New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
belmont, california
“Lovely but rustic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very expensive for a place that doesn't have a restaurant on site. Relaxing "old school" hot springs facility with an amazing huge warm pool to soak in. Not sure that we will return given all of the other choices in the area but we had a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Interested to see what the place will be like after the major addition they are currently undergoing...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank nvrnrml

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I had been there 20 years ago, and was so happy to be able to bring my kids back. They loved it as much as I did. Enough has changed to make me like it all again, while enough remained the same to bring back feelings of nostalgia. Beautiful place, beautiful setting and wonderful midnight swimming experience that will now live in the memory of my kids, like it did for me for 20 years. Thanks!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank hnya
Brian R, General Manager at Indian Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear hnya,

Thank you so much for stopping by the resort again. I am so glad you found the same old feel but with some new changes. We hope it will not take another 20 years for you or your kids to come back.

Cheers!
Santa Rosa, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We went here for my friend's 30th birthday and really enjoyed our visit. We spent most of the day at the pool while a few of us would experience the spa services at a time. Although it was a misty rainy day, the warm pool was a very nice treat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Renata M
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I will begin by saying I really like this place. It is old-school, and I hope they keep it this way, but they need to put effort into training staff who are nice, but misinformed about many of the hotel policies and gives the place a feeling like no one knows what 's going on. Solage is mentioned in several reviews in contrast a few times, and it is entirely different, so hard to compare. This was my family's first stay with our young daughter.
It feels a bit like there is no one at the helm, and there are a few reasons for this:
The problems from #1 merely annoying, to #2 which was significant enough to make me not want to return:

1. All of the staff seem to have a different idea of what the hotel policies are. Can you have one guest join you at the pool, or is there a guest charge? On the website, it says one guest may join. On the information sheet the check-in agent gives you, it says there is a charge for that one person, but it's not stated elsewhere. I will say that one staff member allowed us 3 passes since they were not busy. That's a common-sense approach to rules that I wish more establishments would take note of.

2. Booking. Indian Springs is a popular place to stay. When you try to book, one can only put in exact dates to see if there is anything available. I easily spent 45 minutes inputting various dates to see if I could find anything since our travel dates were flexible. Considering the small size of the resort, they should switch to a calendar-style of booking so that you can see at-a-glance what combination of days is available, or at-a-glance what stretches of time are booked so that you don't waste time checking every combination of days that might work. Of course one could call, and I did, and that, too took forever. Even large NYC hotels use the calendar method of booking.

3. Most importantly, and the reason for the title of my review, is that none of the staff seem to be able to agree what the property-wide policy is for smoking. We had cottage 11, and in cottage 10, which is attached with only a lattice screen between the porches of the two, there was a man who constantly was smoking a cigar. Considering the heat, we left our doors and windows open for a draft and our cottage ended up smelling of cigar. I asked the front desk what the policy was for smokers, and was told it was a smoke-free resort, and there was one area that people could smoke in away from the accommodations and that they would immediately talk to the guy in 10. Great. Next day, the guy was smoking away again. With us on our "porch", we were 2 feet away from him. I called the front desk and was told that the previous person I spoke with was wrong, and that smoking IS permitted on porches. No one called to tell me this change; thank god I didn't say something directly to the man. I was told the laws were different in Calistoga from the Bay Area, and that you can smoke anywhere. On check-out, Rosa asked if everything with our stay was good. I said Yes, except for their backwards policy on smoking. Rosa said "Oh, we have a resort-wide no-smoking policy - 30-40 feet from any hotel room or cottage". I'm not sure what 30-40 meant, is it one or the other?
The nightly cigar smoke was so frankly disgusting, and the lack of any kind of pro-active leadership lacking really turned me off. I want like this place!
To sum, it's run a bit like a family campground, with a lot of rules, some great (like the quiet-time mentioned on the information), some not so great at all (#3, smoking policy). The pool, it's raison d'être, is great, and is the main reason to go, especially since they now don't allow anyone but hotel guests to use it.
I really hope management fixes some of these problems. The place deserves it.

