“A must visit, if only for the amazing Gourmet Morning Eating Experiences, you just can't call them breakfasts, they are much mor”
Review of The Chanric Inn

The Chanric Inn
Ranked #10 of 27 Calistoga B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left I had a sense of wanting to be there, and being welcomed. The hosts were understated, rather than being over the top, much closer to my taste! The word attentive reached new heights in my experience of the word made flesh. Joel is the front of house partner, while Jim is the supportive behind the scenes partner.

I hate the local law that denied us the right to experience their culinary skills in the evening. Apparently they can only do it if we rented the whole place!

I have to mention the two singleton negative reviews, we were in a room with sloping ceiling, I tried and failed to bump my head, so if I can't at 6 foot 5" the complaint can only be relevant for absent minded Basket Ball Players who always do bump their heads anyway!

The other 'terrible' review was not clear on why they did not like the Chanric apart from the fact that they wanted more space. This is a bijou boutique hotel in a great part of the Napa.

Happily most potential guests will see the ratio of positives to negatives.

Visitors should rely on Joel's local knowledge, he was also great at getting us into Restaurants. He even arranged us an apparently unusual complimentary wine tasting at a local winery, in addition to the complimentary wines they serve each evening at the Chanric.

They even cooked us an amazing quiche, despite a very early start on our final day.

If I did return to the Napa Valley I know where I would stay! But in truth there are so many other locations to explore around the world, so I am unlikely to ever again experience the best gourmet morning meals I have ever tasted.. Joel you remember you promised us the recipe for the pineapple, ginger and peppercorn dream of a course. We have promised ourselves that we will try and share this dish with friends and family. It will always be Joel's PGPCD to us!
The three ways they could improve this experience, are
1) Be based at the Von Strasser winery instead of the main highway
2) Serve evening meals
3) renovate the bathrooms

The first is a pipe dream, the second requires a change in the law, the third they are planning!

Finally to those considering the Chanric I can assure you that with Joel and Jim running it, it will only get better!

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Adrius42
TheChanric, Owner at The Chanric Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Adrian it has been a real great pleasure to have you home and we miss you 4 already, your kindness, your sense of humor. it is refreshing to hear that you did not find any issue with our ceilings !!! we want to accommodate our guests of all heights! Thank you for taking the time to review us, Adrian. By the way, we sent to Neil the Pineapple Secret. Will he share it with you?

Warm Regards,
Joel & Jim

There are newer reviews for The Chanric Inn

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Whatever you read about the breakfast is true. The 3 course breakfast is prefaced by room-side coffee when you wake up... And the meal is so indulgent that you'll want to go straight back to bed after you're done eating! Joel and his partner also offer complimentary wine and cheese at 5 which in itself justifies the price of the room. My only complaint? The hot tub was too hot.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Tedhuang
TheChanric, Owner at The Chanric Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

There's nothing better than enjoying a delicious breakfast, and then taking a quick after-breakfast nap! It was a delight to receive you both and to read your review, Ted. Between our meals, wine and heavenly beds, you have perfectly captured the essence of what sets us apart. Thank you! We look forward to your next visit and will set the hot tub temperature for you both!

Regards,

Reviewed October 12, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a stay at the Chanric Inn. We both agreed that of all of the inns or B & B's in which we've stayed, the Chanric beats them all hands down. Owners Joel and Jean Marc are the consummate hosts. From the moment that they greet you with champagne until the last little parting gift, these men serve as the gold standard for hospitality. Jean Marc's breakfasts were perfect, both in taste and visual presentation. Wine and afternoon snacks were a wonderful way to transitiion from the day's activities to preparing for dinner at one of the area's superb restaurants. Our room, and the rest of the Inn, were decorated in dark neutrals, with accents of color. The furnishings were a nice mix of some older pieces and more modern pieces. The patio, with its large bubbling fountain, served as a great spot for breakfast, where we could look at grapes hanging from the vines, before we headed out to the vineyards. Although Joel and Jean Marc just took possession of the Inn in June, they are already planning upgrades to the property to insure that this remarkable place maintains its well-deserved reputation for excellence. If I could only have brought back one special souvenir from my stay, it would be to bring these two amazing men home with me; my wife agreed that we'd happily eat Jean Marc's cooking all the time.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely. There are 4 rooms on the second floor which can have great views
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael S

There is truly nothing more gratifying than being deemed "the gold standard" in hospitality! Jean and I are positively thrilled that you and your wife had such a marvelous stay, and savored every bite of JM's gourmet breakfasts. Thank you very much for taking the time to review us, Michael. Please let us know if we can do anything to further enhance your next stay!

