From the moment we arrived to the moment we left I had a sense of wanting to be there, and being welcomed. The hosts were understated, rather than being over the top, much closer to my taste! The word attentive reached new heights in my experience of the word made flesh. Joel is the front of house partner, while Jim is the supportive behind the scenes partner.
I hate the local law that denied us the right to experience their culinary skills in the evening. Apparently they can only do it if we rented the whole place!
I have to mention the two singleton negative reviews, we were in a room with sloping ceiling, I tried and failed to bump my head, so if I can't at 6 foot 5" the complaint can only be relevant for absent minded Basket Ball Players who always do bump their heads anyway!
The other 'terrible' review was not clear on why they did not like the Chanric apart from the fact that they wanted more space. This is a bijou boutique hotel in a great part of the Napa.
Happily most potential guests will see the ratio of positives to negatives.
Visitors should rely on Joel's local knowledge, he was also great at getting us into Restaurants. He even arranged us an apparently unusual complimentary wine tasting at a local winery, in addition to the complimentary wines they serve each evening at the Chanric.
They even cooked us an amazing quiche, despite a very early start on our final day.
If I did return to the Napa Valley I know where I would stay! But in truth there are so many other locations to explore around the world, so I am unlikely to ever again experience the best gourmet morning meals I have ever tasted.. Joel you remember you promised us the recipe for the pineapple, ginger and peppercorn dream of a course. We have promised ourselves that we will try and share this dish with friends and family. It will always be Joel's PGPCD to us!
The three ways they could improve this experience, are
1) Be based at the Von Strasser winery instead of the main highway
2) Serve evening meals
3) renovate the bathrooms
The first is a pipe dream, the second requires a change in the law, the third they are planning!
Finally to those considering the Chanric I can assure you that with Joel and Jim running it, it will only get better!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Chanric Inn, recommended by Condé Nast Johansens, offers exquisite service and enticing packages. Focused on the discerning culinary traveler, indulge in a multi-course, chef-prepared brunch and complimentary wet bar, late afternoon hors d'oeuvres with wines, Schramsberg at night . Also, enjoy soul-soothing massage treatments in our tranquil spa, hot Jacuzzi and nice pool with view. Take advantage of special rates with our packages that combine all the best that Napa Valley has to offer. We adhere to an eco-friendly and green philosophy ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Chanric Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Chanric Hotel Calistoga