“Birthday treat!”

Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We wanted somewhere special to celebrate my wife’s birthday whilst visiting California. We chose Calistoga Ranch and what a good choice we made! From the moment we drove through the gates we were looked after perfectly. Check-in was fast and friendly all helped along by a glass of crisp chardonnay. The concierge Gloria then introduced herself explaining how she could help during our stay. By now our luggage had been unloaded from our car and onto a buggy and we were transported to our Deluxe Hillside lodge by the bell boy who explained where everything was during the ride. He then showed us around our fabulous room including the outdoor shower which as the temperature was 106F very welcome.

Each evening we ate in the Lakeside restaurant, it really is a stunning setting overlooking the lake. For the first two evenings we had the four course tasting menu which was fantastic and on the final evening when we just had steak as we were ‘fine dined’ out. Service in the restaurant was excellent our only hiccup was on the last evening when we were kept waiting five minutes before the maître d’ came to seat us as he seemed to be more interested in chatting than attending to us.

We had a Sensuous Soak and Massage in the spa, this started with exclusive use of one of the pools with champagne and strawberries followed by a massage. The therapists were very good definitely the best we have had anywhere. A heavenly experience.

Each morning we walked one of the trails enjoying the spectacular views while it was still pleasantly cool then enjoyed breakfast before going to laze by the pool.

If you want to experience service, pampering, luxury and good food and make a special occasion one to remember then Calistoga Ranch is the place to go.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Tony_Eileen,

Thank you for sharing the details of your stay at Calistoga Ranch! We are so pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy so much of the resort during your stay with us, especially Gloria and our Bell Team's expertise, your outdoor shower, your amazing culinary experience and our beautiful Bathhouse Spa. I will definitely pass along your praises to the Team and we very much hope to welcome you back in the near future and for many Birthdays to come!

There are newer reviews for Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We took our first visit to Napa last week and stayed at Calistoga Ranch. What a spectacular property. Luxury cabin in the woods. The outdoor living room and shower were amazing. Nice comfy bed. Our location was quite private and the resort was peaceful and quiet during our stay.
The pool area is lovely for a nice long lunch and we also enjoyed dinner at the Lakehouse.
Service was spot on in all areas. I'm so glad we stayed at Cailstoga Ranch. I'm sure we'll return as soon as we can.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear travelgal057,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Calistoga Ranch with us! I am so thrilled you enjoyed the secluded luxury of The Ranch as well as the service of our Team. We sincerely look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I would like to second Walkern76's comments about Calistoga Ranch. Our visit last month was our third over the past few years, and we've grown to love it there. The "room", which is more like a luxury cabin, is comfortable and private and beautiful, situated among beautiful oak trees and golden hills. Every morning we would stroll the ten-minute walk up to the Lake House for breakfast, and greet the ducks and herons on the lake on the way. Other guests were out walking their dogs, who made for good company along the way. We especially liked wandering the vineyard on the grounds (Cabernet, I think), and discovering the chicken coop and the bee hive. We would soak in the spa tub morning, noon and night. I had never seen an outdoor shower before, but if I ever build a house I would now consider it a must. The town of Calistoga itself is charming--dinner at Brannan's, a visit to the Sharpsteen museum, coffee at the Calistoga Roastery or Yo El Re. The Castello di Amorosa a little bit down the road will make you think you're in Italy. The pizza at Boskos is fabulous. The Calistoga olive oil wins gold medals. Calistoga Ranch isn't cheap, but it's worth it for its unique, peaceful character. If you would like to spend some time in California's glorious Napa Valley, the town of Calistoga in general and Calistoga Ranch in particular, are an excellent place to center yourself. We love it there, and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Avellinese

Dear Avellinese,

Thank you for being such a loyal guest to Calistoga Ranch! I especially love the fact that you have experienced and visited the local spots in town that might usually be passed up when only able to visit for a few evenings! I am so glad you were able to enjoy our Sotero Cabernet Vineyard, as well as our chicken coop and our honeybees on property.

