“I would stay here again”

Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I stayed here in the summer of 2013 for the fourth of July weekend. The room had a separate bedroom I was not expecting, therefore, more than plenty of space. The rooms do use hot water from the springs and therefore there is a sulfur smell. Be prepared for that. We slept well and enjoyed our time here. In the back parking area was a gathering spot to see the fireworks from the fair. We were glad we were at our room and could enjoy a drink, relax, watch the fireworks without having crowds or worry about driving. We met an off duty employee enjoying the fireworks with her husband and had the greatest conversation. Seldom do we meet people that are so down to earth. The spa treated us like royalty. The massages were great. I think the mud was too hot for the time we went. We were there fourth of July weekend and I believe it was over 100* outside, not the best time for a hot mud bath. It would be better if they updated the mud facilities which reminded me of the sixties. The rooms have some components that are updated and some reminders of the age of the facility.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 209CookieMomster

Reviewed January 9, 2014

This place isn't 'fancy' but it is relaxing. We spent three nights and enjoyed a couples massage on the second day that totally grounded us for together time. There are three pools, a warm swimming pool and two smaller (6 person) hot spas, one that was consistently under 100 degree's and the other around 103 or 104 degree's, with all day access. Nice to have a choice like that. Rooms were clean and it's a nice walk to town. We loved the bicycles and Bochi Ball court and there's even a ping pong table. I'd stay again. One does need to ask for extra towels, robes and wine glasses ... if you'd like them.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I have to admit I'm not a great fan of spas as I find them too blingy for my tastes. However, someone recommended the Golden Haven and I'm glad I went. The place is very simple with basic but comfortable rooms and a very peaceful, tranquil quality to the place (I should qualify this by saying the place wasn't heavily booked while I was there). Nice gardens and I liked the fountains with hot natural spring water.

Best of all though are the mud baths! I cannot recommend these enough. They are a glorious, deeply relaxing experience - worth every dollar. I felt wonderful afterwards.

Golden Haven might not be to everyone's tastes. If you're looking for a luxury spa stay you might come away disappointed. But if you like a calm, unshowy experience this is one of the best places to stay in Calistoga.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank William A
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed here for part of my fiance's birthday trip, really wanted to do the couples mudbath. Had a great time, the room was clean, the mudbath itself was pretty awesome, our mudbath host was great. I would highly recommend this experience! I don't know that I would have enjoyed this as much had I not been able to be side by side, but overall had a awesome time!

2  Thank Jason N
Reviewed December 13, 2013

This place is still a good deal: we enjoyed the mud bath again, had a recently remodeled room with flat screen TV, fridge, etc upstairs. Now there is a Bocci Court behind the hotel, plus more seating areas and bicycles! Guests can use the bike for 3 hours, helmets and lock are provided - a nice bonus to ride to the restaurant for lunch, or gentle bike trip through the streets of Calistoga.
One mineral bath (the one that was mildly hot) was under repair, so only the pool and the really hot jacuzzi were available.

Room Tip: very good deals outside the peak days (weekend and holidays)
3  Thank usuallyhappytravels
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Loved the place - did the "girlfriends getaway package" - room was nice and spacious, the massages were yummy, the mud bath - different, not what I expected - but ok... bed was very comfy. The mineral pools were ok - just felt a bit like a gym pool. Met all of our expectations.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sparksnv
Reviewed November 29, 2013

This was such an amazing experience - albeit a hilarious one as well. My husband and I did the mud baths and we haven't laughed that hard in years. We picked Golden Haven because they allowed us to have the whole experience together, side-by-side, and we are so happy for that. The mud was squishy and gross at times, but somehow still really relaxing and invigorating. After the mud bath we got to shower each other off and then into the mineral water hot tub where we soaked for awhile before our blanket wrap and massage. The entire time we had a private area and an attendant that checked on us, applied cool wash cloths on our forehead, gave of ice water and took hilarious pictures of us covered in mud. I would happily do this again!

4  Thank jjbenitez