“Wished I'd listened to VacationsALot1”
Review of Valley Oak Inn

Valley Oak Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Calistoga
Valley Oak Inn
Ranked #21 of 27 Calistoga B&B and Inns
Danville, California
“Wished I'd listened to VacationsALot1”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this cottage for two nights last weekend. First the positive - the cottage is very spacious, bright and private so our first impression was really good. The pool is also very nice. We paid our hostess Jeannette in cash $295 per night + tax. She offered us breakfast which we declined. She showed us around and gave us the key. I didn't really care for the plastic plants everywhere but it's not a deal breaker, however the cobwebs. It was pretty clear the place hadn't been dusted in a while. The windows were dirty, the bed sheets were old and there were old opened trial size shampoos under the bathroom sink that were left there by previous guests - so need I say bring your own shampoo! I stopped by the main house at 9:00am and it was locked up, I guess Jeannette wasn't joking when she mentioned she's a night owl! The pool is covered at night and opens at 9:00am, which didn't bother us as we weren't that interested but for the early bird, you'll have to ask for it to be opened early. We were up and out early, returning later in the day. Our hostess didn't come near us the entire time, not to check in to see if everything was ok, not to make the bed, not to leave a bowl of fruit - nothing! For $295 per night plus tax, I expected more. We would not recommend this cottage to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
San Jose, California, United States
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We had a great experience in this B & B. Very spacious and private. Our first day we had a lovely breakfast with fresh fruit and muffins. Beautiful pool and very nice hosts. We would definitely be back. Bed was comfy and the landscaping was beautiful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Long Island, NY
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Stayed in the cottage at Valley Oak Inn with 2 friends on a girls getaway weekend. It was so nice to have a home away from home. The high ceilings, comfortable furniture, big screen tv, all added to the comfort of our stay. We had a beautiful patio with a firepit and basically had the large swimming pool to ourselves. I did not find the furniture dated as per another review. The plastic plants were actually very real looking and all the decorations were lovely.

The big walk in shower was really nice too.

Jeanette our hostess was so nice. She made sure we had everything we needed but didn't intrude on our privacy.

Based on small hotel room prices in the area we found that this was a great value for our money.

I would highly recommend the cottage and can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: They only have one room in the main house and the cottage. The room we looked at for possibly futur...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed September 23, 2011

My husband and I stayed in the cottage last weekend. The cottage itself is lovely. The furniture and decor is dated and there are plastic plants everywhere. The pool area and the fire pit was very nice. However, for $295 a night plus tax - we expected nice bedding at least. The sheets were old and had pillings all over. The sheets may have been poly blend -sorry to be so particular but the sheets were pretty gross.
Bring your own shampoo and other essentials, this is not anything like a professional bed and breakfast.
When we informed the hostess that the television remote was not working (within 10 minutes of "checking in"), her response was "well it was working this morning." We stayed 3 nights, she never bothered to fix the problem.
When we asked about breakfast, she looked at us exasperated and said the first morning is a cold breakfast. Cereal didn't sound very good to us while on vacation so we decided not to partake in breakfast at all, as our hostess did not seem very eager to "serve" us.
She provided 2 towels for the pool area, I aked her if i can get another, her reponse was "how many of you are swimming?" I had to explain to her that i like to use two towels to lay on the metal chaise, since one towel was not long enough to cover the whole chair. I HAD TO EXPLAIN TO HER! Why am i having to explain requesting an additional towel??

The hostess Jeanette was almost comical. Maybe she just took an instant dislike to us but she was pretty bad...

I like to leave my room clean as possible, did my own dishes and other than the bed, she really did not have to clean up after us - so she really would have no reason to not like us. We paid for the 3 nights in cash as she requested. So I am at a lost as to why we were treated so poorly. On the second day, she left us three pears from her tree. Nice, right? They were delicious, we thanked her. To which, she responded by saying, "you ate them, did you see worms in them? They're organic and they usually have worms in them!" At first we thought she was kidding, why would you leave them in our room for us to eat without a warning? We thought it was comical that she was so strange. The next day she left more pears! WHY?? We were not going to eat them after what she told us??

The service was bad, bordering on rude. The bedding was disgusting and the furniture was really cheap and dated. We would never recommend this place to our friends because of the hostess. But to be fair, she may just have not liked us and she might be a perfectly nice person. You can stay here if you want a large place with a semi-private pool. Bring your own bedding (trust me!) and your own pool towels if you don't want Jeanette getting mad.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank VacationsALot1
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 10, 2011

A group of friends and I recently enjoyed 3 relaxing days in Calistoga at the Valley Oak Inn. Proprietor Jeannette couldn't have been nicer. She delivered a different, tasty breakfast each morning and went out of her way to make our stay fun and comfortable. The cottage is new, well-appointed and very clean. The layout is great with a private patio adjacent to the large semi-private pool. It beats any of the hotels for privacy, amenities and spaciousness. There is a BBQ guests can use, and a hallmark of the Inn is how impeccably maintained everything was - inside & out. We will definitely come again, and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends