“Bottle shock movie is the best part of this place”
Review of Chateau Montelena

Chateau Montelena
Book In Advance
More Info
$159.00*
and up
Full-Day Wine Country Bike and Wine Tasting Tour...
Ranked #6 of 75 things to do in Calistoga
More attraction details
Owner description: This old winery has a castle-like main building.
Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

We we're here this weekend and the hype from bottle shock put this place on the map. There are many better wines in the valley, property
Is beautiful wine is not so much.

2  Thank stregis_11
in 11 reviews
"private tasting"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed August 10, 2014

I expected it to be more touristry with big buses.. something out of the end of the movie Sideways. I was surprised with the experience. The man who was pouring was knowledgeable and interesting. It wasn't stuck up and all about the "Paris Tasting" and I would highly recommend it. I'm not a big chardonnay fan which they are known for but the reds were very good as well.

1  Thank Don T
Reviewed July 15, 2014

The most beautiful winery in my opinion. The main house is actually a chateau, with a grand tasting room that offered the best service from the friendliest guy ever. We did two tastings and ended up buying a few bottles of cabernet sauvignon, even though Chateau Montelena is most famous for produce the wine that beat out the French wines at the famous 1976 tasting. One of my favorite wines. Also, there's a gorgeous Chinese garden (the winery was owned by a Chinese-America family in the 1960s).

2  Thank Picotin W
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I'm slightly miffed. Not a bad word to say about the food although i felt that some of it may have been slightly overcooked, not a problem though, I'm not a critic.

I do however feel the staff need to be taught a measure of discretion. I shan't completely repeat what i heard but i will say I heard one of the servers refer to a table of customers as "plebs" and that they had a "S*** tier" taste in fine dining. It is fine for staff to have their reservations, i have worked in restaurants before, but please remind them to voice their grievances away from the ears of other customers, especially when there are children around.

1  Thank Aaron K
ChMontelena, Public Relations Manager at Chateau Montelena, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Dear Aaron,
We are so sorry to hear you had such a negative experience, however, we are a little confused by your review as we don't serve food at our winery - perhaps you were at a restaurant by a similar name? We take customer service very seriously and would greatly appreciate it if you would contact our Hospitality Manager, Jennifer Ryan jennifer@montelena.com, with additional details. Thank you.

Best Regards,
The Montelena Team

See more reviews
Reviewed July 8, 2014

We're big fans of the Zinfandel Chateau Montelena produces, sadly this year there was a limited production and they were limiting people to 2 bottles per person. This winery has a lot of history behind them, multiple owners who have left their mark, a castle like building and beautiful lake on the property. Definitely a must if you are in the area. *If you end up buying wine, they will waive your tasting fee.

1  Thank Amy K