“Beautiful decor, hospitality was fair”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Pink Mansion

The Pink Mansion
Ranked #9 of 27 Calistoga B&B and Inns
Greenville, South Carolina
“Beautiful decor, hospitality was fair”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Pink Mansion a couple of months back. The Mansion is lovely and the feeling regal. The breakfasts were fantastic and very filling. However, we did not find this to be a comfortable place for guests with dietary restrictions. I mentioned my concerns up front and asked if accomodating my husband would be an issue. I specifically stated that I understood that it may be an incovenience and wanted to know before booking if they were comfortable accomodating him. We even discussed possibilities for his breakfast. P.S-My husband had the same modest breakfast every day and we were forced to sit at a table with another couple each morning who also had a family member with a food restriction.

It was really ridiculous especially for the standard they seem to set for themselves. Every time I asked a question of the inn keeper there was a curt one-word response. I politely mentioned that there was a trash can missing from the bedroom area of the suite we stayed in and the reply I received was "there isn't one". I thought of many reasons for his behavior and for the change of attitude about breakfast but decided that it really did not matter. It was unacceptable to me.

Overall this is a nice place to stay but making accomodations does not seem to be their bag. Judging from the other reviews I am assuming the inn keeper was either stressed out or having a bad few days.

• Stayed May 2006
4 Thank MicheleGSC
wertzoni, Innkeeper at The Pink Mansion, responded to this review, August 23, 2006
First let me say, thanks for taking the time to post a review. However, I would like to mention that it’s funny sometimes how people perceive what other people say. For example, “there isn’t a trash can” in the room was a response as fact. Conversely, “there should be one in your bathroom”, was left out of the review. If it sounded rude or “curt”, then I apologize. When making breakfast, my conversations are admittedly short, as I normally serve 20 or more guests at the 9am hour. When breakfast begins, we have open seating for 10 couples (or more), which is open for guest choice with few exceptions. We present family style full gourmet breakfasts, which fit to the number of people staying with us. When there are special dietary needs, we try accommodating those needs ahead of time, doing the best we can for all guests. Again, if my responses were curt, it’s likely my attention was spread among 20 guests at that time. We appreciate your review, and will continue to strive to meet or exceed guest’s expectations.

Thanks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2006

First, let me say that we truly miss Tim and Larry (the bird)! We enjoyed our stay at the Pink Mansion so much, that we extended our stay an extra two days. The Wine Suite is absolutely the best room in the house. It has a private entrance through the garden, is quite large, and beautifully decorated. You hear Tim making breakfast around 7am, but that's no problem at all. Tim is absolutely the best B&B manager EVER, and his food is beyond divine!! He is attentive, pleasant, and incredibly accomodating. The wine and cheese hour is yummy, and the hotel is located within walking and biking distance of everything. We will stay here every time we visit Calistoga, and I look forward to requesting Tim's parfait for breakfast at least once. Enjoy!

• Stayed April 2006
3 Thank KellyCherry88
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2006

What we liked best about the Inn was their indoor pool. Other than that we were not happy with our stay. We saw a room on their website that we really liked and booked it. When we got there we found that our bedroom door opened right out into their living room area. It was not very private entering or leaving our room, plus it was very noisy with the guests sitting in the living room and talking. Also, our doors that opened onto a little sitting area outside opened right out next to a main highway. We could not leave our doors open at night as it was very noisy and distracting.
Next time we make reservations at another B&B we will make sure to ask if it is located next to a highway.

Stayed May 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
wertzoni, Manager at The Pink Mansion, responded to this review, September 20, 2006
This is the first ever complaint of noise (regarding this room) that I have received, in the 3 years I've worked here as manager.
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2006

Our stay at the Pink Mansion far exceeded our expectations. Situated on a lush, green hill, secluded from the Calistoga tourists sits the Mansion. We met great people and Tim, the innkeeper, was our host, chef, and an all around friendly person. The breakfast he prepared was out of this world. We enjoyed the indoor pool and the outdoor spa. The birds were a nice touch as well as the koi pond. We plan on staying at the Mansion the next time we're in Calistoga. Alan & Mara King

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2006

The highlight of our stay at the Pink Mansion was the delicious daily breakfast. If I recall correctly, the chef attended the culinary institute that's located in the Napa area. One morning we had spanish omelets, the next homemade granola with fresh fruit and yogurt. The food was simply amazing.

The inn itself is very charming. Our room was perfectly spacious, and we also enjoyed spending time in the well-maintained common areas. The staff was always courteous. Calistoga is near the north end of the chain of Napa wine towns, so next time we may stay in Yountville, or someplace more centrally located. However, we discovered Calistoga to be a very quaint town, as we spent a morning browsing the local shops.

In addition to our fabulous breakfasts, we did not have one bad meal while dining at local restaurants. We visited Terra and Martini House for dinner, and had lunch at Mustard's. All were incredible and I recommend them highly.

• Stayed April 2005
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2006

We stayed here in the Rose Suite for a couple nights to celebrate our wedding anniversary. What a beautiful room!! The pictures do not do it justice!! We've stayed in several B&B's and this room is my favorite by far. The bed was so comfortable and we really enjoyed the sitting area with the fireplace. It also had a small outside deck but the weather did not permit us to enjoy it. Plenty of space in the bathroom although it's time to update the fixtures and redo the wallpaper & paint. Wine and cheese in the evenings was fun and we actually tried a wine we liked so much that we visited the winery and it ended up being one of our favorite stops. The only downside was not having a choice over when to eat breakfast. It was only served at 9. You couldn't sleep in a little if you wanted. And then the reverse problem was if you had an early tour scheduled you were trying to hurry up and eat. And a little more help on recommendations for dinner and other activities (day spa, tour, etc.) would have been nice but we still managed quite nicely thanks to suggestions from other guests. Overall though this was a really nice, really beautiful place. We were sad to leave!

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank mdmOrlando_FL
Mokena, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2006

We enjoyed our stay. We read the reviews and it was just what we expected. Great place with nice views. Loved the outdoor hot tub. The indoor pool looked nice, but we did not go in it. Breakfast was awesome. We toured all the bedrooms, but one. They all looked nice and were quite large. The house and grounds were very well maintained. Host was great. It was very relaxing and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2006