“Would not recommend this place”

Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Los Banos, CA
“Would not recommend this place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2005

First of all, this place is not a hotel, it's a motel. Staff was not very friendly or accomodating. The rooms do not have a phone to contact the front desk or even another room. We reserved 2 rooms that we were told would be next to each other on the 2nd floor (room 16 and 17), but they were not. The rooms were separated by the spa. In order to walk from my room to the other, I had to walk downstairs and then walk up a seperate flight of stairs. The are no elevators or ramps for disabled individuals. Just turning on the water in the sink to wash your hands will cause the entire room to have a nauseating smell of sulfur that we weren't even informed about until we checked in and paid for our rooms. There is no hair dryer, phonebook, continental breakfast, no iron, no shower cap, no dresser drawers for clothing, and the television remote did not even work. If you can, just spend the extra money to have a relaxing enjoyable stay elsewhere where you can at the very least be provided with some of the basics that Golden Haven is seriously lacking.

• Stayed November 2005
6 Thank Kiana M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2005

October 28, 2005 was our 10th Wedding Anniversary and my husband arranged for us to spend 2 nights at the Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa, in Calistoga, California. We purchased the couples Mud Bath, Mineral Springs Bath and Massage. This was our first experience with a Mud Bath and I was a little nervous; however, the Attendant assigned to us was truly wonderful. She answered all of our questions thoroughly and put my concerns to rest. The Mud Bath itself was rejuvenating. I have never felt my skin this soft. Our attendant anticipated all of our needs and she was very professional and courteous. The next experience 4 hours later was the couples massage. My Massage Therapist's name was Adam and he was awesome! I have had a massage before, but it didn't even come close to this experience. I have had 6 spinal fusions, cervical, thorasic and lumbar with plates and hardware, and my back is in constant pain. The technique Adam uses, allowed him to reach a DEEP tissue level massage that loosened up the muscles and left me totally relaxed. He was also very professional and attentive to my needs, understanding my back's condition.
I must also comment on the Front Office staff, because their warm, courteous welcome started the weekend off smoothly. Ten years ago on this date I experience a one of a kind event with my wedding, and ten years later we experienced a one of kind spa treatment at Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa that I totally recommend to anyone looking for rejuvenation and relaxation. We are looking forward to our return trip. Thank you for the once in a life time, First experience encounter.

• Stayed October 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2005

The Golden Haven exceeds expectations for a touristy (impersonal, mass produced services) area. Rooms are immaculate, comfortable, reasonably priced. The pool and jacuzzi (hot springs fed) are a joy; tons of towels supplied! Staff are unpretentious, friendly and helpful; spa services excellent and available into the night. Location is perfect, a five-minute (flat!) walk through lovely leafy neighborhood to main street for meals and shopping, one block to highway out to Silverado or hikes up Mt. St. Helena and the dramatic, lava palisades overlooking the valley. The Hummers and Escalades share the parking lot with the Volvos and VWs. Everybody, it seems, loves this place.

• Stayed October 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Ann Arbor, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2005

We stayed at Golden Haven for two nights in mid-September. It was one of the most reasonably priced places we could find, and we really enjoyed it. Because we were on our honeymoon, we splurged and got the king bed with jacuzzi ($199/night). We really could have skipped that, and a queen bed is only $99/night. The smell of sulfur does permeate the place, especially when the jacuzzi is pumping. I don't mind the smell, so it didn't bother me at all. The place is clean and functional, but not luxurious by any means. They are very busy, and the staff are friendly but seem a little harried, as they manage both the hotel and the spa.

We indulged in the couples mud bath, jacuzzi, and blanket wrap, and each had an hour-long massage. This was great, and very reasonably priced ($139 each for the entire package). The mud baths were an interesting experience (our first), but were very relaxing. The massages were great. We would definitely recommend this place to anyone seeking an inexpensive hotel and good, reasonably-priced spa treatments.

• Stayed September 2005
2 Thank A2girl_13
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2005

We had never been to the wine country. We originally had a reservation at a hotel in Napa. My husband was nautious from the smell of the sulfur. We checked out 15 min. after we had checked in. With a throbbing headache, checked into the 1st floor room at the Golden Haven Resort where we were welcomed by the front desk asking if we would like to schedule our spa treatments. It was a couples massage that got rid of our headaches. Great time in the mineral springs pool.

• Stayed April 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Stamford, CT
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2005

I actually really liked this place. I thought the beds were really comfortable, it was quiet and located close to everything in the area.

My husband and I enjoyed the couples mud bath and thought the massages were the best we'd ever had. The therapists were very nice and experienced.

My complaints would be that the office closes from 9pm-8am and that the rooms are not equipped with hair dryers. Also, the front desk staff was not the nicest.

If you are looking for an upscale spa resort, this is not the place for you. However, if you are looking for a regular, clean room in a great location and a place to get some extremely inexpensive spa treatments, this is the place.

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank hedylarue
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2005

Over the years I have been to many of the Spas in Calistoga, but last weekend I took my husband for the 1st time. We went to Golden Haven- I believe they're the ONLY co-ed spa there.My husband was nervous and doubtful of the experience, but he ALSO can't wait to go back!The people were friendly, Maria (who guided us thru) was wonderful ! The grounds are quite nice, and the mud (seems everyone has a different "type", was some of the best I've been in!)
All the way home my hubby kept saying he couldn't believe how much he enjoyed it. I am and will continue to recommend Golden Haven to my friends and family !

• Stayed July 2005