“Beautiful, cozy place - can't wait to return”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Calistoga
Mountain Home Ranch
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed February 3, 2011

I stayed at Mountain Home Ranch for one week, and I can't wait to go back. The place is set on beautiful grounds, with beautiful hiking trails nearby that go for miles. The food is delicious and the rooms are cozy. The rooms are not typical hotel-type rooms - mine had both a king and a double bed, but they had character. I recommend MHR highly for anyone looking for a quiet retreat, a bed and breakfast, or a place to go with a group.

• Stayed: January 2011

Reviewed February 3, 2011

I was assisting on a retreat that my group held at MHR and the few moments I had to walk away from the main ground were breathtaking views, beautiful trees and mountains. I can't wait to go for a weekend on my own so I can see more of it. I love the horses, cows and goats nearby and supply of carrots to help me interact with them. I found John and Suzanne friendly, helpful and easy to find if me or my group had questions or needs. Beds are comfy and cabins warm so I wasn't freezing as I do when camping. AND just an hour plus from the good old Bay where I live. So close what are you waiting for?!

Reviewed February 1, 2011

I have stayed at Mountain Home Ranch for at least five week long conferences. My last visit was in 2008. This past week, I was reminded why this is one of my favorite locations for retreats. My participants and I have enjoyed it so much, we're already planning to schedule three of our retreats there in 2012!

What I enjoy:
* The owners. John and Suzanne, are incredibly supportive and appreciative. They were flexible about assigning rooms, getting my team's rooms ready early and the common spaces ready so that our team could move in and begin meeting before our participants came. John shared many small jokes and anecdotes about the history of the property. I had the sense of visiting with a family friend.

*The facility. The large meeting space (AKA The Barn) is a sweet space for a large group to meet - lots of light, windows, etc. My group of 41 had lots of space for dancing and drumming, in addition to small group sessions. The meditation room with its plush couches and wood burning stove was a comfy break out area. The library/game room in the lodge also provided plenty of break out space. Lots of outdoor seating gave us plenty of options to enjoy meals outdoors or in. My bedrooms had incredibly comfortable beds; the best shower I've had in a long time with strong water pressure and plenty of hot water. Rocking chairs and two convertible chairs in my bedroom, in addition to the table and chairs in our kitchen area, also provided a spacious option for members of the leadership team of our program to meet.

*The food. They consistently provided multiple food options for vegan, vegetarian and meat eaters, with modifications for those with diet restrictions, such as gluten free. My participants reported to me their delight at the variety of food offerings and the overall yumminess of the food - a relief for me as event organizer. My favorites were the hot from the oven, baked-from scratch breads and muffins; the fruit chutneys and spreads made from produce grown on site; the yummy coconut sorbet; and the roasted sunflower seeds.

*The land and environment is incredibly restful to me. Delightful nature walks to the bublling creek, the majestic overlook into deep canyons, the lake - many places to sit in solitude or walk with a friend. I feel especially honored to be on this land when I see the care with which John and Suzanne work to bring permaculture techniques that nourish the environmen to the caretaking of the land.

* The animals. Each day, John puts out a big basket of carrots which you can use to feed the horses and cows. (This was my children's favorite activity on a previous visit). The chickens, cows and goat, horses were wonderful part of the environment for my nature-starved eyes. The dogs and cats who roam free on the property are very well-behaved - available for petting, but not intrusive. At night, the loud croaking of the frogs in January were a delightful surprise.

*The pool - I didn't go into the pool this time because I forgot my swimsuit. I mention it here because one of the two pools is heated year round- we had delightful weather for our stay and several of our participants really enjoyed frolicing in the pool. When you visit, bring your swimsuit even if you think you won't use it!

*Internet access. Despite being high in the mountains, I had reliable wireless internet access for my laptop in my room, in the meeting spaces and the dining room. They also provided a computer with a printer for guests to use in the library/gameroom that several of my participants used.

I could go on and on about the reasons why Mountain Home Ranch is such a great site for me and the participants in our year long leadership program (who come from 3 continents). I invite you instead to come visit for yourself!

Roxy

1  Thank roxyanne10
Reviewed January 28, 2011

I stayed at the Mountain Home Ranch for a week long retreat. The location is private and rural yet very close to town. The beauty of the property, the cozy accommodations, ample meeting spaces, healthy food, the helpful and friendly staff and the presence of so many animals (horses, goats, chickens, cows and especially the gentle dogs) all helped to create a sanctuary for learning and relaxation for the week. It was January so I didn't use the pools, although they looked inviting for warmer weather.

Reviewed January 19, 2011

Across two countries, and a continent, we found MHR and John and Suzanne didn't disappoint. Our cabin was spacious and had the best bed we've found in over 5 years of traveling! Each evening, Jessica, the dog, dropped by for an ear rub, and every morning before breakfast, Pebbles, the goat, tried to wean me from my smoking habit. We had the run of the place for the mid-week and between hiking and relaxing we couldn't have found a better place to totally relax. It was home, without the responsibility.
Breakfast was tasty, with fruit, local farmed eggs and fresh baking. (The maple leaf shaped biscuits were a nice "detente" touch!)
This place isn't for everyone. If you want to be continually catered to during your stay, it's not going to happen. But if you need a place to reconnect with what's really important in life, this is the place.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2010

We stayed for one Saturday night after a day of wine tasting. The rooms were spotlessly clean and the homemade breakfast was delicious. Lots of cats and dogs around - it felt just like home. There is a very loud rooster that might wake you up at 5 am- he didn't bother me and I'm usually a light sleeper but my Dad was a bit annoyed. The rooms were warm and comfortable, nothing fancy. No TV which I like, but free wireless internet in the rooms. The only thing that would make this place perfect would be a hot tub or swimming pool open in the winter. I'll be going back when the weather is warmer.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank sfteacher2
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Drive up Petrified Forest Road from Calistoga. You'll be heading over the mountain range that separates the Napa and Sonoma Valleys. Turn on Mountain Home Ranch Road. Follow the twists and turns, past small vineyards and big houses, through dark woods and across beautiful ridges, until you come to the old chuck wagon. There's a friendly place down the hill. Don't expect television or foam core mattresses or jacuzzis. The truth is my bed sagged, but the bathrooms are fine, and they have plenty of paperbacks, so you can read a book at night. And there's an excellent breakfast too. Most importantly, the place is run by warm, friendly people proud of their three generations on a beautiful spead of canyons, hiking trails, redwood groves, and a genuine sulphur warm spring. If you're looking for jumping bellhops and room service, go somewhere else, but if you want a different kind of relaxation, try it. We were glad we did.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple