“Paradise!”

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
GreenLeadersGold level
“Paradise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Just came back from a wonderful week at Calistoga Ranch. I was concerned about the possibility of construction noise after reading previous reviews. I contacted the hotel, and was assured that all would be well. It was just as lovely as when we stayed there last year. The property is peaceful and beautiful, I couldn't wait to get up in the morning and go turn on the fireplace, read the complimentary newspapers, and order our delicious room service breakfast. Nights in the hot tub, with a glass of wine, gazing at the fireplace and the bright stars above, were sublime. Helpful, outstanding staff as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Scanjan
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
ScanJan,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We have taken considerable care to ensure that our enhancements to the top of our property is zoned out very carefully as not to effect our guests during their stay We are excited about the remarkable improvements we are making and that this is not effecting our guests in any way. The serenity of the Ranch remains blissful and continuing to provide a once in a lifetime experience is what we strive to do every day. I appreciate you taking the time to share the details of your stay and we hope to see you back again and again.
Coni Thornburg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

So, we went up to Napa for our 1st time in August looking for great wine and a chance to relax in luxury. We spent a few nights at Calistoga Ranch and then a few nights at The Carneros Inn (see my review for details on that hotel if you'd like).
We used our Amex Platinum Card and got an early-check in, an upgrade, a late check-out, and breakfast every morning included in the package. What can I say?? The property is stunning and spread out. The resort feels private and "woodsy". It's a bit out-of-the-way for 1st time visitors, but we were fine with that......especially since they have the FREE "take out a Mercedes and go where you need to go" program! We loved that (even if the darn convertible was never available when we went to the desk)!
The villa set-ups are a bit unique with the bedroom and living areas technically in 2 separate buildings (they're connected outside by your patio). I can't say I loved that, but it's very doable. The outdoor shower is HUGE and feels great on the super hot days. The patio had a great hot tub on it (but be warned, it isn't the most private space in the world. The road traveled by most guests is directly in front of your patio and hot tub. That being said, at night the road is pretty quiet and didn't bother us at all). Sipping wine, relaxing your sore muscles in the hot tub while looking at a star-filled sky was a perfect ending to every night! During the day, the patio was very HOT. A private plunge pool option or even some little sprinkles like they have at restaurants in the summer would be delightful!!

The hotel pool area is stunning. We spent a lot of time out there. For some reason, a lot of flies and bees flocked to the pool when we were in-town and I got stung by one that was floating in the pool. But, even the bee sting, couldn't taken away the beauty of the pool. My only complaint is that it is not an adults-only pool. The property is so big and I think could easily fit another "family friendly" pool. We were there to relax and there were plenty of kids who quite simply have no clue what that means (um, let's just say there lots of kids acting out the on-going Olympics in the pool). That was annoying, but not really the hotel's fault.

The service was top-notch! Staff were prompt and extremely professional (quite unlike the other property we stayed at). I really can't speak highly enough about them. We only ate breakfast at the hotel and had some snacks at the pool, so we can't really comment on the restaurant at the hotel. (Breakfast was good though!)

I highly recommend this hotel as a romantic get-away or even for a girls trip. So nice! We will be back.

Room Tip: Get a room with a hot tub on the patio! The rooms further from the registration area are more priva...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Teresa567
Teresa567,
Thank you so much for sharing all the wonderful details of your stay with us. I am only sorry you didn't get the experience of the MB convertible while you were here, it is a popular choice. I would also like to thank you for the comments about the privacy of your lodge. If you feel comfortable discussing your stay in more detail and provide us with your room number, we can check that particular lodge to see if the foliage needs to be restructured. Often times during the fall, they will thin out a bit, however ensuring the privacy of each lodge is one of our highest missions. I am thrilled that your stay exceeded your expectations and we certainly hope to see you back again soon. We are looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Coni Thornburg
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

As a San Francisco local, I've enjoyed Meadow Wood, Solage and most of the other properties in Napa. The Calistoga Ranch is, without a doubt, the best resort in Napa Valley. No question about it.