Thank you again so much for taking the time to share your experiences, and we definitely look forward to welcoming you back time and time again.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

What an amazing experience from start to finish. The service is second to none, nothing is too much trouble and the thought behind everything is incredible. The facilities are out of this world. The room is beautiful, nicely laid out. Quality bed linen, everything you can think of and the outdoor shower was a must every day! The restaurant was excellent and the gym and pool well nicely laid out with excellent service. A nice touch was the email weeks before we arrived with information on the surrounding area. Greg did a fantastic job pre-booking our dining and trips out. Overall everything I would have hoped for and much much more (borrowing their Mercedes SLK for the day as an example). We will definitely return, just a case of how soon can we make the trip back!!!

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Walkern76,

I am so thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed the facilities at Calistoga Ranch, as well as your room, outdoor shower, linens, Restaurant and Gym, but especially your compliments about our staff. We agree Gregory is absolutely wonderful and will definitely pass along your praises to him.

We cannot wait to welcome you back to The Ranch in the future!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Wonderful and peaceful. Accommodations were excellent. Outdoor patio with fireplace is romantic. Staff are friendly and helpful. A world away from the Bay Area, but not too far to drive!
Outdoor shower is the best in the WORLD! They had just opened the kiddy pool and it was excellent for families!

Room Tip: Call them all the rooms seem to be different. Not a typical hotel....more like a cabin or lodge!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Chantimack,

Thank you so much for the wonderful detail of your stay with us! I love to hear that you enjoyed your lodge so much, especially your outdoor deck and fireplace and outdoor shower. Our lodges are so wonderfully peaceful and we love that they offer these unique features unlike any other hotel. Our beautiful Family Pool has opened for the season and we are glad you were able to enjoy it as well.

Please come back to visit Calistoga Ranch again soon!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Wife and I on extended stay after a business session at the resort. They did an excellent job servicing a hospitality room and other coordination for the participants and event, and the service was first rate throughout. I think I had the best bagel and lox I've ever had in my life for breakfast.

Food was excellent, setting and location to regional wineries and towns were excellent. Staff were friendly, helpful, and professional. Hiking trails were nice, available right from the grounds into the hills, had a herd of seven deer in our path only 100 feet from the start of the trail. Great views from the trail, including benches to sit at along the way to enjoy them (North trail).

The rooms were really interesting, we loved the outdoor showers. The rooms are not connected, so a bedroom is separate from the living area, and all include an outdoor living area to bring all the rooms together. For example, the 2 bedroom included 2 separate bedroom structures, a living room structure, and a kitchen structure... all connected by the common outdoor living space. All with wooden siding, wooden decks, wooden railings, and an indoor/outdoor fireplace, some with spas. Really the way I like to camp. Very rustic setting, I would think that it used to be a campground that was renovated to be luxury units. The stars in the night sky were incredible, can see the Milky Way like I don't recall seeing in ages as you wander the clean paths between the units.

When I was there at the end of August, 2013, not sure how long this has been going on or will continue, but the resort participates in a Mercedes Benz program and has a few cars on site, simply there for the asking. Want to take one out for the day, just ask. First come, first served. That made for a nice day.

There were some downsides that I would hope they'd address:

1 - Spending a week in such a unit with only the smallest of mini-fridges was not ideal. Basically can only accommodate some drinks and its out of room, don't think of bringing any groceries or restaurant left-overs back to the room. The fridges should be larger.

2 - Some of the units like ours had a very low fence and front gate to the open areas of the 1-bedroom compound (deck, living structure, bedroom structure). This gate basically serves as the front door to your extended open unit. If you can imagine having a front door to an open "unit" that consists of a 3' high gate that someone can just reach over and unlock and let themselves in... doesn't lend to a very safe and secure feeling. They really should have all outside walls and gates be at least 6' high. This led to us locking the living area when we went to bed in the bedroom structure, locking the bedroom structure when we went in the living room structure, and feeling like outside our bedroom door could be anyone or anything while we slept.

3 - Riding bikes in the area is a very nice activity. The resort has a small fleet of bikes available for guests' use. However, I was surprised to find that these bikes are not road bikes (if you have a reasonable road bike of your own, you'll know what I mean) per se and were a good deal heavier than even my mountain bike at home. The main road near the resort and in either direction has some challenging grades that are not suited to heavy "cruisers" and I noted a lot of riders from various locations struggling on the grades around the towns any time we were out and about. If they're going to provide bicycles for guests, a really nice touch, they should be proper road bikes. The concierge was kind enough to arrange for a rental of a proper road bike delivered to the resort, but the quality wasn't only fair for the $70/day price, and I returned it earlier than I had intended due to the quality.