Cheers,

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I can't say enough about the Chanric Inn. Not only is the wine region an absolutely perfect spot for a vacation with its golden hills and fields of vineyards but the attention to detail by Joel and Jim at the inn compliments the relaxation one feels in this area. Can't adequately describe the breakfast - you have to be there but some outstanding things were the salmon over mashed sweet potato. I was quizzical at first but devoured every bit. Just about everything we had at breakfast had some form of alcohol in it. There was homemade apple sauce with calvados, and homemade gelato with chartreuse. They greeted us upon our arrival with champagne and pate, cheese and prosciutto and each evening delicious pastel colored French macarons. Did I mention they are from Paris? They have decorated the inn beautifully, not pretentiously. It is a warm atmosphere. The rooms are a bit small but there is a lovely verandah and a outdoor patio as well as a pool. In the evening candles are lit in and out. They are also helpful with restaurant recommendations and wineries. Calistoga is also a really nice town.

Room Tip: If size matters, discuss it with them first.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ViviColumbiaMaryland

Wow! Between our decor, our scrumptious breakfasts and our stunning scenery, it seems like you have a keen eye for detail. It was such a pleasure to read your review — your description of our golden hills was absolutely beautiful. Thank you for staying with us, and for taking the time to leave such kind words. We hope to welcome you back next year!

Warm regards,
Joel

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I grew up in Petaluma and currently live in SF, so when I choose a B&B in Napa for a mini getaway, my standards are pretty high. Out of all the places we've stayed over the years I can safely say The Chanric Inn is one of my all time favorites. The service is bar-none the best I've ever received. They go out of their way to make you feel comfortable, at home and assist with reservations or recommendations on places to see and things to do. The rooms are minimalistic with an upscale modern touch. There's a pool, hot tub and plenty of space to lounge on hot summer afternoons. The best part is the breakfast - having stayed here 3 times in the past year I have come home every time absolutely raving about the well thought out delicious breakfast served at your convenience.

If you're like me you like to enjoy a few cocktails and/or wine with dinner and it just so happens Chanric Inn is located just a few blocks from Lincoln Ave (the main street in Calistoga) - so leave the car behind and walk to dinner!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Loves2Travel415
TheChanric, Owner at The Chanric Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

It's so gratifying to hear such high praise from a California native! As you know, wine country is the ultimate destination for a quick get away. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your time with us over the years, and our gourmet breakfasts! :) Thank you for the kind words. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Regards.

Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

The welcoming French owners of Chanric Inn present an amazing 3 course breakfast each morning, and wine with appetizers each evening to compliment the lovely accommodations! We awoke to fresh red berries with Grappa reduction, grilled salmon over mashed sweet potatoes, house made bread, and roasted apples with freshly made fig ice cream... And of course cappuccino or espresso... Served in the garden courtyard! I am anticipating another visit!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Gingered3
TheChanric, Owner at The Chanric Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

We're anticipating your next visit, too! It's so nice to hear how much you enjoyed waking up with us in Napa Valley. We're always whipping up something new, and we can't wait for you to taste our latest creations. Until next time, thank you for the fabulous review!

Regards,
Joel

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Chanric Inn was unbelievable and worth every penny! As has been said over and over, the gourmet breakfast was amazing. The cheese and wine was a nice pre-dinner routine. My partner came down with an awful respiratory infection during our stay, and I must say, that the bed in our room was heavenly... poor guy spent about 90% of our three day stay in it. Joel and Jim were very gracious hosts and had a recommendation and reservation every night for a last minute dinner. The hot tub and pool area were gorgeous. The package we did with a massage and two wine tastings was worth the price. If my partner had remained healthy, it would have been a perfect stay!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank infinitiboys
TheChanric, Owner at The Chanric Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Jim and I are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. Again, we'd like to extend our sympathies to your partner. We completely understand how disappointing it is to fall ill on vacation, but it was our pleasure to keep him comfortable as he recovered. Thank you for the kind words. We hope to welcome you back next time everyone is feeling well again! Did you know that returning guest get special treats?

Warm regards,
Joel, Owner

Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
The Bergson
#7 of 27 in Calistoga
Aurora Park Cottages
Aurora Park Cottages
#8 of 27 in Calistoga

Been to The Chanric Inn? Share your experiences!