“Tasting was too expensive and not refunded with purchase!”
Review of Chateau Montelena

and up
Bike and Safari Wine Tour
Ranked #3 of 67 things to do in Calistoga
More attraction details
Owner description: This old winery has a castle-like main building.
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This was my first Napa Valley tasting and I was shocked at the cost of a wine tasting. They charged $20 per person plus tax to taste 4 wines. They filled the glass with less than an ounce of wine. They did let my husband and I "share" a tasting so it only cost $20 + but we had to use the same glass and "share" the wine. It was hard to get two sips each.

We did get to see the famous bottle of Chardoney from the movie "bottle shock" but there was little else to see. We purchased a bottle of Riesling and the total bill with tasting was $47. It was not worth the money. Save it for somewhere else.

There are newer reviews for Chateau Montelena

Reviewed April 2, 2013

What makes this winery, is really the property itself. The chateau is gorgeous and the grounds are so pretty to walk around. The wine tasting is $20 per person for the general tasting. The wines were pretty good, but not my favorite of all our winery visits in Napa. I would definitely put this winery on your tour, but more for the views, as opposed to the wines.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Sometimes I feel that people rate places like Chateau Montelena "excellent" or "very good" because they're either first-timers in Napa or just haven't been around to see the real gems; Inglenook (Rubicon and now Inglenook once again), Castello di Amorosa, Rombauer, Sterling, Hess, St. Clement, etc. This particular winery seems to be living off the legacy and the coattails of its '76 Chardonnay. I'd have to say that the wines my wife and I tasted were, at best, decent. If you're really up for great wine, any of the vineyards I mentioned as gems are a much better bet. Also, the grounds of Chateau Montelena are kind of bizarre. The old building itself is very historic and interesting, but the additions, which were clearly built much more recently, look like a compilation of overstock pre-fab homes from the Hurricane Katrina recovery effort. The additions are so far from integrating into the original design, it's as if someone intended to destroy the charm of the original chateau. In my mind, they succeeded. And the grounds? Even stranger, the water surrounding the grounds has several bridges leading out to gazebos. Sounds charming right? Well, they're done Chinese style. I felt like I was in a vineyard that was turned into a miniature golf park and then converted back into a vineyard. I'm sorry, but I don't know what some of these other reviewers were thinking as they were writing their reviews complimenting the tasteless grounds. Still, once you're inside the chateau and tasting the wines, the atmosphere is quite pleasant. The value is okay, but there are much, much better choices in Napa Valley.

Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Excellent wines, beautiful setting , friendly bartender. Tasting fee required. Featured in the movie Bottle Shock. See it before you go.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

If you are familiar with the Paris competition of 1976 then you must visit this winery. It is pretty and the staff were pleasant. The wines were fabulous. Of course I was intersted in the Chard. However, it was the 2008 cab that I fell in love with!