“Journeying back in time”
Review of Sharpsteen Museum

Sharpsteen Museum
Ranked #8 of 70 things to do in Calistoga
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Gorgeously appointed museum, immaculately kept, generous inventory and comprehensive historical information. The women who volunteer there were friendly and accommodating. I was inspired to join.

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"animators"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed August 30, 2012

By museum standards, this is a tiny little place located up a side street in Calistoga. For its size, it has a huge amount about the history of Calistoga and the surrounding area. The staff was local, and all extremely well versed in the information, plus we heard several wonderful anecdotes that had not been written down. The old vacation cottage attached to the museum has some of the best preserved historical furnishings I have seen in a long time- no dust, rust, or cobwebs! The history was well presented and well labeled. A current exhibit of older jigsaw puzzles was fascinating, and the owner materializing to check up on how well the exhibit was working was a bonus we were not expecting. Speaking with him was great fun, and we learned a lot more about the puzzles from a very enthusiastic source! I would definitely recommend taking an hour or two and checking out a non-winery oriented piece of the local history.

1  Thank bookwoman54
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Fascinating place, a man named Sharpsteen was a principal animator on the Disney classics like Snow White, Fantasia, etc, and he spent his vacations in Calistoga for many years. He loved the town and donated a ton of Disney memorabilia.
There are also a number of historical exhibits on the town itself. We really loved it and the curator is super nice.
It's just off Lincoln about 120 feet from the Yo Rey organic coffee shop.

1  Thank SantaCruzElvisC
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We were told the second we arrived it was a"self guided tour"... Nothing could be further from the truth. The same person that said those words to me followed me around and would not stop telling me earfulls of unsolicited information. It made the whole experience unwelcoming to me. I simply wanted to explore on my own. Even after telling this person " i will let you know if I have any Questions" They were unyeilding. Unfortunately, I never had the chance to really take the tour or leave a modest donation. As soon as someone else walked in, we made a run for the exit