“The girlfriends getaway”

Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is my second year of staying at the Roman Spa with my girlfriend. We enjoyed 4 days of total relaxation. The front desk personal was friendly and pleasant. The rooms are very clean and the daily service is very good. Great service and very attentive. The massage at the spa was wonderful to say the least, I highly recommend Roy, this was my second session with him as I also had a massage last year. I would highly recommend the Roman Spa and can't wait to return with my best friend next year.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your last "girls getaway" with us. We greatly appreciate that you chose us for your second year in a row for this special time together. We are always thrilled to hear from many of our guests who have made us their special yearly or semi-yearly retreat. We look forward to serving again next year.

Reviewed September 12, 2013

First time staying here. Took my daughter here for a weekend to celebrate her 21st birthday. Had a great time. We started off at the spa with the mud, mineral baths & massage. Very nice! Great service-pleasant & attentive. The facilities were down to earth & comfortable. On to the hotel.....the room was better than I expected, based on prior reviews & pictures. It's an older property, obviously, but very well maintained. Clean & comfortable. The full kitchen was especially nice, with every accoutrement I could imagine needing, and the view out the kitchen window was lovely in the morning. The grounds are nicely landscaped with lots of little places to sit & enjoy a glass of wine, or cup of coffee. There's plenty of parking, which, along with it's location close to "downtown" restaurants & shops makes it ideal. The pools were very nice. However if I have one complaint it was that on the weekend we went there were several large groups, so it rather felt like we had crashed someone else's pool party! I can see why a large group of friends/family would like to stay/get together here though, so it makes perfect sense. We'll definitely return.

Room Tip: We liked the upstairs room toward the spa (parking lot) side of the property. There was less foot tr...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I am so happy that you chose us to celebrate this very special milestone in your daughter's life and were able to assist in making it a very special and memorable weekend. I am sorry if you felt you were "crashing someone's pool party." Every weekend is different, some weekends are filled with couples or girl's getaways; other weekends are family reunions, friends gathering together, or weddings, and none of those are predictable either. I'm glad to hear you plan to return and we look forward to serving you next time.

Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

First time staying here. Killed 2 HUGE spiders amongst earwigs & other bugs in the room. The AC was mediocre at best & would not run @ night. Considering it was an extremely warm weekend, AC to me is a must. When complaining of the AC not working, I was told it was because of a motion sensor. What good is that to the patron if it isn't working at night? The service wasn't all that great & most responses I got from the staff were fairly rude.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank SuperFitMom
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

As I stated to your friend in the previous review response, I apologize for your less than satisfactory visit with us. There has been a discussion with staff related to your comments and I appreciate you informing us of your concerns in order to improve our customer service.
In regard to your comments about spiders and earwigs; the Napa Valley is a rural agricultrual region which brings spiders, ants, bees, mosquitoes, etc. Recognizing that, we have a pest control company contracted to service us every month to take care of those situations. I'm sorry if you experienced a few of these "pests" in your room, we do our best to keep those under control.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

BEWARE! I have stayed there before and it was ok....but this time the people at the check in were extremely rude on check in and on check out!!! Checkout took 30 mins because she made a mistake and couldn't figure out how to fix it ... The mistake was in my favor so I should have had to wait 30 min to check out. ALSO ... The rooms have motion sensors for the air conditioning ( I was not told this until I called to complain because it was Soooo hot in the rooms over night) so the air never kicked on at night .... Even if you move in bed the sensor is set to kick on if you are standing motion ! We paid $250 a night for a room with basically no air and rude service

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank monetgirl14
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

How unfortunate that your experience this time was far less than you expected, I appreciate that you took the time to let us know. I apologize if you were treated in a rude manner by one of our front desk associates. We pride ourselves on our friendly, helpful, and courteous service which is commented on by guests often. We can only improve when we are aware of encounters which can then be discussed with our staff.
I’m also sorry to hear of your problems with the A/C, indeed the weekend was unseasonably warm at over 100 degrees and the A/C units have an energy saving feature that was installed a few years ago, however, they typically work even with reduced night- time movement. Again, I apologize for your inconvenience and will address your concerns with our staff.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in Calistoga at the Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort. The location is fantastic and well within walking distance of many bars and restaurants. There is also plenty of free onsite parking, which was a pleasant surprise. We were placed in a Kitchen Suite on the ground floor right next to the pool, which turned out to be a pretty bad location. The only window in our room was one facing the pool and we felt we needed to keep the blinds closed to avoid feeling like zoo animals while guests walked to and from the pool area. The room was fairly dark to begin with so we could have used some extra sunshine and fresh air. Furthermore, the room itself was quite outdated and really in need of a refurbishing. That said, housekeeping was excellent and we truly felt as though the room was thoroughly clean. My suggestion to potential guests would be to book early and when doing so, inquire about the available rooms and locations. We booked at the last minute when availability was low and there were few room options.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SHNewYork
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you felt that the housekeeping was excellent as we pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our rooms, I'm sorry you felt the room was outdated. I do hope you enjoyed our geothermal pools as well as our beautifully landscaped grounds as well as the barbeque area which is quite popular with our guests. Calistoga is a delightful town and I am happy you enjoyed your time here.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

The Roman Spa was perfect for our retirement motorcycle trip to Napa Valley. Upon arrival, we discovered our clean and spacious room near the clubhouse spa and pool where we enjoyed these amenities. An added bonus was the breeze way laundry facilities necessary for cyclist who cannot pack enough clothes.
The Roma Spa was the perfect location for our limo driver to pick up to begin our Napa tour scheduled to visit the most locations expediently.
Calistoga is a quant town with everything necessary from food and drink to entertainment.
We will definitely keep the Roman Spa on our next schedule for the wine country.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jlatkins55
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This is our second time staying at the Roman Spa. comfortable beds, nice to have the refrigerator in the room and just step outside and we were steps away from the pool. We love our spa treatments here also, we did the mud bath, mineral bath, & couple massage. I have to be careful with my knee and the handrails on the mud bath and mineral tubs does make it safer and easier for me. It is so nice to have a choice of restaurants that are just steps away.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple