“Can't wait to stay here again”

Indian Springs Resort and Spa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Rhode Island
“Can't wait to stay here again”
Reviewed September 16, 2006

My husband and I took a seven day vacation down the California Coast and were lucky enough to spend 3 days at Indian Springs. My husband's cousin, a San Francisco resident, had highly recommended Indian Springs to us as a place in Napa Valley that was wonderful and yet was not outrageous in price. We had Bungalow 11 which was fabulous. Snacks and drinks provided daily in the cottage which was complete with flat screen tv and lush robes. The 90+ degree pool was to die for, and the mud bath was quite an experience -- never have I experienced such relaxation. The rest of our trip simply could not compare to our stay at Indian Springs. We cannot wait to go back there.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
8 Thank maxlough

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
boston ma
Reviewed September 6, 2006

We have been going up to Calistoga for about 5 years, when we visit San Francisco. My traveling companion does the mud bath thing, massage ,healing treatment. As for me, I just relax in the little bungalow we stay in ,look out at the mountains and enojoy the scenery, until she returns. Then we go off to the little center and have a light dinner. The surroundings at the hotel are just perfect and on the next morning I go for a swim in the heated mineral pool. One of the great traveling experiences. My only hesitation is praising this small place too much and the crowds might start to show up.
Our sense is that not many East Coast folks trek up the mountains to Calistoga.
The bungalows are great little houses actually, and we only wish we could have such accommodations when we travel elsewhere. Housekeeping is attentive.
Only one small problem is that windows open up only a small bit and screens are not of the permanent kind. Think I will make that suggestion to them. It can be hot up in Calistoga, but rooms have a/c and this year tempearature was moderate. One year, I rented a bike and rode around with my bicycle radio blaring.
Locals seem not all that friendly to city slickers and that may account for some attitude of some of the resort staff.
But all things considereda great little spot.

Stayed August 2006
9 Thank KarlRadek
San Francisco
Reviewed August 20, 2006

My sister, cousins, aunt and I made our yearly trip to Indian Springs Calistoga this past weekend. I was a little wary due to the recent postings, however, I was pleasantly surprised with the renovation!

Unfortunately, my prenatal massage didn't turn out to be very relaxing. The massage therapist had a horrible attitude from the moment I got there - she continued calling my name out when I hadn't even finished undressing yet, and when I told her that I needed to use the restroom first, she gave me a dirty look. To make things worse, my massage took place in a room near the laundry. Halfway through my massage, the room started to shake, the music speaker started banging against the wall, and she stated that it was just the washer on spin cycle. It must have been on spin for another 15 minutes. Hardly relaxing - especially being 8 months pregnant.

Fortunately, the front office staff was warm and friendly, and when I stated that I was not happy with the services, they quickly contacted the manager. The manager was also very attentive and offered me a gift certificate for a future visit - luckily, we're from the Bay Area.

The rest of the afternoon was wonderful while we lounged by the pool. The renovations they've made really compliment the resort! And they did have the cucumber water out by the pool!

My sister, cousins and aunt had a better experience with their spa treatments (except for one cousin whose room was also on spin cycle). Just remember to mention that you don't want the rooms near the laundry when you book!

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank MommyMoo
san francisco
Reviewed July 29, 2006

Indian Sp[rings has been an old standby for me. On May 1st we traveled to Calistoga from SF for a quick getaway and stayed in the bungalows which must have been reduced price (190.00) per night because the spa was under renovation. We had no idea it was going to happen but awakened to noise and the tearing down of the blue awnings and the putting up of the orange and brown ones(come on - what are they thinking...?). I read someone's review that the foliage was taken out. Too bad. The grounds are some of the most beautiful in Calistoga. True, the staff is bored at best and unfriendly at worst. However, the grounds, the mineral pool and all the anemities are unprecedented by any other spa in Calistoga. Maybe they will catch on to customer service? i am sorry for the new look though. The old one was more suitable and soothing to look at.

• Liked — the grounds and general atmospher
  • Disliked — the renovation
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank misssf
Reviewed July 24, 2006

I have stayed in the bungalow twice. Very relaxing. High priced for what you get however because no treatments are included. I have also visited several times for treatments & use of the pool. I returned June 06 & noticed that they remodeled the front entrance taking out all the beautiful foilage around the front fountain, and changed the decor around the pool from the blue & white to orange & brown. I personally preferred the old colors. I too noticed the water cooler was gone. I returned, for the day, July 06 & the level of the pool was down 2 feet. It was very, very hot & the cooler was still not returned. I asked several employees what was going on with the pool & was told they were repairing pipes & the water would be replaced shortly. That was at 11:00 A.M. At 5:30 P.M. the sound of water began to be returned to the pool. There was a mere 4"-6" of water in the pool from the shallow end to the 6' mark. If I was staying at the hotel I would be very disappointed. I overheard several visitors regarding this matter. I had asked one employee what the problem was & she yawned & said I don't know I was just told to come up here. I had a slight coversation with the spa manager & was not thrilled with his professionalism (actually lack of). It is a beautiful, old place but the staff is very unfriendly. I also visit the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn, their staff is extremely friendly & professional. Lessons should be given to Indian Springs.

• Liked — The privacy of the cottage & the grounds around it
  • Disliked — Cost is high-end per night for no treatments being included. check-in is late & check-out is early.
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jakeboy
Dallas, TX
Reviewed July 19, 2006

Wife and I got back a couple weeks from the Indian Springs Spa and loved it. The rooms were fantastic, very modern, and the bed was one of the most comfortable in my travels. The spa treatment my wife and I received was incredibly relaxing. First mud bath for both of us, and my wife is ready for another one. The massages we had were both great, also. I thought the customer service was very professional. Ran into the manager(Eric??) who asked how everything was, and I could tell he really cared. I would recommend staying here, and I plan on staying again.

• Liked — Rooms were comfortable and spa treatment
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank balderdash
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 2, 2006

My wife and I have visited this resort approx. 3 times a year since our first daughter was born in 2002. The kids just love the "big hot swimming pool". It is warm, clean, and shallow enough that even my 12 month old could stand and walk around.

The rooms have recently been upgraded with new furniture and carpets and tricky european heaters with pilot lights have been removed; replaced with easier to run heaters.

We love the kitchens in the bungalows which makes breakfast and snacks for the kids easy to prepare.

I too wish they would return the water that they had available both at the main office and the pool. It can be very hot in Calistoga and the pool is dehydrating as well. They should reinstate the chilled water to help quence the thirst of their guests.

• Stayed June 2006