“Extremely Dissapointed...”

Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

My hubby & I booked a room for valentines weekend, thinking we would have a relaxing weekend getaway. Not so much. We arrived at 9:30pm on Friday, only to find our keys were not in the late arrival box. By the time we found someone who could help, it took them an hour of research to tell us our reservation must have gotten "lost in the system." I had the confirmation letter from booking.com but they were unwilling to admit fault. Every hotel in the area was full. We didn't know what we were going to do. After working all day, dropping the kids off at grandmas & driving 3 hours, needless to say we were tired. Luckily, they "let us" stay in one of their cancelled rooms at no charge for the night, (by this time it was 11:30pm) but they were full for Saturday & offered no other form of compensation. I've stayed at the Roman Spa many times in the past, but after the way we were treated, I will never go back. If customer service is something you value in a hotel, stay away from this place...

• Stayed: February 2014
11  Thank Rairehart
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

As the owner, I would also like to extend my heartfelt apology over this very unfortunate situation. Sadly, the absence of a fax confirmation from booking.com lead to the lack of your reservation and confusion for the desk clerk. She recognized your frustration, how tired you both were as well as the lateness of the hour and provided you with one of our newly renovated, upscale rooms as well as a bottle of champagne, all complementary. In the morning, the assistant manager searched for accommodations in town, found 3 other properties with availability, provided a late checkout and also offered pool use for the entire day. Our entire reservation staff was upset over this situation and accepted ownership for the error. I am sorry that you felt we did not accommodate nor were willing to accept fault; customer service is an area we take very seriously and are continuously striving to improve. Once again, please accept my sincere apology.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

Having stayed in Napa, Sonoma and Calistoga a number of times, we are completed puzzled at how we ended up in this place. I think it may be because the photo representing it on some booking site we used represents it as a lovely looking spa with roman pillars, etc. Not the same place.
I'm not going to humor anyone with photos - won't waste the pixels. For around $250 per night, this place is overpriced. While it's clean and simple, it's also clean and REALLY simple. No frills. The place is not only outdated (bordering on dumpy) but they do absolutely nothing in the way of amenities. Who ever heard of a spa without robes in the rooms? How about tissue-sized bath towels? Ugh.

Avoid.

Room Tip: We've heard they have nicer rooms, though I can't imagine where. They do have nice covers/d...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ParadiseAdvice
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Unfortunately we were unable to satisfy your desires and I too wonder what photo images you were looking at since each photo of our rooms, pools, and lovely garden areas are truly representative of our property (no we do not have roman pillars, so you must have been viewing a different property).
I am also puzzled that lush flowering gardens with hundreds of varieties throughout the property, a very popular BBQ area with 2 gas grills and picnic tables, natural geothermal pools (3) regulated at distinct temperatures, umbrellas for use during the rain, Govino glasses for the pool area, plush room towels, and numerous other thoughtful touches amount to "absolutely nothing." You are correct that robes are not furnished in our standard rooms.
Although we were unable to meet your needs, I do hope you will consider Calistoga in the future, each property has something different to offer and I am sure another facility will better serve you.

Reviewed January 31, 2014

The girls go every year to relax, eat great food, drink great wine and shop. The Romas Spa is our go to place and we are never disappointed. This trip was especially nice because of the special people working their. Paige Monte, the spa manager was great. We are already looking to come back for our annual winter get away. Go Paige, you are the bomb.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Candice L
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Thank you for your wonderful comments, remarks like these really warm our hearts. Each staff member strives to provide a memorable guest experience and it is so personally satisfying when we know we have achieved that goal.

Thank you again and we look forward to serving you and your friends next year.

Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here one night to take advantage of mudbaths and hot thermal springs. Great pool and jacuzzi! Very clean and quiet, easy walk to main street Calistoga. Great little place, would stay here again next time we are in wine country.

• Stayed: January 2014
3  Thank CherryBelle
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us and experienced the mudbaths and our delightful geothermal pools. Nashville is quite a distance from us, but indeed, it would be our pleasure to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

This Fall I returned to one of my favorite getaways in Calistoga with 4 girlfriends to celebrate a friend's birthday. And it was one of the best trips there. The Roman Spa was very welcoming,, clean and the garden looked amazing, beautiful flowers everywhere. The pool/hot tub was clean and inviting. All 5 of us girls had such a fantastic and fun "Girls" weekend. It was my friends first trip to the Roman Spa and they can't wait to return. The Roman Spa provided us with a relaxing setting to laugh, relax and celebrate the birthday. Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: I always like to get an upstairs room for extra quietness and close to the outside fountain to hear...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank tikirico
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Thank you for your warm and wonderful comments. Girls getaways are always so much fun! Often we have groups of women who find our resort a favorite for just as you described, a relaxing setting that provided fun, laughs and a wonderful place to celebrate.
I'm so happy your friends found your choice a place they want to return to. We look forward to serving each of you in the near future.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

My husband and I reserved the room near the pool with the kitchen unit. The rooms and beds are very comfortable. We have been coming for years and like the ambiance at Roman Spa. The only thing we were disappointed with was the temperature of the pools, and that was the main reason we go. They were definitely not as hot as in past years. Several of the guests we spoke to felt the same. I would give it five stars if they would fix that.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Thank you for your comments. I will take your concerns to our maintenance department related to the pool temperature. We maintain the indoor pool at 100 degrees and the outdoor whirlpool at 103 degrees. The large outdoor pool is the only pool that fluctuates in temperature. Typically, we run that pool at 96-98 degrees in the winter and 92-94 degrees in the summer. Depending upon how warm the day will get, we have to adjust the morning temperature so it won't get overheated by the afternoon. I'm not sure what temperatures you experienced in the large pool during your visit but we strive to maintain the same temperatures as we have for over 30 years and hope your next visit is more satisfactory related to pool temperatures.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Mud bath was fun. My husband and I did it together. The bath attendant checks on you and brings you water and cold cloth for forehead, but gives you privacy to get in the tub on your own. They also let you get out of the mud bath and into the mineral bath on your own. I liked this better than having people in the room while I'm getting in and out of tubs.

Massages were great. Also, you can use the mineral pools for an hour before and after your treatments. We met some regulars there who told us that Roman Hot Springs has some great deals if you get them at the right time. We did the "Friday Special", which was mud and mineral baths for two, and 50 minute massages for two, for $225 (plus tip).

The waiting area is almost non-existent. We didn't mind, but if you like the fancy waiting areas with snacks, etc. It's not here. It's not a fancy place, but does the same quality services as other places in the area for much less money.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Caley H

Thank you for your wonderful comments. Indeed, a mud bath experience is "fun." Our staff is very attentive to each guest which then translates into an amazing experience.
We look forward to serving you again in the future.