4 - The tech aspects, while great wifi was provided, the entertainment center was geared for iPhone4 connections throughout, including a Bose system in the bedroom, and I had nothing but problems with my iPhone5 for connectivity and charging, even thought I came prepared with an adapter. Given that Android smartphone/players are outselling iDevices like mad, that's a problematic solution from the start. Also, the TV units feature the usual limited channel selections, and while they offer some DVD's from the reception desk, they have no movie rental options through the TV that most resort/hotel's do. Basically, if you're looking for something to watch, you're out of luck.

Overall, I think the rates are quite a bit steep and we wouldn't have stayed there if not for the underlying business trip that started it, and our business discount. It was a very nice location and outfit, and really the only complaints above seem to be fairly easily remedied or ignored if you can.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Dear Tom T,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us! I am thrilled that your group had a wonderful time with us, and that you chose to extend your stay to enjoy Calistoga Ranch for a longer period. Thank you very much for your compliments on our lodges, your culinary experience and our Mercedes Benz Program. thank you as well for the feedback on areas of improvement. We are constantly seeking ways to enhance our guest experience and will definitely take each of your recommendations into account.

We hope to welcome you back to The Ranch in the future in order to create another wonderful stay for you.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We looked at several special places to stay in the wine country for our 25th wedding anniversary and narrowed our choice to the Carneros Inn, Auberge or Calistoga Ranch. We have stayed at all three and choose the Ranch for a relaxed private celebration. Years ago we had stayed here and thought the setting was perfect. We asked for a private room when making our reservation 4 months in advance. I was told we would have an Oak Creek Spa Lodge ($3000 for two nights) and it was their most private room. The concierge was great and made some terrific suggestions and reservations for us ahead of time.
We checked in and were taken to our suite by a super helpful and friendly staff member in a golf cart. When we walked in we were shocked to see our room, over the creek, faced an event center and a row of white spa tents--not a great view and certainly not private, and was below another suite that looked right into our room and onto our deck. We asked if there was a room with more privacy available, as we had requested and had before. Next we were shown a room closer to the lodge with even less privacy.
As we had pre-paid, we chose to stay (what choice did we have?). Overall, the suite was really beautiful--two rooms, including a large living room with fireplace. There were two baths (one being enormous with a fabulous outdoor shower). However we would have preferred a smaller space that was not a fishbowl. This was a lot of money to pay to be in an hot tub on the deck and have the family of four next to us watch us while eating diner on their balcony. They could also see straight into the bedroom, as could the staff who came and went constantly to the event center across the creek (even though there was no event going on). At night, one of the little white spa tents stayed lit all night--not a peaceful natural setting as we had hoped.
We did appreciate the endless amenities-champagne and cake for our anniversary, wine and snacks, tea and coffee were all thoughtful and of high quality. The Mercedes convertible we were able to drive two nights to dinner was very fun.
Our breakfast was included, the food was fine, but not outstanding. The room service staff were great.
The last bad bit was on our second morning. At 8 am I went to swim in the pool only to be greeted by jack hammering of concrete. I asked what they were doing and was told they were working on the new children's pool. Not a pleasant way to relax on vacation.
When checking out I mentioned how disappointed we were that our suite was not private as we requested and was told that now that we were repeat customers we could request to stay in a suite further up the hill, which would be more private. We regretted that we had not chosen Auberge with their great private balconies and view of the valley or Carneros Inn with their private terraces and view of the vineyards.

Room Tip: As for a room "up the hill" if you want privacy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Sparky22

Dear Sparky22,

Thank you very much for being our guest and for sharing the details of your stay with us. I am thrilled to hear that your stay was great, especially the room amenities, our Concierge and Bell Teams, the outdoor shower and our Mercedes Program. I do wish to apologize that we fell short of your expectations in regards to the location of your lodge and the finishing touches that were taken on our Family pool during your stay with us. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it is of the utmost importance to us that we provide the most amazing service and experience for our guests, and I sincerely hope to welcome you back to The Ranch to create a wonderful stay for you.

Thank you very much for being our guest.

Coni Thornburg

Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Auberge du Soleil
#4 of 30 in Napa
Villagio Inn and Spa
Villagio Inn and Spa
#6 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!