“Lovely hideaway, close to everything”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Calistoga
Washington Street Lodging
Ranked #20 of 27 Calistoga B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 13, 2010

Tucked in behind the owner's house, these 5 units are a charming surprise. Our unit was a small apartment, with a full kitchen. The central area between the units has big trees, lovely flowers, a fire ring and comfortable seating. At the edge of the property is a brook.

The location is so handy - just a couple of blocks from the main street of Calistoga. On a tip from a friend, we booked here, mainly because we had spa appointments in Calistoga and because we needed a place that would accommodate my sister's cat. Although it is amazingly pet friendly, it is spotlessly clean. And very popular with pet owners. As we arrived, we saw a couple checking out with two standard poodles, and the next occupants of that unit had a pair of weinmaraners.

The unit was bright and beautiful with lots of nice, homey but not cutesy touches. The bedding was topnotch, and it was a very quiet location for a good night's sleep.

The owner sped up the cleaning to allow us an early check-in (before noon!) so we could move the cat in and get to our afternoon at Dr Wilkinson's mudbaths - terrific, too! I would definitely make it a point to come back for both the spa and the lodging!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank oscar505
There are newer reviews for Washington Street Lodging

Reviewed February 18, 2009

My husband and I picked this location from a website search. I thought it would be "quaint." It was perfect. The owner came out to give us our keys and show us the room, Cottage 4 and stayed out of our way. The items aren't new, hence the cottage look but they do provide the necessary items. It was very relaxing, you do here the kids from the school but it's not loud. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ramsey4
Reviewed August 30, 2008

Excellent location for touring the wineries by car in the day then walking into town at night for lots of loverly restaurants.
We stayed in cottage 3 - it is small but very cosy. The decking over the river provides a lovely spot to sit and relax with your bottle of wine. The most off putting thing about the cottage was that it was quite dark and the decor did not help - however it was clean and fresh towels were provided daily. We stayed for 4 nights and while I was unsure at the start I really quite liked it by the time I left - the quaintness had grown on me. If you like big modern hotel rooms then you will probably not like this place however if you are prepared to have a more open mind and go with the flow you will probably love it!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank spags4
Reviewed January 28, 2007

We found this place through the AAA book and went online to check it out. The advertised internet special was great and the idea of a little cottage in Napa was enticing.

We found our check-in to be the easiest I have experienced in my life. A gentleman (presumeably the owner) promptly came to the door when we pulled in and showed us to cottage #5. He left us the keys and disappeared. Nothing to sign, no credit card to put down...nada! It was great!

We stayed two nights and enjoyed the bonus of a kitchen, dining table, sitting room, coupons, directories, extra blankets, etc. etc. that this place had to offer.

I just read a negative review of this place and I can see if you expect a 5 Star place that you might be disappointed in the quality. However, we found it clean and cozy for our purposes and definately worth what we paid.

We also appreciated the quiet neighborhood and the stream out back that lulled us to sleep. We also thought it was great that within 5 minutes you can walk to the main street in Calistoga for dinner or drinks.

Although I was with a friend and not on a romantic getaway, if I were to come to this area again with a significant other I would definately consider the charm of this place first!

Stayed: January 2007
4  Thank whiteagles
Reviewed September 24, 2006

We were unhappy with our stay at the Washington Street Lodging cottages. While the owner, Joan was nice enough and agreed to our decision to cancel the last of 3 nights there, we wouldn't go back. For $140 a night, we rented cottage # 3. You have to pay cash....they don't take credit cards.

The brochure encourages guests to relax in the courtyard area; that might be possible if someone thought to clean and turn the cushions on the furniture once in a while. They were full of debris from the surrounding trees and pet hair. The cottage itself was tired and needed a good cleaning and a makeover. There were cobwebs on a shelf in the "sitting room" and the carpet in there looked like it hadn't been cleaned in forever. The sitting room is one chair and a floor lamp...period. The deck was a good size but you needed to watch where you walked because nailheads, over time, had poked their way up through the wood and could cause you to trip.

The queen bed was worn on both sides and had indentations...old. The pillows were soft and really smushy...totally uncomfortable. The blue shag carpet in the bedroom area was dirty and had spots. In fact, I threw my slippers out after walking in there - they were full of what looked like pet hair. The bathroom door was filthy....needed a good cleaning and a fresh coat of paint and the floor wasn't clean.

Overall, it was a disappointment and we can't recommend it. The best feature is the close walk to downtown Calistoga.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
5  Thank It'sTimeToTravel
Reviewed July 15, 2006

We were booked to stay here in September 2001 but 9/11 put a stop to this holiday but we eventually made it in 2006!! It was well worth the wait. A very friendly place. Our cottage(No. 3) overlooked the river and was great to sit outside for breakfast and listen to the birds, see the squirrels chasing each other up the trees. When we came back from the winerys and opened a bottle at night it was lovely and peaceful to sit out on our deck. Inside, the cottage was well furnished and very clean. Really enjoyed our 3 nights here. A lovely place to relax. There are hammocks and chairs to sit outside and chill out on. Also Calistoga is a very nice town.. You won't go wrong staying here. Can really recommend it to anyone wanting a place to unwind and relax.

Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank Marion
Reviewed May 2, 2005

I needed a place to stay in Calistoga to get away from the city and to give my brother a tour of Napa Valley! I was fortunate to find the Washington Street Lodge! We stayed in Cottage #2 and it had a roomy bedroom, closet bathroom and a decent size living room with a twin bed. Also, we were pleasantly surprised to see a nice size kitchen fully stocked with plates, coffeemaker, coffee, kitchenware etc. Best of all the bed and towels are fluffy and everything was VERY CLEAN AND HOMEY. WE LOVED IT!! There was a firepit outside with a hammock and you can walk to downtown Calistoga to the cafes, grocery, shops, etc. Very peaceful. There is a calico cat who will hang out a little..harmless. We were happy with the choice and for the money you cannot beat it! I will return. Joan the owner is pleasant enough but not overly friendly like some of the reviews stated. Regardless - it is worth being in that peacful little place right by the river. The only warning is that there is an elementary school near by - so you hear kids playing and screaming in the morning.

• Stayed: April 2005