It's a place to go to get away, relax, enjoy life, etc. It's also a great place to go if you want to spend time with a loved one or even a small group of friends. It's not a big party place (e.g. you can't get really loud, which is appreciated by everyone) but you can entertain outside in the indoor/outdoor living rooms.

The beds are the most comfortable and spacious and elegantly done.

The "ranch" is pure luxury and they have thought of literally EVERY single detail you can imagine...and the staff is very well trained and willing to help out with everything.

Love the welcome glass of wine and that the valet will bring your bags and put them in your room while you enjoy your glass of wine and check out the pool, play a game of bocce, etc. before being whisked to your lodge in a golf-cart.

My biggest issue is that the expensive glass of fresh juice in the mornings comes in the smallest glass possible and they don't bother to refill it. Small detail that got missed I suppose as they work hard to make the experience feel worth the $$$$ that one spends and sometimes little things like this make one question the rest...but even with the questions, I still think it's the best place on earth!

Love this place. Wish I could live here!

4 Thank wordlyandwise
Dear Wordlyandwise,
Thank you so much for taking time to share your wise words with us! We are over the top that you had such a remarkable stay and that you were able to enjoy all that the Ranch has to offer. We want each and every stay to be a unique and special experience whether for a romantic getaway or a stay with a group of friends. I wanted to especially thank you for your feedback about the morning juice. I am going to take a look at that with my food and beverage team and share your thoughts. We hope to see you with us again very soon and if you are interested in discussing any other suggestions, I would welcome that. Just call into our Executive Office.
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed at CR in May and the experience was well beyond anything that we expected. Saying that the staff was attentive and friendly does not do them justice. I do not write many reviews and I am going to keep this one short, but I wanted to give my $.02 and let people know that if you are looking for THE place to stay in Napa, you won't be sorry you chose Calistoga Ranch.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank George V
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
George V,
I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your special anniversary celebration with us. There is no doubt that this the Ranch is the perfect retreat for romance. I have shared your comments with my staff and I know they will be filled with pride that their hard work and dedication to creating an experience did not go unnoticed. It is our wish that you will continue to come every year to celebrate your marriage with us and that each time we will create a unique adventure. Thank you for taking the time to share the details of you stay with us. It was short but very meaningful.
connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

This place is fabulous! The property, the rooms, the staff, the food! Everything! We decided to stay here when we were invited to our friend's daughter's wedding which was being held at the resort. We arrived after a day of wine tasting and were promptly welcomed into the resort with a glass of the Calistoga Ranch chardonnay, which was surprisingly good! Everyone was warm and friendly and acted like we had been there before. Even before we arrived we received help in arranging wine tastings and suggestions at what to do while in SF. We were taken to our "room" on a golf cart and were amazed at what we found. Our own little cabin in the woods! One part housed a living space (with a bottle of wine, assorted nuts, crackers and tapenade waiting for us) and the other the master bedroom. Outside of these rooms was an outdoor sitting area with a fireplace (which was 2-way with the other side being in the living room). The decor was casual but elegant. It was so nice we couldn't leave! We ordered room service and ate it outside in front of the fire! The food was fantastic, especially for room service! The bed was so comfortable and the place so quiet, even though the cabins are close to each other. The best was the outdoor shower! Incredible! The next day we played Bocce and enjoyed lunch pool side before the wedding. The wedding dinner was held on the grass lawn by the "lake". It was breathtaking. Dancing was held in the Cave! Great fun! We unfortunately had to leave the next day at 3:30 am to catch our flight. Even at that hour the staff was wonderful and even provided a snack and water for us, which we discovered waiting for us in our rental car. My dream is to return to Calistoga Ranch some day and stay for a longer time!! If you go to Napa, you HAVE to stay here!

