“Best sparkling wine & tour”

Schramsberg Vineyards
Ranked #2 of 67 things to do in Calistoga
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Between the family and business story and the quality of the wines, if you love the tiny bubbles, don't pass up this tour. Our guide was very welcoming and knowledgeable and the wines sell themselves. We had been at Domaine Chandon earlier in the day; the Schramsberg product is superior and the back story is a rich slice of American history. It's not easy to find, but it's well worth the effort.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

We visited 9 wineries over two days, and Schramsberg was one of our top two. This place is unique; the homestead is a beautiful Victorian house (currently being renovated for its owners) and there is plenty of history and character. The wine caves here are I believe the oldest in the area, built in the late 1800s. The details of how the wine is made is different, too, as these are almost all sparkling wines. Take the tour - it lasts about an hour and gives you a tour through the caves, explains the wine-making process, and then the tasting is done by candelight in the cave. A truly awesome experience.

We visited the area in late February. Of course there were no grapes on the vines, but no crowds and plenty of personal attention everywhere we visited.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

First I must say wine is all about romance. Ok, if it's done well it tastes great also. If you are a fan or even an infrequent admirer of the bubbly, this place is amazing! I love history and the tour opens with a very entertaining back history of the winery from the early days of it's founder J.Schram and is exodus from Germany at age 15 to avoid the mandatory 16 year old draft to how he came to the Napa Valley and established the second oldest winery in the valley. Also very notable is the large collection of photos and State dinner menus up through the years where Schramsberg's champage was served. In the reception room room where our tour started there were presidents from Nixon to Obama and first ladies along with other world leaders. Very impressive. Our tour guide, Ilya was very informative and entertaining answering any and all questions posed to her.The tour of the wine caves was amazing and very impressive. there was so much to see and differant from still wine tours I have been on. There is so much more to the complex making of sparkling wine. The walls of stacked bottles of the wine were mind boggling. Alcoves 12 feet high, 12 to 15 feet accross stacked floor to cealing with bottles of wine, some 60 bottles deep. That's some serious stackage. All of this has to be processed individually bottle by bottle with hand riddling, handling each bottle everyday at one point of the winemaking process with champagen. The tasting was in a candle lit cave. Ilya was great. The wines were amazing. My wife loves French Champagne, but she loved the reserve. We bought several bottles as did the people we were with. If you are in the Napa Valley tasting, I highly recomend this as a stop, but you must call ahead as they only tour in set parties. It will be so worth it.

1  Thank Douglas M
Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

I highly recommend everyone take a tour at this vineyard. Schramsberg has always been me and my husband's celebration bottle of choice, so we were excited for the opportunity to visit. I wish I could remember the name of our tour guide because he was the absolute best. He was fun, knowledgable and had a passion for his job. I loved the tour of the cave as well as a sneak peek of the bottling process and special tasting/party room. We were then taken to another tasting room for our own tasting. Each wine was enjoyable and delicious and I would go back again to redo the whole experience. We currently have another bottle of Blanc de Blancs chilling in the fridge, ready for our next celebration :)

1  Thank IveIve3
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Schramsberg has one if the better guided tasting and cave tour in Napa and Sonoma. Although one of the larger sparkling houses in the area, the cave tour and tasting was intimate, educational and fun. I've been a Schramsberg fan for a while, but the winery experience made me a bigger fan.

1  Thank Foodwinegoofnut