“Excellent personalized service and.relaxing spa. Thank you.”

Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
“Excellent personalized service and.relaxing spa. Thank you.”
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

We were traveling when our vehicle broke down. Golden Haven is a wonderful place to be. The owners and staff (Nicole) took care of us by not only extending our stay to meet our needs but by making sure that we had a wonderful trip. The rooms are clean and comfortable and quiet. The hot pools melt away your troubles and the spa therapists ease your body aches. You can't go wrong here because it's also easy on your pocketbook. Thank you Goldenhaven.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is a reasonably priced place to stay in Calistoga. Is it luxurious? Not by any means; it is classed as a motel and they mean it. The only thing that sets it above a Super 8 is the large soaking tubs and attached spa facility. Yes, it's clean and the people are nice -- but there are no frills here. I'd give the motel 3 stars at best - I'd go back if I just wanted a cheap weekend and someplace to sleep between spa treatments.

The spa is where it's at. It's not impressive (it's a small building) but the masseurs are pretty good. I went here after an especially nasty back injury and did the herbal mineral bath (instead of a mud bath), blanket wrap and massage. This is one of the better massages I've had, and it was cheap. The spa staff was really nice and laid back - it's not your average hoity toity spa experience. I'd suggest you bring your own flip flops and robe, as they are not provided. It's also wise to check out their online coupons before booking.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Melissa T
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Car trouble almost made us cancel our vacation entirely. Instead, we decided to wait another day and rent a car. I am glad we decided to continue our vacation because I had a great time at the Golden Haven Hot Springs Spa. The herbal facial treatment was really relaxing and soothing. It made my skin look more vibrant. The cottages are awesome because they're as big as a studio and quite reasonably priced. The staff at Golden Haven were able to accommodate our needs, regarding the rooms. Everybody was really friendly. I will be coming back if I am ever in the Napa Valley.

Room Tip: The people at the front desk are really friendly.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Oakdale, California, United States
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We did not stay at the hotel but we did have spa treatment done. We had the mud bath, facial, and massage. First, it was very affordable. The mud bath was amazing. It is definitely and experience. All of the people that helped us were very polite and professional.

Room Tip: Try the mud bath!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vita P
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Spent one night here very recently in order to soak and enjoy the mud. Because the reviews seemed to be all over the place, I decided to write in.

Why did I choose GHHS: a friend/neighbor that I trust has stayed there and recommended it; there was a good package deal available for one night and mud bath for a couple. Even though my partner wasn't interested in the mud bath, it was still a good deal.

What was my own GHHS experience like:
The price I was quoted over the phone was in line with what was advertised online, and is the amount of the pending charge on my credit card. If that changes, I will come back and update.

Every employee that I dealt with was friendly and competent -- whether by phone or in person. The spa attendant who looked after me during the mud bath -- Sara -- was, in particular, quite sweet and accommodating. Ask for her! Leave her a tip!

The room was comfortable and pleasant -- decor recently updated, very spacious, high ceilings, and clean. I was really pleasantly surprised.

My only criticisms for the whole stay is that the fridge in the room hummed loudly and this was noticeable overnight -- and the bed (king-sized) was okay -- a little too much movement/slightly bouncy for me. Well, I still managed to get a good night's sleep.

The pools -- I thought the larger pool for swimming would be a bit warmer than it was but I cannot handle being in water that's much cooler than 90 degrees. But, it was indoors and I got acclimated in order to swim laps for a while. Right next to the pool are two jacuzzis, one slightly hotter than the other. A great set-up for heating up and cooling down if that's what you like.

The place is well-maintained overall. It's off the beaten track, a number of blocks over from Lincoln, but the walk through the neighborhood in between Lake and Lincoln is easy (safe, of course, and pleasant). Probably, many folks choose to drive. Also good to know: only four blocks east, where Lake converges with Lincoln and Silverado, is a trailhead for Oat Hill Mine Road, which looks like a great place for hike. No time to try on this visit but next time I will plan to stay at GHHS and tackle the trail (along with the pools and mud bath of course).

Overall, this spa is low-key, quiet, clean, cared for and vibrant -- I did NOT get the feeling that I was misled or drawn into staying at a place that is actually just so-so or worse, a dump! Golden Haven is a great place for its price point.

Room Tip: Our room was on the end -- along Lake. No problems, it was quiet. Rooms have designated parking spac...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chermanka
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just left the Golden Haven Spa where we spent a night and woke up to an early morning massage. We have been coming to this spa for years for a massage but this is the first time we spent the night. Having tried many of the Calistoga massage facilities we always come back here because they consistently have the best quality massage. The prices are very reasonable compared to other Napa Valley Spas. The facilities are dated and the sleeping rooms are older with thin walls mattresses that could be more comfortable but you would only stay here if you are using the spa services and that is what excels at the Golden Haven. The mud baths and mineral pools are very relaxing and we will continue to use the spa services in the future.

• Stayed March 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We spent one night at the Golden Haven Hot Springs in the Superior Room. We were a group of 4 girlfriends in the Valley to relax and enjoy some excellent wines. We started at GHHS and spent the morning in the mud baths, mineral pools, and massage.

The Girlfriends Spa Package worked great for us. The room and the spa experience were great. Three of us had never been to Calistoga or had a mud bath so it was a new thrill to get into the baths. The Spa is not a luxury / sterile experience like spas in other places. You will immerse yourself in warm mud for starters, but that is the whole point. After that you are clean and refreshed as you enjoy the mineral bath and massage/facial. The Superior room was plenty big for the four of us and had a kitchenette for coffee, light breakfast preparation.

Great value, relaxing and enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: The Superior room is great for 4 people.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends