“Left disappointed”

Indian Springs Resort and Spa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
Reviewed November 16, 2008

I chose Indian Springs for a little 3 day get away while I had some time off in between jobs. The spa had been recommended by 3 friends and I was quite excited. I spent the first 2 days exploring downtown Calistoga and saved my last day for what I hoped would be a relaxing day at the spa. I arrived an hour early to relax and enjoy the Budha pond. When I went to check in I was told I was free to use the pool (which I had already done for 2 days since I was staying at the resort as well). When I asked if I could sit by the Budha pond instead, the lady working at the counter seemed a bit annoyed and told me I needed to go change into my robe because only robes were allowed at the Budha Pond. I was also told that usually the Budha Pond was for after your treatment, but that she would take me back there. I felt so embarrassed and uncomfortable for asking that I just went to the pool instead. If you don't want people going to the Budha Pond before their treatments, then take it out of the brochure. I came back to the spa 10 minutes prior to my mud bath so I could get into the "spa mood". At 10 past the hour I finally had to go up and ask at the front counter if there had been some sort of delay. She disappeared to go check on what was happening and I waited 5 more minutes before going back to the front counter to inquire again. Finally they came and got me 20 past the hour (and their clocks are already set 10 minutes slow...so it was really 30 past the hour). The woman interrogated me asking who took me back to the locker room explaining my ticket was placed in the wrong queue while disrobing me leaving me completely naked in an open room of other spa guests and workers all the while not explaining the procedure for the whole "relaxing" mud bath experience. I was then rushed through my mud bath/mineral bath and only given a few minutes to rest before my massage therapist came to get me. My massage ended right on time...so what happened to the 30 minutes of lost spa time?

The thing that made the whole experience even more upsetting is that when I checked out with my almost $1000 bill, no one asked me how my stay had gone. Even when I asked if they had a comment card, the hotel staff still didn't ask if something was wrong. When I tried to speak to the spa manager they asked if I could wait an hour until she got in for the day at 12 noon. I chose to fill out a comment card, which of course got no response. I have tried to call and email indian springs. I still have gotten no response.

I'm sad to report that these events sort of ruined my whole experience of Calistoga. I wanted to leave feeling rejuvenated and ready for my next adventure...and I left out a thousand bucks and feeling overall disappointed with the whole trip.

6  Thank kw_loves2travel

Reviewed October 5, 2008

My girlfriend and I travel the world quite often and stay in all kinds of hotels, from motels (Econolodge) to 4 star international hotels. So far in the US, I have never seen a hotel with $250 rooms outside a main city that does not have breakfast included! But at Indian Springs you will be given just a cup of coffee on the terrasse, nothing else!! The "Lodge" which has some nice rooms is much too close to the main road that sees a fair amount of traffic including heavy trucks...How relaxing! We were given the room the closest to the road...so we asked to get a room farther from the road. Finally, after much discussion, we were given a room away from the road. I had to go back and forth for half an hour at least from the front desk to the "lodge" which is not exactly close.

All this happened while we were told all along that there were no other available rooms...but of course! The two people sitting at the front desk never smiled to me or my girlfriend from the start and looked annoyed when I asked if they kindly could move us.

The only good part of the entire experience is the hot springs which make the pool really warm all day/night long and the possibility to take a mud bath. We did both. The owners need to seriously improve the service at Indian Springs ...and maybe lower the price of their rooms..A better deal might be for one to go to a cheaper hotel nearby and to pay a fee for the pool.. Spending 250 for the room +160 for the two mud baths was in my view too expensive.

Stayed: September 2008
4  Thank poorarthur
Reviewed September 4, 2008

Indian Springs Resort a nice place to stay, simply decorated, but cute cottages. The place is next to a main road - read into that what you will. The pool is a lovely place for relaxing so not a place to take children really i think. My son loves swimming jumping in etc, but this pool is full of adults lounging around on floats and is very quiet! I would have a look at Solage which is a bit more money but more family orientated with a nice big pool. I wish i'd stayed there instead!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 13, 2008

While the springs are wonderful, the staff is so incredibly rude, uptight and inattentive. It’s a shame because this place is so cute. As this is a place to relax (it’s a freaking spa), these guys should know better and add a little more hospitality to their business.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 10, 2008

First off, I want to say that we’ve stayed here at least four times, we’ll go again and I would heartily encourage visitors.

This review is partially for people who have stayed in the cottages and are thinking of staying in the lodge and partially for the owners to make a few adjustments.

So to be brief, Indian springs opened up a new wing a few years ago which is a ‘lodge’. We’ve always stayed in the cottages and absolutely love the place. I booked at short notice and could not get into the cottages so thought I’d give the lodge a whirl.

Unfortunately it does not compare to the cottages and I do think the price is high for the amenities delivered. The main problems are;

1. If you stay on the top floor there is a wooden walkway on either side of your room and people walk along at all hours, which can be rather annoying.
2. The rooms have an opaque glass door in the bedroom so forget laying in bed
3. The quant and quirky attraction of Indian springs does not translate into the lodge
4. It is rather remote form the main facility so it’s a trek to the pool or the spa.

Net/Net, if you stay at Indian springs, try for the cottages are this will guarantee a wonderful stay, if not, stay on the ground floor of the lodge and if all else fails, stay on the top floor and follow my pictorial of how to build a DIY blind for the opaque door.

Again, please don’t take this as a warning of the hotel, we love it, but if you’ve stayed in he cottages, keep to the cottages.

To the owners – Block off the far side deck to make individual balconies off the bedrooms, put in solid doors, drop the price more for the lodge as the gap is not representative and put up some trees so you don’t look over a Laundromat

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank GuyC
Reviewed May 5, 2008

Massage: It was fine except for all the noise going on because the rooms are more like partitions and you can hear what is going on in all the other rooms.

Bath: Not private so just be aware that many many people will see you naked that day. I kind of felt like what my dog must feel when I drop him off to get groomed - assembly line.

Staff: They were ok. Some nicer than others.

Place: The location is very nice. 40's cabana room feel to it.

Overall: I don't think I would return here. I like relaxing at spas.

Reviewed April 23, 2008

What a lovely place, great pool and the cottages and grounds were gorgeous. Only complaint and it's a biggie, it was noisy, the women (mostly) that came in there were gabbing away and had no respect for the sanctity of the place, in my past experience spas are serene peaceful places but this was not the case here. I think it needs some signs asking people to keep their voices low, especially at the Budda Pond where you go to bliss out after a treatment. The shower area and mud baths are pretty funky and old looking, I'm glad I didn't have a mud bath as they are in the room with many other women, steaming, showering, bathing.... didn't look too peaceful. Overall a wonderful place though.