“Not Relaxing”

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Calistoga
San Rafael, California
“Not Relaxing”
Reviewed May 5, 2008

Massage: It was fine except for all the noise going on because the rooms are more like partitions and you can hear what is going on in all the other rooms.

Bath: Not private so just be aware that many many people will see you naked that day. I kind of felt like what my dog must feel when I drop him off to get groomed - assembly line.

Staff: They were ok. Some nicer than others.

Place: The location is very nice. 40's cabana room feel to it.

Overall: I don't think I would return here. I like relaxing at spas.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
shoreline
Reviewed April 23, 2008

What a lovely place, great pool and the cottages and grounds were gorgeous. Only complaint and it's a biggie, it was noisy, the women (mostly) that came in there were gabbing away and had no respect for the sanctity of the place, in my past experience spas are serene peaceful places but this was not the case here. I think it needs some signs asking people to keep their voices low, especially at the Budda Pond where you go to bliss out after a treatment. The shower area and mud baths are pretty funky and old looking, I'm glad I didn't have a mud bath as they are in the room with many other women, steaming, showering, bathing.... didn't look too peaceful. Overall a wonderful place though.

Oakland, Ca
Reviewed March 18, 2008

We've been staying at Indian Springs for nearly 10 years now and our overall experiences have been pleasant. We've recommended it to family and friends. However, the last few
times we've gone we continue to be disappointed by the general apathy and indifference of some of the employees (mainly the
desk people). Judging from the majority of negative comments
regarding the desk people, we don't seem to be the only ones who have noticed.
We only had one day to spend at the wonderful pool (the main reason most folks love Indian Springs). When we showed-up around 8:30 AM on a Monday morning thinking we would have some peace and quiet, what we found instead was a pool area nearly devoid of lounge chairs. Normally, there are around 40 or 50 chairs around the pool. The few chairs that were there had all been taken by the few folks who arrived before us. It seems that the staff were in the process of replacing the chairs with new ones that had arrived that morning.
The front desk girl didn't know what was going on. She apologized but had no real answer as to when the chairs would be available. I suggested that we be allowed to spend a few hours in the Buddah Pond garden area (lounge chairs around a pond with trees - quite lovely). She took us to this area and said she'd let us know when the "pool project" would be finished. Two hours passed. She never returned. We went back to the pool around noon, NOTHING had been done - STILL no chairs and about 7 or 8 folks hanging around the pool looking annoyed. Most people, including myself threw our towels and robes on the pavement and got in the pool. A few employees were wandering around - some were moving chairs here and there and yelling back and forth across the pool to other workers but no one seemed to be in charge of anything.
So much for peace and quiet. We left around 1 PM and felt
cheated-out of the "restful, relaxing-round-the-pool experience" that we come here for. We were never given an adequate explanation as to why this seemingly simple project would take over 3 to 4 hours and in the process be so disruptive to guests who just wanted a quiet day by the pool.The next day, we hoped for a quiet swim and an hour or so to read the paper poolside before leaving - no such luck. It was 10AM and one of the staff was slowly working his way around the entire pool with a noisy power-sprayer. Just our bad luck I guess.
I work in the service industry. I understand the importance of customer service. I do not understand why this "spa" does not seem to be able to achieve some sort of balance between doing the necessary maintenance jobs while trying to minimize the impact it has on guests. Each time we've been to Indian Springs these past few years, we've had these kinds of disruptions. I suppose to some, these are just the things that you have to deal with. Maybe so, but it sure would be a lot easier to accept if the owners of Indian Springs would pay a little more attention to how their staff deals with guests. We're not just paying for the facilities. We are also paying for the "spa experience" which, correct me if I'm wrong, is also about reducing stress and having a calm, quiet place to spend some time.
Indian Springs should recognize who their long-time patrons are (that's what a computer customer database is for) and at least
greet those guests by name. That would be a good start. Providing guests with information about what's going on around the resort and making amends when possible would also go a long way. We don't know if we'll return. Sad.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank ptpiedmont
New York, NY
Reviewed February 18, 2008

My best friend and I stayed at Indian Springs 1 night midweek in January as a girls night away from our trip to San Francisco from New York City. We were in one of the bungalows which was absolutely adorable!! It had a front porch, back porch, full kitchen complete with free snacks! It was very clean as well. The staff were MORE than helpful with giving us directions to the wineries, restaurants etc.. We were worried we wouldnt be able to use the hot springs pool due to the cold weather, but that made it even better! The pool is HUGE and delightful. It is also open late! All in all, I can't wait to make it back to the west coast to spend another evening at Indian Springs.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank xlightsoutx
California, Maryland
Reviewed November 28, 2007

Been staying at Indian Springs off and on for years. Always been a great place to stay. Always clean, great location, plenty to do, even in poor weather. It took me a few times, but now I just expect it...they are rude at the front desk. Have always been, at least for the last 15 years I've been staying there. I don't take it too personally any longer because it has happened so many times. This last stay did anger me a bit more because they initially didn't put my group in the same duplex. I asked and was told they couldn't accomodate that request. One of the ladies in our party didn't agree, so went and asked again. She reluctanly agreed to place us next to each other. There was no reason for the inital refusal except to be a little nasty and unaccomodating. If management could just fix this one aspect of the resort I would give it an excellent review. Its funky, 1940's style isn't for everyone, but its warm, inviting, all rooms are decorated the same, so you don't need to request a certain unit (except if you want to be off the street) and the mineral pool is to die for. The staff in mud room are wonderful and comforting, as well as the spa employees. If only the front desk would smile and welcome their customers....

• Liked — Mineral Pool
  • Disliked — Front Desk Staff
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank ChicoCAMary
SF and the Bahamas
Reviewed November 7, 2007

One of my very favorite places in Northern California, I try to get up there at least once a year. The pool is very relaxing any time of year. Not so much for swimming, it's for floating and relaxing. The rooms are furnished in an upscale, "Pottery Barn" style. The small scale of everything and proximity to town are a plus as is the quaintness and authenticity.

2 Thank SFBahamaMama
Caliornia
Reviewed October 29, 2007

We stayed in one of the Palm Row bungalows and it was clean, charming and comfortable. Robes are provided for going to the pool and spa area. The pool is open until midnight for overnight guests - no attendant, just use your room key.

We had massages and slippers and robes are provided in the lockers.

A great place. Go midweek offseason and save more!

3 Thank Betsy H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calistoga
Mount View Hotel & Spa
Solage, an Auberge Resort
Solage, an Auberge Resort
#2 of 15 in Calistoga
Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort

Been to Indian Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!