“Quaint, Cozy and Beautiful along with Great Service”

Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We loved our rejuvenating stay at the Roman Spa. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. Give them all 5 stars for great service. From the Mud Baths, to Massage therapists to the front desk attendees...great service and great accommodations. We loved the treatments and the mineral pools. Just what we needed. Thank you. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Room #150 is very nice.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Thank you very much for your kind comments. It is such a pleasure and privilege for us to serve our guests, we truly enjoy getting to know them and assist in any way to make the stay most enjoyable.
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and your spa experience.
We look forward to your return in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort

Reviewed August 24, 2012

This place had all you need for a peaceful and rejuvenating trip to Calistoga and the greater Napa region. We loved the three pools and sauna access, and the bed was among the most comfortable I have experienced.

Within close walking distance to the shops, restaurants, and vineyards of Calistoga. Be sure to pick up some cheese and snacks from the Cal Mart before heading out for a day of wine tasting.

The hotel does not offer a breakfast or room service, but it has a grilling area for guests to use and fridges inside the rooms.

If you are looking for five star, lap of luxury pampering this isn't that sort of place, it is a little more modest but it is fun and relaxing and we loved it!

Also I can't comment on the the massages and bud baths, we didn't take advantage of the spa.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments. Visiting all the way from Nashville I do hope you truly enjoyed everything our wonderful Valley has to offer. I'm glad your stay with us was relaxing and you enjoyed our geothermal pools. As you mentioned we do not serve breakfast but have a wide assortment of breakfast choices just a block away that provide lots of options which our visitors love. There is even breakfast served at our neighborhood farmer's market on Saturdays!
I hope you have the opportunity to visit us again in the future, we look forward to serving you.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed at the Roman Springs for one night during our visit to Napa Valley. The hotel was coveniently located at the heart of Calistoga. We walked to dinner and breakfast. Overall the hotel is charming, simple and clean. It is a bit outdated, although they are renovating now. We stayed on the un-renovated side and I still find it quite comfortable - clean and basic. The bed wasn't as comfortable as they claimed it to be. The warm, mineral pool was excellent to shoothe our aching feet after 3-days hiking. The blue painted concrete pool didn't look good at first because of the yellow build up on the wall, but then I realized that it was caused by the mineral build up. Perhaps an idea for pool renovation will be to use natural stones to make the pool look more appealing. Nevertheless, we had a great stay at Roman Springs.

Room Tip: Ask for rennovated room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Thank you for your comments, I am glad to hear you enjoyed our hotel and the mineral pools after hiking for several days. The geothermal water is an incredible gift from the earth and is healing in so many ways. As an aside, the pool water is that blue and clear, our pool surface color is an off-white, and indeed the build up that adhears to the pool walls is the natural mineral deposits that cause the discoloration. Each week a team of workers hand scrub the tiles in an effort to reduce the mineral deposit buildup. Additionally, I appreciate your idea for natural stones (which would look wonderful), unfortunately, our health department will not permit us to do so and are extremely restrictive, darn.
I hope that if you find your way in our area in the future you stop in to see us again, we would love to be of service.

Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

the hotel is ok. but the mud baths are excellent. I get a lot of massages and I had the best massage of my life with Gina. the mud baths are hot thick and feel fabulous. a real treat. but ask for Gina, she made it spectacular.

• Stayed: August 2012
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2012

We are so glad you enjoyed your spa treatment from Gina, who indeed is an amazing practitioner. I am also glad you enjoyed the mud bath experience. Hopefully you will be able to return at a later date to return for another wonderful spa experience.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Just got back from an overnight at the Roman Spa Hot Springs! What a relaxing experience! I went with a good friend I hadn't seen forever, and we so enjoyed sitting by the pool and beautiful gardens, catching up. The pools are for the guests only and therefore not overrun with people and the whole time there I did not see a single child. I do think they are child-friendly, but I mention that as some people do want a more "adult" experience then you'll get at other places, like the Calistoga Spa and Resort. The rooms aren't fancy, but they are very clean and comfortable. And you immediately find yourself relaxing the moment you check in.

The staff is also very accommodating. We had scheduled a mud bath but found ourselves running late (that drive though St. Helena can take forever). They very graciously rescheduled our mud bath for an hour later and let us check in early. The mud bath was wonderful and very relaxing as my friend and I were in a room by ourselves, up to our necks in mud, laughing and chatting side by side, with a wonderful attendant who brought a cool cloth or cup of water at just the perfect moment. We also were able to extend our checkout by an hour, and you can (if you chose) continue to use the pool, etc., an hour beyond checkout.

For those who think this place is overpriced, I'd just point out that it is one of the more affordable options in the area. This is wine country and the peak of the season. Nothing is going to be cheap. I have stayed at fancier places in the area, but personally, I'll be back to enjoy the family-owned feel of this place, its beautiful surroundings and friendly staff.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Diane,
Thank you for your very kind review and comments. I'm so glad you and your friend enjoyed the mud bath adventure, it is an amazing experience and the staff is always quite attentive as you so graciously mentioned. We strive to provide a total experience between the hotel and spa that gives you a relaxed, refreshed, and revitalized stay. As you atested, we are the perfect place to catch up with good friends, get away for a romantic few days, or bring the family. We are kid-friendly allowing children over the age of 4 with adult supervision to soak in our pools. All in all, we are a relaxing retreat in a very special place gifted with authentic geothermal water and Calistoga is the only place in the Napa Valley that has this amazing water. Maybe that is one of the reasons Calistoga was voted # 1 spa town in North America!
Thanks again and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

I have been staying at the Roman Spa in Calistoga since I was a little girl. The charm and intimate setting is priceless. It feels like a home away from home especially since I usually get a room with a kitchen. The 2 outdoor mineral pools are wonderful and the indoor one is a treat especially in the wintertime. Last year I got married in Calistoga and the whole family stayed at the Roman Spa that weekend. Needless to say, this place holds a special place in my heart!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank ABRW
94515management, Owner at Roman Spa Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

It truly touches my heart when I hear all the stories of guests who have been with us since our start in 1975 (some even remember visiting here BEFORE it was the Roman Spa), and then tell us how they either got married in our town (such as yourself), or met their future spouse at the Roman Spa, or that their children or grandchildren are beginning the same tradition. We strive to be that retreat, special place, home away from home for so many and knowing we are achieving that goal, is truly gratifying for every staff member.
Thank you, your comments makes us smile!

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Having never experienced a mud bath my family decided to look into spas in Calistoga. After talking to friends and reading reviews we made a reservation to stay over night at The Roman Spa and Hot Springs.We rented the family room which was a suite with a queen and two singles. This was perfect for my husband,my two nearly adult children and me.The beds were super comfortable,the kitchen was fully equipped! We could have made 3 meals a day there very easily there.The room was spotless and updated. Some of the other wonderful features here were the beautfully kept up gardens that were like a tropical paradise.There are 2 hot mineral pools to swim in, a jacuzzii hot tub, and 2 dry saunas for use up until 10pm.Grills and outdoor tables are also available. You can easily walk all over Caistoga and visit stores and a good selection of eateries.We also had a fantastic experience at their spa.We will go back!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank bbqsizelove

Thank you for your kind review. I am always pleased to hear from families that stay with us find our kitchen suites meet all their needs. Indeed, we try to stock the kitchens with the items we would want to find if we were traveling with a family for several days and didn't want to go out to eat for every meal, another reason we have 2 gas grills as well as charcoal grills in the barbeque area.
We look forward to serving you again in the near future and are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.