1 Thank msbeck
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you a million times for your wonderfully descriptive review of your time here with us. We are so glad that we exceeded your expectations and that we helped make an already wonderful event even more memorable. It sounds like you took advantage of many of our amenities and luxuries while you were with us and that makes us so happy. We agree that our Chardonnay is amazing! We hope that you were able to enjoy the bottle of Sotero Cabernet that was in your room at check -in. We are so fortunate to have the experience of nurturing and harvesting from our very own vineyard. We are able to produce a truly remarkable wine that only our guests are fortunate to enjoy. We are thrilled that you will be back and we look forward to the opportunity to make even more memories for you and your family.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

It's hard to add to what has already been said. But here are some things I learned about staying here that may be helpful.

-It is several miles from "civilization" in the valley. I found that to be delightful, but if you would like to walk out your front door into a coffee shop or boutique, you may want to stay somewhere else. But if you want to sit on your deck at night and hear absolute silence while staring up at stars you haven't seen for years if you live in a big city, you might want to stay here.

-We stopped on the way to pick up some snacks. Do not do that. When we arrived, we had a fruit and cheese plate in addition to the fridge filled with gourmet yummies like granola bars, dark chocolate, olive tapenade and assorted soft drinks and water - still, sparkling and flavored.

-The two-room set-up is great and very practical. I was able to hang out in the bedroom or patio while my husband was on a conference call in the living room. Not sure the outdoor space would be ideal during rainy season, but it was great in the fall. The bed was so comfy - I meant to ask what brand the sheets are!

-Take an outdoor shower every night. The cold air, hot water and stars are magical. Only suggestion would be for them to add a second shower head! :)

-The restaurant is lovely. Open air on the lake. I didn't realize it was a 4-course menu. We booked it for our first night and I was exhausted and really didn't have the energy or appetite for a long dinner. Our waiter was very accommodating, allowing us to choose a few courses to split. If I had it to do over, I would schedule it for a night when we could have a more leisurely dinner.

It was a beautiful stay and we can't wait to return.

3 Thank TexasLady7509
Dear TexasLady7509,
Thank you for your review. We love that you filled in details that hadn't been touched on in other reviews. You explained the serenity and exclusiveness of our location and captured the experience of being here. It is true that often after our guests arrive on property they don't ever want to leave. It is just that magical. Our sheets are delicious and quite amazing, they are Frette who do sell a wonderful hotel collection. We do like your suggestion for a second shower head and I think if it became a reality no one would ever leave the outdoor shower. I have noted it for the future. We are delighted that everything desired was at your fingertips within your private lodge. That is the experience that we strive to provide. We want you to feel at home, relax into our natural but refined slice of heaven. You should give us a try in the winter when the melody of Biter Creek is flowing through the property and the smell of fresh rain permeates the Ranch, it is absolute bliss! We loved the photos that you posted and we appreciate that you shared your experience with us. We will look forward to welcoming you back to your second home.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed here for our 20th wedding anniversary and left with a smile on our faces. We are regular visitors to the wine region and this was our first experience in Calistoga. The concierge set us up with an amazing day of wine tasting with a driver and a second day of additional wineries to venture on our own. Aside from that the accommodations were top notch. We felt we were in our own private resort with the outdoor showers, hot tub and patio. Would highly recommend this property without question!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sandiegoshome
CalistogaRanch, General Manager at Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
We are so happy to hear that we were able to make your special anniversary an unforgettable experience. My staff and I have smiles on our face this morning reading your review. There is nothing that delights us more than to exceed our guest's expectations and leave a lasting impression and a desire to come back to see us again soon. We strive to ensure that our guests feel the "privacy and serenity" of our resort and we love when you leave feeling that your were our only guest! We will be thrilled to have you return for your next anniversary if not sooner.
Coni Thornburg, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Bardessono
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,893 reviews
Villagio Inn and Spa
Villagio Inn and Spa
#5 of 6 in Yountville

Been to Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!