“Terribly disappointing” 1 of 5 bubbles

Chelsea Garden Inn
Ranked #11 of 27 Calistoga B&B and Inns
“Terribly disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2006

My husband and I decided to turn his business trip into a mini vacation. We had few options because we booked late, Saturday night (4/1) for the following Thursday and Friday (4/ 6 - 7). We tried to book online for the Chelsea Gardens. Their staff member called that evening because the online booking was problematic. She took my credit card and other information, and reserved a room for us. Two days later, my father died. I called the hotel (Tuesday morning, 4/4) and canceled our reservation explaining that there was a death in my family and that we were catching a flight out of state that morning.

When we returned home we found the hotel had charged us almost $200. I was certain this was a mistake, so contacted hotel staff and the owner. The owner was unwilling to reverse the charges. I explained that I had booked only a few days in advance, provided my credit and other information over the phone to a staff member, cancelled because my father died, notified them as soon as I could, and was not told of any fee when I spoke with the staff to book or to cancel. I noted the significance of the reason for our change of plans and asked for her understanding.

The owner refused and noted that she could have charged us for both nights. Her short-sighted, callous approach to the situation guaranteed that we will never stay at the Chelsea Gardens. I refuse to do business with those who have lost their humanity. I caution people who are thinking of staying there to consider other options.

Stayed April 2006
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2006

Wine country. Doesn't get any better than that! We were so pleased with the Chelsea Garden Inn. The suite was lovely, the common room light and airy, the pool restful and refreshing. We enjoyed light conversation with our host as a wonderful breakfast was prepared, and relaxed late in the afternoon with wine and hors d'ouevres. We strolled to Calistoga's quaint 'downtown' from the Inn. This is what we love (and expect) of a B&B.

• Stayed April 2006
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pleasanton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2006

My wife and I stayed at this B&B this past month. We had a great time. It was our very first B&B. Our time could not have been better. We stayed in the lavender room. We loved the sitting room and the bathroom. This was in addition to the bedroom. There was a nice gas fireplace by the bed that heated the room. Most of th time my wife and I enjoy staying in a nice hotel. We always wanted to try a B&B. After this experience we could not believe what we had been missing. The room was so much nicer than your regular embassy suite or hilton. The attention to detail made you feel that it as worth every penny. I might add that we paid more for a embassy room the night before. The social room was excellent. Nice quiet music with some wine and cheese, plus the fire going. Very nice furniture and clean. You really felt like you were at a friends house. In the morning we got the chance to sit around with other guest that were there talk about anything that came up. It was a nice way to start the day.

• Stayed January 2006
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Iphone12_34QWEC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2005

This was our 5th visit to Chelsea Garden and we have tried several other places in the surrounding area. What keeps us coming back is the uniqueness of the layout of the property which has several seperate residences. Each one has its own character and all are nicely appointed and homey. You can't beat the full morning breakfast which is prepared with fresh ingrediants and outstanding recipes. The proprietor is friendly and full of information to help you find the best restaurants, spas and wineries. We will definitely be back. Mary and Allan

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2005

A peaceful retreat and a perfect vacation spot in the Napa Valley, The Chelsea Garden Inn is quite simply, wonderful. Our family rented the whole Inn for our daughter's wedding which took place at a nearby resort. In addition to the beautifully appointed rooms, lovingly decorated with delightful collector items, Gary Venturi was the perfect host. His warmth, friendly attention, and genuine welcome made it so nice to come "home." Soft classical music, gourmet breakfasts and a glowing fireplace just round out the ambiance. The location of the Inn is perfect, a nice, quiet block from downtown in a residential area. Landscaping and cottages add to the feeling of quiet seclusion.

We will go back, many times!

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2005

The Chelsea Garden Inn is a great stopoff in Calistoga. Although not as plush as some B&Bs in the area, it makes up for that with the fantastic service and friendly welcome from the manager, Gary. He is knowledgeable about the local area and does a wonderful job with breakfasts!

The main room of the inn itself is great - very warm and well finished; however, our room - Palm - could use some TLC. The water pressure in the shower was variable and the bed was definitely not a "queen" as stated. Finally, the chair and sofa were really uncomfortable and needed to be MacGyvered with pillows!

That said, the inn is in a great, quiet position, right by downtown (but avoiding the traffic on main street) and you can walk to any of the local spas and restaurant easily.

6 Thank LimeyHoya
Fairfield, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2005

We stayed a long weekend in the Palisades Suite. I thought my mom would get a kick out of the decor, very evocative.
It was convenient being attached to the main room, but maybe no private enough for a couple.
In all, we enjoyed our stay. It was quiet and
restful. The other guests were fun to talk to, everyone very friendly-nice couples.
The breakfasts were great. The wine and hors d'oeuvres were tasty. The wine was not anything really special, but not bad.
There were a few things I was not thrilled about.
When we checked in there was a big cobweb with a little black spider above the daybed which I took down. The carpet was grubby looking in the rooms and on the stairs. It is light colored and could use a shampoo.
Our rooms were straightened for us, but not vacuummed
while we stayed there-and there was a vacuum in the closet upstairs so would not have been too hard.
In this room, there was a problem with the hot water while the inn-keeper's helper was working in the kitchen. It is like staying at someones house, that way. I am only mentioning this, as it was a bit pricier to stay at a B&B.
I was there to be with my mother for an early 75th birthday celebration, and my adult daughter came up for the first two days. We had a wonderful time in the Valley, the fall colors and views gorgeous.
The inn is in a good quiet location, the St is not that pretty, behind Cala Foods and across the Street from a trailer park on Fairway, but it was peaceful.
I felt that was more important.
I would recommend the Inn. It is a great departure from staying at a motel or hotel, kind of quirky and fun. The lady taking care of the inn for Gary, the regular keeper was very nice and helpful.
My mom and my daughter had a good time, and were tickled by the the ambience, always something interesting to look at!
I also found a guestbook in our Suite, and loved reading it. There was an entry by a lady that was
there over 9-11 and had to extend her stay.
Lots of honeymooners, and reunions.
I was lucky we could all get together before the holidays and take a break from our busy lives, and this was a great place to do just that.
Would like to come back with husband, but he likes the TV by the big bed!! :)

12 Thank HappyGrandma