Wine Way Inn
UpValley Inn & Hot Springs(Calistoga)(Great Value!)
$199
$179
AscendHotels
$495
Official Website
The Bergson(Calistoga)(Great Value!)
$159
Mount View Hotel & Spa(Calistoga)(Great Value!)
$199
$193
Hotels.com
EuroSpa & Inn(Calistoga)(Great Value!)
$169
$223
Hotels.com
$161
Best Western Plus Stevenson Manor(Calistoga)(Great Value!)
$239
$194
Agoda.com
$1,160
$905
Official Website
$469
All reviewscalistoga roomsconesother guestsnapa valleyhomemade yogurtbed and breakfastfrench press coffeebreakfast was amazingroad noiseeach morninggreat cookbaked goodsthe main housefire pitgreat hostsbottled waterliving room
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Fantastic large and newly refurbished room with huge bathroom
Ideally located to walk into quaint Calistoga or drive to St Helena and winery's
Great home cooked breakfast from Nick and team
Just wonderful

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
WineWayInnOwners, Owner at Wine Way Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

So glad you enjoyed your stay and the lovely new King Rooms.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We had mixed feelings about this place, and to be totally honest when we arrived we didn't quite understand how they have received so many 'excellent' ratings. The house itself is old which adds a nice charm, but I somewhat agree with the previous reviewer in that there is a bit of an old musty smell that never seems to go away. I would have preferred more modern decor, which would enhanced the character of the place. It did feel a little bit like we were staying in an old persons house.

We did think that the rooms have been crammed in a little bit, and the landing and stairs are quite narrow, so it gives the impression that you are very close to other guests all the time. The room that we were in had a small bathroom that badly needed replacing - the enamel was peeling off the bath. I appreciate that it is an old house, but a little bit of luxury like bathrobes, better towels and bathroom amenities would make it feel a bit more special. A plus point was having patio doors leading to the lovely out door decking area, a real sun trap perfect for a glass of wine or two before heading out for the evening!

The owners, Nick and Gillian are lovely, and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. We found the breakfast a little bit of an odd mix, with bread and butter pudding or a baked fruit pancake served with sausages or bacon. It would have been nice to have the option of toast/bagels in the morning as the sweet brekkie option wasn't really for us. However, it was lovely to be able to sit outside in the morning with a fresh pot of tea and one of Gillians home made muffins. My only other comment re breakfast would be that we felt the timing could be extended, as 8.30-9.30 was a little bit late for us, and it seems the rest of the guests were also gathered in the living room prior to 8.30.

It is right on the main road, but to be honest we have stayed in other B&Bs throughout Calistoga and you will always hear a bit of traffic from somewhere, so it didn't bother us. In addition, we always managed to get a good parking spot outside even when the Inn was completely full. I'm not sure if we would stay here again, as we have stayed in other B&Bs in Calistoga that are more suited to our style, but if you are passing and they have a vacancy it is comfortable and friendly. On a final note, although I appreciate they are a small business, I think their cancellation policy is a little bit strict, compared to other B&Bs in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anon71

Thanks for staying and for taking the time to give us a review. Sounds like you would have preferred our lovely new King rooms or the more luxurious rooms at the Craftsman Inn.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I chose this B&B for a weekend stay because it received good reviews on tripadvisor and because the price was on the low side for napa valley. Unfortunately, I did not think this B&B lived up to the reviews and the other visitors that I spoke with during my stay were also disappointed. When I arrived there was an envelope with my name and key outside the front door. I walked in during the hours they assigned for check in and no one was there. I found this to be a bit strange and had to carry my things up the stairs myself and find my room. That wasn't a big deal for me but if I was older and could not carry luggage up the stairs, that would be a problem. I was also disappointed that no one was there to greet me because I was going to ask for restaurant recommendations for dinner that night. The house itself is an older farmhouse and while the downstairs is nice, the bedrooms need to be updated. Mine and the others I saw all had an older carpet in them and small bathrooms with disturbingly small showers (I'm average size and 5'6" and anyone larger would have a problem in the shower). I do understand from some of the other guests that some of the rooms have been updated. I think it is important to note that I knew I reserved one of the smaller rooms and I wasn't expecting something luxurious but the room still fell below average for me. The house also has an older musty smell to it that may disappear with a remodel. The deck is a nice idea but needs more upkeep (its a bit dirty with cobwebs and things that make it look like it isn't tended to regularly). If you are a light sleeper, this may not be the place for you since you can hear the cars on the road all night. I live in a densely populated area so that part does not bother me as much.

I was looking forward to the breakfast because so many people raved about it. The breakfast was good but honestly not great like I expected. It was buffet style and not as elaborate as many other B&B breakfasts I have had. I think I would have been happy with the breakfast if the reviews did not get my hopes up for more. There was yogurt, granola, warm fruit, and a type of muffin everyday with one entree (like a casserole-- egg bake, french toast, etc-- so it is large enough to feed everyone).

Unfortunately, I did not see the owners my entire stay. I thought maybe they were on vacation but it became apparent that they were at the other B&B they own down the road. There was another gentleman there who cooked the breakfast in the morning (the owner did not cook the breakfast as others have stated) and was learning the ropes of running a B&B. He was nice but we only saw him at breakfast and he kept to himself. The other guests were friendly, which helped make up for the lack of hospitality. However, the B&B really lacked a welcoming feel, which is why most people stay in a B&B. The guests I talked to agreed that we felt like we were essentially renting a room instead of feeling like a guest in someone's home.

I've heard there is wine available but I did not try it. I also read in other reviews that they would have a cheese tray out in the evenings. This did not occur and there was no one around to ask about it. I did appreciate the free bottles of water that the B&B provided.

Overall, I have stayed in many B&B's (both in the US and internationally) and this one rates near the bottom of my experiences. I don't like to write negative reviews but I did want to share some of my feedback for other's reference.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Miss_Stina

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review and for noting that the rate you paid was very good value for the area. We offer a variety of rooms from simple traditional lodging to luxury rooms. Clearly the rates for one are not the same as the rates for the other. There are galleries of pictures for all the rooms on our website and we hope that guests make the trade off between price and amenities that is right for them.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

This BnB is right at the busiest intersection in Calistoga. When we drove up, I was dismayed. Not to worry. The room we stayed in was a small cabin - as advertised. It opens onto the back terraces which are delightful. Very pleasantly appointed. Though I slept with the window open, the noise did not bother me.

The breakfasts are superb. We enjoyed sitting at a large table with other guests. Met interesting people. The hosts are very warm and engaging.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for leaving a review.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

What a gem. We stayed in the Silverado Room, which is pictured on the site. It was HUGE and has a jacuzzi tub and very large shower. A gas fireplace was in the room that worked very well. Also had a flat screen TV in the room with many other up to date electronics. We walked around the grounds in back of the Inn and there are 3 levels of places to find to sit and relax. One sitting area has an outdoor gas fireplace. There is a large apple tree on the premises. The kitchen is very large with 2 tables - one long table that seats 8-10 people and one small people that seats 4. The kitchen is a full size kitchen complete with a 6-burner gas stove, which is used for making a full breakfast - not a continental breakfast. There is a nice parlor with a set up for relaxing with a glass of wine, port, or sherry.

Room Tip: Love the Silverado Rm, it is next to the ktichen, close to the door leading to the quiet and serene patio. The Lokoya is in the front next to the entry door.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the review. So glad you enjoyed our lovely new King room, the Silverado.

We hope to welcome you back on a future visit.