Room Tip: If you have a choice and it fits your budget, choose one of the cottages. Know that you will share a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Lizzy600
CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Whether a family vacation or a girls getaway, Indian Springs Resort is a great place. The hot springs pool is like no other- a raised, walled in, olympic sized pool with a beautiful setting. It is so relaxing to float on a raft or on a couple of noodles in the pool which ranges between 98-102 degrees F (approx.) The pool is hotter in the colder weather months. The cottages are comfortable and have kitchenettes (grocery store is across the street. It is fun to play shuffleboard, bocce ball and chess out in front of the cottages.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank WKCA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

We spent a whole day at the spa and pool. We did not spend a night but we will in the future! We had major regrets because we did not stay the night! It was lovely! This was our grand daughter's first experience at a spa! She is two months old and was so relaxed all day! My son and I had massages and this was a perfect esperience! The pool felt amazing especially because I have soriatic arthritis and I am always sore! Even my sinuses felt better right after the massage! The showers and service were superb! The grounds were beautiful and peaceful!

• Stayed July 2013
      Cleanliness
Brian R, General Manager at Indian Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Costapapson,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience at the resort. We are thrilled that you and your family had a wonderful day at our spa.

Regards

Brian
Southlake, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

My husband and I chose this hotel specifically to have their mud bath treatments. When we pulled in, it was a confusing hodge-podge of buildings, a bit spread apart. Not as charming as it looked on the website. We had an upstairs lodge room. It's really a renovated motel. The room was small, clean, and done in tasteful colors. The room had one small chair to sit in. On the small patio outside, there were a couple of small chairs and a small table. Nowhere to prop your feet or get comfortable. Your semi-private patio is separated from your neighbors by a small curtain panel. That's it. There is no privacy for conversations, yours or theirs. People can walk past you, which they did, as the curtain panel only goes out about 4 of the 10 feet depth of the patio. It would have been nice to have had the option to at least close your section off with a longer curtain. The room has a large picture window that looks out onto the patio. It's about three feet from the bed. You feel like you're in a fish bowl without the patio being private. My husband and I enjoyed the mud baths and massage. You are separated, male and female. We were the only patrons in the mud bath area during our baths, which was nice. FYI, they have room for five or six people to be taking a bath at the same time out in a large open area. In the morning, they serve only coffee and tea which you have to go fetch. Check out time is at 11am. If you check out past that, you are told you will incur a $200 charge. They have a lot of rules... They didn't go out of their way to give great customer service or added amenities like breakfast, mini-frig, coffee pot. Comparing Indian Springs to places we stayed in Napa, St. Helena, and Tiburon during this trip, they were priced far too high for what you got.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank PenelopesTripDiary
Dear PenelopesTripDiary,

I did want to thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the resort. I am sorry to read that you felt your experience was different than our website suggested. I can absolutely guarantee you that we try to always be honest and truthful in all of our marketing materials. We are proud of who we are and we definitely do not try to hide it.

We are always willing to listen to our guest feedback and make changes where we can. I did want to make a couple of corrections to your commentary. We do have mini-fridges in our lodge rooms (this was a new addition this year after hearing the feedback from our guests). Also we do not have 5 guests in a mudbath at one time, we rotate the tubs so that we have time to sterilize between guests.

We pride ourselves in having excellent customer service and I will definitely follow up with all of our staff and management team to ensure that this is our focus. I do believe that most people will find that our pricing is similar to other properties in the Napa area.

Thank you again for your feedback. We truly care about our guest experience and will continue to strive to ensure every guest has a wonderful memorable experience at the resort.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Solage Calistoga
Hotel Yountville
Hotel Yountville
#2 of 6 in Yountville
4.5 of 5 stars 922 reviews

Been to Indian Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!