“Just fine but definitely no frills”

Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed July 28, 2005

I actually really liked this place. I thought the beds were really comfortable, it was quiet and located close to everything in the area.

My husband and I enjoyed the couples mud bath and thought the massages were the best we'd ever had. The therapists were very nice and experienced.

My complaints would be that the office closes from 9pm-8am and that the rooms are not equipped with hair dryers. Also, the front desk staff was not the nicest.

If you are looking for an upscale spa resort, this is not the place for you. However, if you are looking for a regular, clean room in a great location and a place to get some extremely inexpensive spa treatments, this is the place.

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank hedylarue
There are newer reviews for Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa

Roseville, Ca
Reviewed July 11, 2005

Over the years I have been to many of the Spas in Calistoga, but last weekend I took my husband for the 1st time. We went to Golden Haven- I believe they're the ONLY co-ed spa there.My husband was nervous and doubtful of the experience, but he ALSO can't wait to go back!The people were friendly, Maria (who guided us thru) was wonderful ! The grounds are quite nice, and the mud (seems everyone has a different "type", was some of the best I've been in!)
All the way home my hubby kept saying he couldn't believe how much he enjoyed it. I am and will continue to recommend Golden Haven to my friends and family !

• Stayed: July 2005
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed June 24, 2005

My first experience with this hotel left me not wanting to ever return. I dreamed of a quiet relaxing atmosphere, but my room was right over the outdoor jacuzzi pump which loudly pumped from 8:00am through about midnight. This room should never had been rented to anyone. The noise prevented me from having the window open, and this was especially bad because the smell from the mineral water permeated the room--coming from the pool and jacuzzi area, as well as the bathroom in the room. The whole room smelled like a uncleaned bathroom. All the hot water in the rooms comes from the mineral water springs--so unless you love this smell on your hair and skin, you have to skip a warm shower and wait till you get to the next city's hotel room to freshen up. So much for quiet and relaxing. More like noisy and the antithesis of aromatherapy.

• Stayed: June 2005
Belmont, CA
Reviewed June 13, 2005

My Mom and I visited Golden Haven for a mother/daughter spa weekend and it was wonderful. The modest rooms were very clean and comfortable. Our room had an extra bedroom with a door which added privacy (very nice). As others have mentioned, the location is in a mostly residential neighborhood, but this didn't bother us at all. In fact, we enjoyed walking around the neighborhoods and taking the short (about 8 blocks) walk to the downtown area of Calistoga. The spa was fabulously relaxing. The spa staff was great (the front desk staff seemed slightly stressed). We really enjoyed the mud bath and we both had wonderful massage therapist. We’re already planning our next trip!

• Stayed: June 2005
Willits, CA
Reviewed April 4, 2005

I love this place!! I treated my daughter to a trip for her birthday. This was her first time to a spa. We were greeted warmly and the staff was very friendly. The rooms were comfortable and very quiet. That was a BIG plus. the grounds were kept up great. Very clean. THe pool was wonderful. Now the actual spa treatment was the best. The facility was very clean and we had a good time joking with the staff. We had a spa package for two and the mud bath/Jacuzzi room was very nice. The young man that attended to us was very nice and always respectful of us. The blanket room was great for a quick nap before our massage. The ladies that gave us our massages were wonderful. Very attentive and absolutely catered to our needs. It was all we could do to walk back to our rooms when it was over.
When we wanted to go to town for something to eat they were more than helpful in pointing out some great places to eat. Which is all of Calistoga!
I would highly recommend Golden Haven Hot Springs to anyone wanting a quiet, relaxing and pampering kind of vacation! I can't wait for my sisters to come visit so we can enjoy this spa together.
Thanks again

• Stayed: March 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Petaluma, CA
Reviewed March 29, 2005

My girlfriend and I just spent the night at Golden Haven in the Jacuzzi room. First of all, the room was absolutely perfectly clean; leading me to be impressed from the minute I opened the door. We were told that our Jacuzzi water would have a slight sulfur smell to it upon checking and in and sure enough it did, but it wasn't over powerful at all. The King Size bed we had was very comfortable. It was a firm mattress with a nice "egg-crate" style foam pad on top. Both of us slept incredibly well, and we are used to sleeping on a Tempurpedic mattress. There were a few comments on other reviews about the area surrounding the Spa and I personally think they are completely incorrect. The neighborhood is not "run down" at all. In fact it appeared that many of the neighboring homes were being remodeled and the rest of the homes were dated but certainly not an eye sore.
The best part of the trip had to be our spa treatment. We did the couples Mad Bath with 1/2 hour Mini-Facials. The staff treated us incredibly nice the entire time. They always knocked or announced their presence as they walked in, and they explained the whole process very nicely. Lynn, Pat, and Maria were outstanding to us, and made us feel incredibly comfortable being that this was the first time we ever did this. Again I think the complaints on other reviews about Golden Haven are completely wrong. The Mud Bath room was very clean and the tubs, shower and Jacuzzi were all inviting. While in the blanket wrap room we did hear a few voices now and again from outside, but it wasn't bothersome at all. All in all, it was just an incredible experience.
I think anyone reading this, who may be thinking of Golden Haven, should feel very comfortable with the establishment. I know my girlfriend and I are already thinking of going back as soon as we can.

• Stayed: March 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 6, 2004

A short 5 minute walk to the heart of Calistoga, this spa is off the traffic route that other spa facilities are on. The rooms are well appointed and quiet. There is a heated pool with mineral water. The mud bath treatment (a special price with the room) with the jacuzzi and herbal wrap are soothing and relaxing. The staff is well trained and helpful. Get a massage after the treatment for a perfect end to the day.

3  Thank wmheike