“Dog Owners Take Note!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Calistoga
Hillcrest Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #26 of 27 Calistoga B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The reviews that describe mess and disorganization are not wrong, so if you're one to be bothered by such things, take heed. However, as a dog owner who would rather not leave the pooch behind when it comes to vacations, this BnB was great. Considering that dogs are allowed and reside at the house, I thought it was plenty clean. The bathroom was well stocked with towels and all the necessities and the hallways were free from hair (I know how hard it can be to keep up with that!). Debbie took care of our puppy while we enjoyed mud baths and dinner in Calistoga, and even gave us a report on how he did while we were gone. Our room had a lovely view of the valley, clean sheets, and a great balcony. We left before breakfast, so I can't comment on that, though it did look to be more of a muffin and cereal affair. Debbie offered to make eggs and bacon for us, though, when we said we couldn't eat gluten. Overall, I would come here again to enjoy Calistoga. And being on a fairly slim budget, I thought the price was fine, if a little higher than I would like to pay. But compared to everything else in Napa, Hillcrest is certainly worth it.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Geyser View room and loved it. There's a romantic canopy over the bed so it fel...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alex L

Reviewed October 10, 2012

The excellent location and valley-view setting of this historic property are unfortunately going to waste in this establishment. The current owners have managed to forego the opportunity to offer a unique and desirable inn and have instead allowed the debris and clutter to take over. The breakfast is to be avoided, lest stale Danish and bread appeal. If the construction equipment parked around the property were moved, the trash were removed, the breakfast could be brought up to par and the view-worthy locations were made hospitable this B&B could have a future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JBuckel
Reviewed September 16, 2012

The only saving grace for this b & b is the view over the valley which is beautiful. This could be one of the best b & b experiences in view of the former grandeur of the house, the view and the family history. Sadly the house and surrounds have been allowed to decline, numerous repairs and improvements are needed and the interior and yard are cluttered. Our room the so called Master Bedroom had a great view but was distinctly grubby. Had we realised that it frequently accommodated dogs we would have realised why? In mitigation the owner Debbie was absent for much of the time having back surgery and the stand in host was very polite and helpful, although clearly under stress, but all his efforts could not overcome the inherent grubbiness and poor standard of the accommodation. Had we not been subject to a full cancellation fee we would have searched for an alternative room. For $165 per night at weekends we paid far too much compared with the excellent accommodation we have experienced in other parts of America. We cannot recommend this to anyone concerned to have clean value for money accommodation.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank maragani
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We never even saw our "hostess". The grounds were litered with disgarded piles of junk. The pool looked inviting, but guests were not allowed to use it. No one to greet us or show us around except for a pit bull and a wiener dog. When we found our room, there was a notice on the door stating we would not receive a refund on a late cancellation. Unfortunately we had reserved for 3 nights. Breakfast: stale cereal and expired ( 1 year old) boxed rice milk. Stale frozen cinammon roles, old rubbery fruit. The "garden view " bedroom overlooked the front entry where we were entertained in the early hours with belching from the teenagers who lived there. Dusty, dusty great room and dining area. The second morning I was rescued by my husband after being cornered by the barking wiener dog. The third morning we received a note from our "hostess" who preferred us to pay by cash or check. We left and had a wonderful breakfast IN TOWN. I heard the hostess had back problems. Let's be fair: if I cannot cancel after seeing the condition of the premises, should not she hire some help to maintain the B&B, and provide us with a presentable breakfast, as was advertised?? She was guaranteed our money, we were guaranteed a nightmare at "Hotel California".

Room Tip: Please do NOT book here
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kathleen B
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed at Hillcrest B&B last July and it was a nice and interesting experience.It felt like staying at someone's home. It's a very special place full of history and surely one of the best views on the valley. Debbie and her staff was very gentle, attending and the dogs were great. Our room was spacious (the master bedroom) and the bathroom was clean with enough towels. We had a balcony with a impressive view. The breakfast was a great experience with great food and we met different people from many parts of the US and the world. Still, Hillcrest B&B, can improve in certain areas. The air conditioner didn't work very well and the ceiling fan was not working at all but they resolved it efficiently providing two pedestal fans wich kept the temperature very pleasant. Our room had a small walking closet full of things from the B&B. The surroundings could also improve since there's discarded stuff in some places and the pool could use some maintenance. We believe the value is high during the weekends (when we stayed) having in consideration some of the details to improve. Overall, Hillcrest B&B is a good place to stay, we recommend it and would stay ourselves again.

Room Tip: Choose the Master Bedroom. It has a private bathroom and a great view!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2012

This experience made me a bit disenchanted with Calistoga. The "cottage" we stayed in was a shack called "Shangri la". Hot as can be, as no one anticipated our scheduled arrival by turning on the swamp cooler. Bed and Breakfast? Filthy is an understatement. Two GIGANTIC ants nests in the shower, which had not been cared for in months, obviously. Filthy, ratty towels, ratty sheets, all of the furniture is worn and dirty. VHS tv in one? When was the last time someone watched a VHS movie? Strange Polynesian decor, mosquito netting over the bed. All I could do was cry, as we were stuck with no course of action. All the way from Colorado, we felt held and beat. The owner has a seven day cancellation policy. The place is awful. Our modest expectations AT THE VERY LEAST are clean sheets, towels and ventilation or a/c. The entire property is run down and outdated. Looks NOTHING like the pictures on the internet. The main house is a step up, but the main dining room (where "breakfast" is served) was dirty, the table had a layer of dust on it. I peeked into the kitchen and it is overwhelmed with clutter, filth and knick knacks, borderline hoarder. Breakfast, was prepackaged muffins on the dusty table. Please seek other accomodations. This is not worth $125 a night. We did pay the night we stayed as a concession, but she was nice enough to not charge us the following three nights we had booked. I imagine this place will be shut down soon. The Chamber of Commerce told us there is a reason she is not a member. Future reference, buyer beware, I will always check with the chamber before I go anywhere. This was the worst I have experienced.

Room Tip: If you insist on staying here, I would ask to stay in the main house.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank napafanatic
Reviewed May 22, 2012

A friend and I escaped Y2K in late 1999, and spent two nights here on our grand tour of northern CA. We had spent the day wine tasting through Napa, then had dinner in Calistoga, and finally got to the B&B after dark, so we just made our way to our room and crashed. We found the decor not quite to our taste, but felt very comfortable and safe here. I was blown away when I awoke and saw the AWESOME views from our room.

We returned for one night in April 2010, and again, had a wonderful experience. This cemented Hillcrest as THE place I want to stay in Napa Valley. I confirmed that by staying here a third time in June 2011. I just can't get the views out of my mind (and they are so spectacular that I don't want to ever forget them ... you can sometimes see fog blanketing the valley, and if you are lucky, the "Old Faithful" of Napa Valley will erupt and be visible from your balcony.

I want to emphasize that I have only stayed here midweek, when the room with a private bath if $99 and the other two that share a bath are $69. There is NO PLACE IN NAPA VALLEY or within any sort of decent drive with that sort of rate. My facilities have always been clean and comfortable. The last two times, Debbie invited me/us to partake of anything in the fridge we wanted. Now, I cannot speak to the weekend breakfast, but I am unsure whether I would stay here if I were paying the weekend rates; I just plan my trip to take advantage of the weekday rate. I would rate Hillcrest a solid "5," were it not for the clutter around the home. Because I'm so into the views, the machinery can be distracting on occasion.

That said, I WILL BE BACK without ANY hesitation.

Room Tip: Choose one of the three rooms in the main house that have balconies facing south. You will be able...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo