“Won't be back”

Ranked #13 of 27 Calistoga B&B and Inns
Bakersfield
“Won't be back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

Cabin style home, good location, our main gripe was the room was unbearably hot. I had to sleep in the loft/reading room. Our very small upstairs room was uninhabitable. Outside and in the common areas it was nice but even when we opened all the windows and left the door open it was hot. Also, my husband spilled part of a glass of wine on the jute covered floor (not very comfortable when you're bare foot) and I immediately tried to contact the innkeeper but she didn't answer the door. In the morning I immediately went down to fine her and she was noticeably upset. My husband gave her 2 $100 bills and asked her if that would cover the damage. We left before breakfast was served because she was so rude and we felt uncomfortable there.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rkkilpatrick

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2009

We stayed here in a chilly mid-november for our "mini-moon". This place is, like many B&Bs, only for those who desire such a thing. If you are looking for a party scene, lots of social interaction, or large, high tech rooms, you are in the wrong genre. We are B&B advocates as we like the small, comfy, cozy and quiet room, especially in winter. This place fits the bill perfectly.

The Positives: CLOSE TO EVERYTHING. Bring your bikes and explore Calistoga. You will not be disappointed.. THE PRICE. For a warm and inviting bed just like the one at home, you cannot beat the mid-week rate especially for Napa Valley. Who wanted to pay $395 a night for a clean bed? Not me. THE BED was SOO comfy and warm I did not want to get out of it in the morning. The only thing that roused my consciousness was the smell of baked goodness and coffee coming from downstairs. The breakfast spread in the dining area was out of this world. I fully did not expect the good food, save a few pastries. The innkeeper delivered WAY more than that. The granola, yogurt and berries were the beginning, followed by a fantastic veggie and prociutto frittata and berry galette. Coffee, OJ and the daily paper were all we needed to leave with huge smiles every morning. Oh and the free internet acces and printer was a Definite plus.

What to work On: We didn't see the innkeeper much Perhaps that was a good thing.
The room are on the small side, yet there really is nothing to fix about that. It is the way it is. There could be more of an evening reception, "wine and cheese" type of thing as an extra.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank noonecandoitforme
Carolina Beach
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

Being a Property Manager myself for over 15 years I was surprised by the non- ambiance of the Bed and Breakfast. When arriving there was a note on the door to go upstairs and pick a room - no sign of the Innkeeper - then we came and went and went to bed that night - no Innkeeper. We di not have a clue if the door was locked that night or not. When we awoke in the morning we felt we were treated very coolly and this was our first meeting with the Innkeeper. To say the least we were not impressed. Spoke to others staying there and they felt the same way. It was not a friendly , warm atmosphere I expected from a bed and breakfast. Would not recommend this spot., especially for the rate that was charged.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank funlovers1
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2008

We stayed here two nights in June. Our room was not huge but the bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was a decent size with everything you would need and plenty of hot water in the shower. It was very clean and decorated nicely. There was a sitting room outside our room with a television and magazines and comfortable seating which we enjoyed. Breakfast both mornings was excellent with a hot entree and plenty of fresh fruit. The owner was a long time resident and gave us great recommendations for wineries to visit.

Be sure to visit Sattui and a small family winery - Milat Wine Company - in St. Helena (this was a favorite over all the larger wineries and the owner was great) Try their Port Chocolate Wine Sauce! If you have time, have lunch at Greystone - The Culinary Institute of America. We had lunch there on our anniverary - pricey but the best meal I have ever had.

This B&B is in a great location within a couple blocks off the main street with restaurants and shopping. There is also offstreet parking if you have a vehicle. A very comfortable place to stay and away from a lot of the commercialism in other areas.

• Liked — Location and Character of Home
  • Disliked — Would have liked room to be bigger but this is a part of staying at B&B's over hotels
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2007

Stayed 2 nights in this lovely little inn, only 3-4 rooms, very quaint. The house itself is an old craftsman, with lots of wood and nicely decorated.

We did not know check-in was at 3pm and upon meeting Deena the in-keeper, it was clear she didnt want us around any earlier, this was the only snag, not the most welcoming of sorts after a long trip.

We went out for a while and came back to select our own rooms, no innkeeper in sight. our room was very nice, clean, good firm bed, nice linens and soaps- all high quality. the common areas are small but efficient.

The breakfasts were good - lots of eat and in a nice environment. But if you want a chatty innkeeper, this is not the place for you. we were left to our own devices, good most of the time, unless you had questions.

This place is very nice and a good value in this over-priced part of the world. I would stay again.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — Chilly reception
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
the bay area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2007

I don't know where to begin. Everything about this place is just so perfect. So for now, I'll just forget about cute rooms, the charming front porch swing, and everything else and talk about the innkeeper. Fanny's is named for Robert Louis Stevonson's wife, and operated entirely by a kind woman named Deanna (a former restauranteur),
with help from her resident dog and cats. She has an incredible amount of infromation to share about the valley and it's history. (she has lived there for 25 years)

Alright, back to the rooms. Unlike other reviewers, I had no problem with the size of the rooms, because I booked the adjoining room w/ 2 queen beds. Both of the rooms were individually decorated with new and old antiques. Also left in the room upon arrival were 4 magazines for my enloyment.

Now on to the breakfasts which were plentiful and delicious, so I had something to look foreword to when I woke up. It was entirely different both days I was there. Peach Strudel, Cheese Fritatta, Vegetable Omlete, Lemon-Blueberry Waffles, washed down with fresh squeezed juice, tea, and coffee, enjoyed in the dining room, in the company of Deanna and the many guests that I had the oppurtunity to become friends with.

The only thing that I didn't like was that I had to leave, but I hope to go back again someday.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — that i couldn't live there!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank abs0lute
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2007

Stayed here in 2004 but just had to remark how romantic this unadvertized B&B is. Rooms are a bit sparse but clean and they had a TV upstairs in the common area. The parlor downstairs is a hoot with all the antiques and old books. The front porch swing is a great place to make new friends with the cat. The hammock in the yard is inviting for staring up into the trees and falling asleep. Breakfasts were huge and delicious.

This is a place unaffected by time or tourism.

• Liked — Romantic decor
  • Disliked — Sparsely furnished smaller rooms
  • Stayed July 2004