“Loved it! Indian Springs”

Indian Springs Resort and Spa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Middletown, CA
Reviewed December 18, 2005

My girlfriend and I just got back from spending the weekend at Indian Springs. We had a perfect relaxing time. We stayed in one of the duplexes. The room was like having your own granny unit. It was...
* quiet
* clean
* comfy bed
* kitchen was roomy with microwave, toaster, refridgerator, coffee maker with coffee, and snacks

The mud was clean and it didn't smell. They separate the men from women. But just so you know you are briefly naked in front of other people when you're getting in and out of the mud, and when you get in and out of the mineral bath before you get in the sauna. There are four mud baths, you don't have a private mud bath to yourself unless no one else is scheduled for mud bath when you are. It takes a long time to wash off the mud when you're in the shower.

They serve you cold water with lemon and cucumber in the water, it tastes great.

The big outside mineral pool is awesome. It's super clean and they use just a little bit of chemicals because the water is fed from the 212 degree natural spring. It was really cold when we were there about 33 degrees so there was a lot of steam coming off the water...so much steam that you couldn't see people 20 ft away, which made if very private for my girlfriend and I.

I would definetly go again.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed October 31, 2005

My new wife and I loved Indian Springs. We stayed in the stand alone bungalow. It was very private. Its own back porch with access to a grassy area and a hamock. The bed was a queen size and a bit smaller than we are used to. The bungalow is very rustic with that "old" smell to it. Very quaint and rustic. No phones. The thermostat didn't work but the maintanence crew had it fixed by the end of the day. The best part of our stay was the pool Heated by natural hot springs to around 100 deg. F. It was like a giant jacuzzi. We'll be back!

• Stayed: October 2005
6  Thank beacho
Alameda, Ca.
Reviewed October 2, 2005

Last year my two sisters and I visited only the spa (and that was it's own lovely experience), but I took note of the darling cottages. I recently took myself to the spa and stayed over night as well. As a single woman traveling alone, I felt absolutely safe and comfortable. As I entered the cottage I was delighted with how fresh and happy it looked! It was bright and sunny and so quaint, and the fresh roses were a sweet suprise. I immediately called my boyfriend and told him I couldn't wait for him to join me. Thank you for a lovely visit!

• Stayed: September 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 19, 2005

Just came back from two nights at Indian Springs. Mixed experience.
Loved the old-fashioned, authentic (not hokey) architecture and decor of the spa and our cottage. Room had a Provencal-feel with distressed painted floor and furnishings. Comfortable bed, but with noisy window air conditioner that we turned off as evenings cool.

Close to road, but traffic only moderate. Not for those who want back-to-nature spa experience.

Attraction here is that you have a sense of authentic understated resort. Reminded me of Palm Beach in the Fifties. Palm trees, white-washed buildings, shuffle board, croquet - but all in an unpretentious way. Thermal swimming pool terrific - large enough that never felt crowded, although day-trippers are permitted. Big disappointment was the spa treatments. Two massages were [1] incomplete - extremities but not torso; and [2] not firm enough - no manipulation of muscalature, just thumping. Mud bath also was not hot. Management receptive to suggestions for improvement and provided, despite refusal, a voucher for another mud bath.

Wife had a facial which she found O.K., but not exceptional.

For a resort that's been operating as a spa this long, treatments should be of highest caliber. Problem is, as explained to me bt the spa manager, that the masseurs are independent contractors. Thus, the problem would appear to how to control quality. Before you book, you should ascertain who are the best masseurs.

Another plus was the "Buddha Pool," a calm oasis to relax on lounges after receiving your treatments.

Staff all very gracious.

• Stayed: August 2005
11  Thank car2sh
Reviewed August 11, 2005

Have been going here for years before children and then with children, yet unfortunately the service has not reflected the loyalty of their customers, as well as the quality of the enviroment has not been kept up in accordance with their prices.

I think it would be much wiser of them to treat everyone with white glove treatment especially their loyal return guests, and not expect to profit from the constant stream of tourists.

• Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank paulasullivansilver
Reviewed July 20, 2005

This place could sell itself and does. The cabins are rustic and lovely as are the pool and Buddha Pond. The problem is the staff. For instance, we found out from other guests that the pool was available from 6am-11am and 6pm -11pm only to registered guests (the rest of the time anyone using the spa service can also use the pool.) The staff also failed to mention the lovely Buddha Pond which we discovered after a massage. Worse, the office staff were unable to process simple transactions (like the purchase w/cash of a tee-shirt) because of apparent unfamiliarity with the computer system, prices, etc. We observed three other guests experiencing similar problems while we were there and there was no manager in sight. Still, it is a delightful place and if they can work out their service problems, worth checking out.

• Stayed: July 2005
12  Thank KathleenSF
san francisco , Ca.
Reviewed July 6, 2005

The Indian Springs resort is beautiful. Its my favorite in Calistoga . I have been retreating there for years. Its a place for renewal and revitalizing ones mind body and spirit. It has save my life more than once. I have a stressful life working in the entertainment business, and its a must have for myself. Working on the set of a movie shooting in the vineyards we escaped there to recover from our exhaustion of working 12 hours a day on set outside. The mud made from mostly ash does not leave a lingering after ordor as some peat moss muds have. the staff is quite kind, and respectful ,as one will be in their pajama suit at one point. It is a separate womens and mens bathing areas so no fear for the timid. The outdoor pool is refreshing after ones treatments, were swimming in bathing suits is allowed. It is a very family oriented resort. the cottages are quite lovely to rest in after a long day of pampering . Enjoy, I give it five stars.

• Stayed: July 2004, traveled on business