“Anniversary Weekend”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Calistoga
Meadowlark Country House
Ranked #5 of 27 Calistoga B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We've just come back from a lovely stay at Meadowlark. Lovely? It was AWESOME! The grounds were beautiful. The house was big and beautiful yet so comfy and cozy. Our room upstairs was exceptionally well decorated, squeaky clean and stocked with amazing books to enjoy. Not just 1,000 page sleepers but giant, heavy, beautiful books on The Louvre, Horses of the World, and Africa, (just to name a few). One night we sat downstairs by the fire and looked through some of them while we enjoyed our anniversary cake. For breakfast we dined with Richard and Kurt (our gracious hosts), and two other guests, (aloha!). The food was delicious including herbs from their garden and farm fresh eggs from their chickens. As I think back at all of the details, I can't imagine a better place to have stayed. People, friends and new acquaintances are really important to me. The more that my husband and I travel, and we do LOTS of mini as well as big adventures, the more interested I am in new friendships and learning about new things. One breakfast with Kurt and Richard left us with such a wonderful feeling of "being in the right place at the right time".

If you want to stay in a positive and healthy environment with two wonderful hosts, at an amazing property, literally minutes from town, you must stay here.

We've just gotten back home and are already talking about visiting again in August when the grape vines throughout Calistoga will be loaded with beautiful grapes. Oh, and the wine tasting!! Fantastic. 400 vineyards all within a days' reach.

Richard and Kurt... thank you so much. You two are really a joy to be around.

Jodi and Eric

Room Tip: We stayed upstairs in a suite but I think any room would be fantastic. Our room had a fireplace, gi...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gojodigirl

Reviewed March 6, 2014

I was heading to Napa for the Napa Valley Marathon. I initially planned on staying at the host hotel, but I saw this property and decided to stay here instead. Boy were we glad we did that!

There isn't an easy way to describe the property in words. You really have to experience it to appreciate the beauty of it all.

We arrived on a Friday afternoon. It had been raining. There was a note on the door with out name on it saying that we had been upgraded and how to get to the room. As we were getting our bags out of the car, Kurt (the owner) came up from the horse barn here he had been taking care of the horses. We proceeded to have a wonderful conversation and he made sure we had everything we needed, including instructions on where to have a great dinner.

The room was delightful. The bed and linens very comfortable. Although this was off season for the property, it was spotlessly clean.

Each day, we had a home cooked breakfast with Kurt and Richard where we had some of the most fascinating conversations. We were enthralled with their perspectives on life, their kindness and their authenticity. They motivated me to be a bit more introspective! Truly delightful people.

Also, we are vegetarian, and Richard was happy to accommodate that as well. Plus their recommendations for wineries and restaurants were 100 percent winners!

After the marathon, they checked to see how I was doing and whether I was sore!

They have a lovely little dog named Sparky! He joined us periodically. Sweet puppy!

I asked if I could wash a load of clothes, and they took care of the washing and folding at no charge. How very cool!

The pool area was amazing, and although it was cold and rainy, we used the hot tub a few times. Mineral water was very nice in the tub!

If you have any reservations about this place, forget them! I felt like I was leaving my home and my dear friends when it was time to go it the airport, and I was quite sad to go! Something I have never experienced at a hotel or a B&B.

We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Despite our multi-day travel delays due to a snowstorm, Richard graciously moved our reservations and assisted us in planning our wine tastings and dinner reservations. Richard's breakfast was delicious but, most of all, my husband and I enjoyed the breakfast conversations with Richard and Kurt. The grounds were so beautiful, the location was very convenient to get to the best vineyards, and the nearby local restaurants were exceptional. Richard and Kurt were very accommodating when it came to any requests. I am embarrassed to admit I did not realize that clothing was optional in the pool area but we were the only guests so it was not an issue. I felt comfortable enough that I could even share that inhibition with Richard and Kurt during breakfast. We had a very open conversation about it. They have opened my mind and I would probably be back whether or not there were naturalists sunbathing nude in the pool area. I can see why I and so many other have loved staying at the Meadowlark!

