This may not be a problem for most people, but I was travelling with a senior citizen and we ended up having to carry most of our own luggage down the hill, because not only had they refused to pick us up at the top of the hill, but they seemed to forget that we were checking out even though we told them multiple times. I am not someone who expects staff to cater to her every whim, but at these prices I also would not have expected them to refuse to do something they had been doing along. I have to say I found the attitude of the individual at the desk that morning to be just not fitting with the rest of the staff at the resort, but I think that person may just have been an outlier. The morale of this story is if you are travelling with an older individual or someone who may have some type of physical disability you may want to double check the location of your lodge and both the number of hills and stairs to where they will drop you in a golf cart.

Other than that the trip was terrific and I really loved the Ranch. It is the perfect place if you want to totally get away and enjoy the vineyards or even just nature.

• Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank beachbug
There are newer reviews for Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort

A TripAdvisor Member
Simi Valley, CA
Reviewed April 10, 2006

Recently, two truly wonderful things happened. First, I married my very best friend and second, he took me to Calistoga Ranch for a portion of our honeymoon. To say that we enjoyed our stay is a massive understatement. From the minute we drove into the entrance of the resort, we knew our visit would be special and memorable. We were each greeted at the car by poised and friendly staff members, who explained that they would be escorting us to the front desk (with umbrellas, to keep us out of the rain), before returning to the car to handle the luggage. We entered the cozy reception area and requested early check-in. Again, another pleasant occurrence, as they suggested we warm ourselves by the fire and help ourselves to complimentary gourmet coffee, tea or hot chocolate while they attempted to accommodate us. Within minutes, they returned and requested help from the same staff members who greeted us in showing us to our lodge. With umbrellas, we were escorted to our enclosed golf cart (due to the rain) and driven up to our lodge. Our car had already been parked, and the luggage followed behind in another cart. On our way up, the driver gave us a quick tour of the charming property and explained that we had been given a very special suite that they nicknamed "Eagle's Nest". As we approached our suite we understood why. There it was, at the highest point, seemingly perched in the trees, with a beautiful view out across all of Calistoga Ranch. It was absolutely spectacular. As we explored the rest of the resort, we were only more impressed. The Bath House (or Spa) was the picture of relaxation, our treatments were noticeably better than those we had received at a number of other resorts, the food at the Lakehouse (and even room service) was truly delectable, there were hiking trails, tame wildlife, and everyone on the property regulary went out of their way to attend to our every wish. Our first night, we returned from dinner to find a bottle of champagne chilling and a wonderfully rich chocolate mousse dessert served on a plate that read "Congratulations" in chocolate syrup. Not a single detail was missed, and as we suspected, our entire stay at this resort was truly special. We spent a lot more time at the resort than we had anticipated, and therefore, a lot less time wine tasting -- but loved every minute of it. The pictures on the Calistoga Ranch web site do not do the place justice. There was only thing we didn't like about Calistoga Ranch ... having to leave!

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 27, 2006

Fantastic place, beautifully appointed, friendly, hard working and caring staff. The restaurant which the staff really pushed was worth the pushing food was dynamite. I took my wife there for her birthday we both can't wait to return.

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank stevieNewYork
Reviewed March 9, 2006

My husband and I went for our anniversary, it was a fantastic choice. The service was wonderful, we couldn't have been happier! It was hard to make ourselves leave the property because it was so relaxing and enjoyable. Overall it was the best hotel we've stayed in. We will def. return

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank Johnna V
Reviewed November 11, 2005

My husband and I were looking to go to Napa and relax. Well, we did just that. The service was excellent, they could not do enough. The surroundings were peaceful and private.My husband loved the outside shower. The suite was spacious,the bed very comfortable. Mellow feel in the living room. Nice touch with the complimentary minibar and wine. great stereo system.
Concierge was very helpful! It was very hot- 100-110 everyday but the staff would always cool the car down before we got in, ice cold bottled water was waiting for us in the car, nice touch. At the pool, cold towels were served as well as their iced tea-lemonade concoction. Comfortable lounge chairs!
The restaurant was located in a tranquil setting- watch out for mosquitos(time of year)...
The food was great. Try the tasting menu.
I had a facial which was one of the best I ever had. My husband enjoyed plunging in the mineral springs water hot tub.
Very laid back understated class. I highly recommend if you want pure relaxation!

• Stayed: July 2005
8  Thank oneLmichele1111
A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed October 30, 2005

This was our first visit to Napa, and our first visit to Calistoga Ranch. Both were wonderful. Trekking around the valley all day can be tiring and the Calistoga Ranch is a fantastic oasis to return to.

We had a great time. The suites are luxurious, comfortable and private. We had an Oak Creek suite which was very private. My sense is that some are considerably more private than others. The beds are super comfortable and we enjoyed three nights of blissful sleep.

The setting itself in the valley is amazing. The hills surrounding the resort give a feeling of isolation and remoteness from the outside world. The hotel has a hiking trail above the valley that is a MUST do! We were the only couple we saw using the trail in the 3 days we visited and we were so happy that we did it. Please try it, you will note be disappointed. The views are spectacular.

Service was good and the restaurant was excellent, although we found the wine list to be surprisingly light and very expensive. There are restaurants with much deeper wine lists in the area. They need to work on this point. The other problem we had, is that there is no area to relax other than your room. There is no lounge area to get a coffee or snack. You have to go to the small bar area at the restaurant. Not ideal...

All in all a superb resort. Well managed, well run and very quiet and private.

• Stayed: October 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 15, 2005

We returned last summer for our second stay. The service has greatly improved from when it first opened and this past summer, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We found that the open patio provide spaciousness (positive), but inhibited privacy (negative). I wonder why they didn't somehow build the patio in a way that provided seclusion. The outdoor shower is great and private! I would definitely come back; I think it's very comfortable and the service is great. The food at the restaurant is excellent; however, they were out of two of the bottles we requested. They took so long looking for both of them, that we finally just order a glass because the meal was half over. I guess the service could be improved at the restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2005
5  Thank scdm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Auberge du Soleil
#4 of 30 in Napa
Villagio Inn and Spa
Villagio Inn and Spa
#6 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!