1  Thank GQGR
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Kurt and Richard are amazing and this was the best travel experience I have ever encountered! The property is amazing and the hosts are wonderful, intelligent, enlightening, compassionate individuals who want you to relax, unwind and experience the beauty of the property and each other. Our dogs were welcomed and loved and relaxed on the back deck as much as we did. This was a perfect surprise getaway. Richard cooked a wonderful healthy breakfast and taught us a different way to pouch an egg. Kurt's enlightening advice and perspective is wonderful and I could listen to him talk all day about his views on life and people. If you truly need to relax, unwind and reconnect with nature, enjoy this stay. It will leave you feeling refreshed, relaxed and wanting to stay longer! Thank you Kurt and Richard!

Room Tip: The Poolside Suite is amazing and you walk right out of your room to the Hot tub, Sauna, and pool. T...
1  Thank Zinlover88
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed two nights in the Mountain View room on a weekend for my boyfriend's birthday, January 10 & 11. This is a lovely relaxing vacation retreat. The owners, Richard & Kurt, were so sweet and accommodating. We arrived very late on Friday night to find our room nice and warm and all the lights on to welcome us. The room was beautiful, clean, contemporary, and cozy. We slept very well on the super comfortable bed and wonderful country silence. In the mornings we awoke to a lovely view of the Calistoga mountains, a charming red horse barn, cute pond, and lots of forestry. Richard's breakfasts in the morning were fantastic! Richard served us sheared eggs one morning with ham and the next morning eggs benedict with delicious Hollandaise sauce. The table presentation was very homey complete with orange juice, coffee, tea, milk, and cereals. Meadowlark is also located within easy driving distance of many Napa highlights with convenient access to local downtowns (St. Helena, Yountville, Rutherford). Richard and Kurt are also excellent advisors on local restaurants, vineyards, parks, and interesting places to visit. Just let them know what your interests are and they will guide you in the right direction. Overall we had a lovely time and will definitely return whenever we need a relaxing get-away.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Can't say enough about Richard and Kurt. They were the most excellent hosts. We found them fascinating and very engaging. Richard's breakfasts were amazing and the breakfast conversations, which went past 11:00 am, were perhaps the highlight of the weekend. The location was perfect, minutes from downtown Calistoga yet secluded. Very low-key, laid-back atmosphere which allowed for total decompression. Being January the pool was not available, unless you wanted to do a polar bear swim, but the hot tub was available and quite pleasant. The pool area is clothing optional. We were the only couple on property so this was not an issue, but Richard and Kurt make everything so accepting that we would have been perfectly comfortable with a larger group. If you want a great get-away drop your inhibitions and head to Meadowlark.

Room Tip: Room #4 has a huge wrap-around veranda with great views of the property.
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Get yourself to Calistoga, CA and spend some time at the Meadowlark Country House.

We spent this past Thanksgiving week here. The place was all I hoped it would be. We had the Mountain View, Garden and Pond rooms which gave us our own wing to ourselves. I stayed in the Garden room and it was perfect. The room had all I needed and more. A hot soak in the Roman tub with jets was the perfect way to end the day. The bathroom lights can dim so you really can get swept away to wherever your mind takes you.

Breakfast with Richard, Kurt and guests was always a fun way to start the day. Richard and Kurt had a lot of insider information on where to go as well as stories about a lot of the places. Breakfast was tasty and the conversation interesting. We were never in any rush so we were glad to hang out for this leisurely morning.

We enjoyed spending time talking with Kurt and Richard and hanging out on the property while they were tending to the horses and other chores. One afternoon we sat on the deck of the Mountain View room and looked at the beautiful view while sitting around the patio table relaxing. While the place is clothing-optional, you can get as involved or uninvolved as you want to with that. Don’t let that deter you from staying here if it’s not your thing.

I highly recommend taking some time out of your busy life and spending it here. Thanks Richard and Kurt for everything!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family